By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix Do Have Loyalty: To Their Wallets

Soriku said:

I don't think this has been posted here before (searched for a bit, found nothing). This was posted last month at the end of TGS (10/12). Anyway, since we've been talking about SE, I might as well post this...

http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/square-enix-do-have-loyalty-to-their-wallets--31.html

Much has been said recently about Square Enix turning their back on Sony, as in the last 6 months, Square Enix have seemed to shift camps and now appear to be courting Microsoft much more than anyone else. This is primarily down to the shock announcement revolving around Final Fantasy XIII, when at E3 earlier this year, Square Enix announced that it was no longer a Playstation 3 exclusive in North America and Europe.

Further rumours have been abound recently due to the Tokyo Game Show 2008, where Microsoft had its booth right next to where Square Enix set up. Comments from Yoichi Wada during his keynote speech also helped to ignite the fire, but the question is, where do Square Enix's loyalties actually lie? Is this all being blown completely out of proportion?

The short answer is yes. Prior to when titles started being released en masse in the current generation of consoles (DS, PSP, XBox 360), Square Enix had released 33 original titles (remakes not included). A massive 82% of those titles were on the Playstation 2, with them only releasing 1 title on another home console, Crystal Chronicles on the Nintendo GameCube. The only other console which saw any kind of releases was the GameBoy Advance, which had 5 titles.

The simple reason for this, is that the Playstation 2 dominated absolutely everything. Not even the GameBoy Advance (which sold 81m units) could touch the Playstation 2, and the GameCube/Xbox certainly couldn't hope to dent its armour. From a financial perspective, there would be no real incentive to produce games for anything other than the Playstation 2.

However, with the advent of the new generation things changed slightly. Square Enix's loyalty didn't change though, as their loyalty has always been to the most profitable resource. So far this generation, the most profitable resource isn't the Xbox 360 and it isn't the Wii, it's the Nintendo DS. Conversely, since the Playstation 2 went out of mass production, Square Enix have released 40 titles and due to the nature of a much more competitive landscape, Square Enix's strategy has changed slightly.

Out of the 40 original titles developed (or in development) for the current generation consoles, 45% of them have been for the DS, whereas only 10% have been for the Playstation 3. The PSP has had big hitter titles such as Crisis Core and Dissidia, while titles like Rapture are still in the balance.

The interesting pattern here though, is that the percentage of titles developed for a console is almost identical to that of the percentage of consoles sold this generation. The only deviation from this being that the Xbox 360 has one more title in development than the Wii.

So, in conclusion, Square Enix have only ever had loyalty to the company which can prove they will give them the most return on their investement. For this generation, that company is currently Nintendo due to the massive success of the Nintendo DS and you can all but guarantee that if the Wii had the same number of sales that the DS did right now, then we would have a similar situation to the last generation with the Playstation 2. Will Square Enix decide to buck the trend if the Playstation 3 picks up some speed? More than likely, but it's up to Sony to prove that the Playstation 3 is worth Square Enix's investment.

Edit: Whoops, posted in Nintendo section instead of Gaming! >_<

@Bolded/Underlined- Lol i've been saying this for the longst time now.

Anyways, yeah this is why Besides Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII aswell as Star Ocean 4 i think Square Enix will no longer Create nor Publish Epic games for the PS3/360 And the wii is out of the question as long as they have anything to say about it. Basicly this is how Square Enix is thinking right here and now at present.

Square Enix: Oh-ho-ho Lets make a Sh*T load of games for the DS since alot of people have it, so we can make lots of money to reassure us if Final Fantasy XIII Flops Yay for us being smart asses!

Square Enix: And hell, lets throw in a few PSP game in there aswell since its sold Quite alot aswell! Yay for us Again!

Square Enix: Ooohhh, MicroSoft Kindly flashed some Yen, We give THEM Star Ocean 4! ...for At Least a little while...

Square Enix: Hmm, We really Should give Sony SOMETHING outta this, since we got rich off them for the past 5+ years so... hmmmm... OH HEY Tetsuya Nomura Why dont you take the Lead of Final Fantasy "VERSUS" XIII Exclusively for the PS3 Since your a Sony Fanboy!!!

Tetsuya Nomura:...Kay... *Thinks to self* "Oh gawd im so gonna make nearly half the cast Final Fantasy VII Inspired and Make the men look like really pretty Women oh Shiiiiizzzzz, dis is gunna be teh Epiczzzzzz"...

Square Enix: Uh... Tetsuya?

Tetsuya Nomura:...ERM... O_0 Im on it!!! BUT i'll need the entire kingdom Hearts and Advent-Children Staff to make the game a reality!

Square Enix: Done!

Tetsuya Nomura: ^_^

Square Enix: OKAY Now that thats settled were Set for 2008 and 2009 in both Japan and the US!

Square Enix Underling: But uhm...Sir?...

Square Enix: Mmmm?.....

Square Enix Underling: What About the Wii?...

Square Enix:...The...What?...

FIN

Lol Sorry i just had to.

Around the Network

This graph has to be gibberish. Square Enix has not released a Ps3 game. How can it then account for 10% of the total sales?

Not only that, but Wii only has 1 game that has sold more than tops 50K, and that sold 730K (DQ:MS). Unless SE has sold less than 5M this gen, something is odd.

The graph is nonsense.

Looking at VGChartz figures, it is more like this.

DS -  30 titles, ~ 11M software

PsP -  10 titles ~ 4M software

Wii - 3 titles ~ 1M software

X360 - 5 titles ~ 0.5M software

So DS = over 66% sales. PsP = ~ 25% consoles = ~ 10% Ps3 = 0%

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

EDIT: Sorry this was off topic a lot lol, i just started rambling..

Tao, I think what people are getting at here is that some people are willing to boycott Square because of their money concern.
We still haven't seen an ff7 remake yet, and if square went multiplat with that game, whoa I wouldn't wanna see that....

In fact, thinking about it, I could see square charging sony to make ff7 because it would sell literally millions of ps3s. Maybe that is why they haven;t made it yet, because sony hasn't paid yet, or sony doesn't want to sell consoles until costs come down....

this is since launch right? SE has 2 games on wii just off the top of my head, DQ swords and chocobo's dungeon, both did pretty well especially if you look at the sales of the new chocobo's dungeon on DS.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

SE are loyal to their wallets and their beliefs. They believe Wii is the Devil, so they will not support the Devil.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

LOL that was an epic title for this thread.

Yeah, just like all companies they care about money. Expect to see more support from Square for the Wii than u saw for GC.

A lot of companies may be supporting PS360 more than Wii but at least Wii is getting more games from them than GC got :)

And every year the support will keep increasing.

The ps3 has gotten not one Square enix game, I dont know how it ended up on that chart..

mM
arsenal009 said:
Yeah, just like all companies they care about money. Expect to see more support from Square for the Wii than u saw for GC.

A lot of companies may be supporting PS360 more than Wii but at least Wii is getting more games from them than GC got :)

And every year the support will keep increasing.

well technically it already has more support than the GC, GC only got 1 game, wii has 2 out right now plus 2 at least 2 more coming.  However if you look at what the 360 is getting it is confusing.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Why would a 3rd party developer have loyalty to a particular company? Of course they want to maximise their money made