By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - According to NPD, Rock Revolution for Wii sold exactly 2 (two) copies!

I was reading this news in Gamespot and I thought it was too funny to not post it

There are also console breakdowns for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, for anyone interested

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201179.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

Besides Wii Music's no-show, another mystery about yesterday's NPD numbers was the absence of two of the biggest games of the season. Nowhere to be found were Guitar Hero World Tour, the newest entry in Activision's billion-dollar rhythm series, and Rock Band 2, the latest installment in MTV Games' own seven-million-unit franchise. How could these two headline-grabbing, money-minting franchises be missing in action?

The answer is simple. The NPD Group, the US' game-industry research firm of record, issues its best-seller lists based on SKU (Stock Keeping Unit), retail shorthand for a single product. Each iteration of a game on a different platform is its own SKU, and every subconfiguration--bundles, special editions, etc.--is also a different SKU. With no less than 11 Guitar Hero World Tour and four Rock Band 2 configurations, the two games simply spread themselves too thin, SKU-wise, to make the cut.

Now, the release of the raw October NPD data allows for the tabulation of the two games' total sales. Unsurprisingly, Guitar Hero World Tour, available on four consoles, was the winner with just over 534,000 units sold for the month. The most popular platform was the Xbox 360 (190,000 units), followed by the Wii (182,845), PlayStation 3 (96,657), and PlayStation 2 (63,462).

Rock Band 2's second-place finish wasn't too shabby either, with sales split almost evenly amongst its two platforms. NPD reports US retailers sold 238,128 units of the game during October, 119,569 being of the 360 variety, and 118,559 bearing the PlayStation 3 mark. The PS3 version of the game went on sale October 17, nearly a month after the 360 Rock Band 2. Wii and PlayStation 2 editions are expected next month.

Unfortunately, October was not nearly as kind to the third instrument-based rhythm game released during the month, Rock Revolution. According to NPD figures, Konami's critically savaged title sold under 3,000 units across the entirety of the country during the month. According to the data, the game sold 1,442 for the 360, 816 for the PS3, 666 for the DS, and only two copies for the Wii.

Requests for verification of that suspect Wii figure had not been answered by NPD nor Konami as of press time. However, it must be noted that NPD data is from a survey of retailers, so it's likely a number that low is some sort of statistical mistake. Adding to the mystery is the fact the Wii edition of Rock Revolution is currently out of stock on Amazon.com, and rumors of shipping problems from the manufacturer in Asia.+

I don't know what to say...it's some kind of funny

Around the Network

I doubt that's true for obvious reasons, but it is funny. NPD=inaccurate, I'm totally going to VGchartz now.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Which means Wii wins more haha. Least amount of copies for that game is for the best.

That cant be true.

Only thing i can think about this.... Wii ownerz are smart.

Around the Network

its probaly not true, but im suprised the game is selling at all. why buy that?

Konami has no motivation to make a good product, when they are being paid by the competing products for their patents.

Great news. It shows that people know what to avoid. Konami is mostly a shovelware company for the Wii, so this is in fact encouraging.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Well it obviously didn't sell much, but NPD won't bother with figures that low so it's obviously a mistake.... hell I am sure the GBA sold more (still new) consoles than that last month but NPD stopped tracking GBA months ago.

That is impossible. That would be the lowest debut in game history!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."