By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If PSN was released with the PS2, would Xbox Live face some competition

When the Xbox was released in 2002, they debuted it with the Xbox Live. However, Xbox LIVE still couldn't compete with the amazing PS2 sales during PS2 first 2 years. I always thought if Sony decide to debut Playstation Network with the PS2, would Xbox Live face fierce competition?and Would PSN be 10x better than it is now? The most important question is would PSN and Xbox Live have almost he same amount of users online? 

What do you guys think would have happen? 

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Around the Network

@axumblade, just think about how much things would be different. I guess things happen for a reason. Sony wasn't always going to be #1. They get a second chance next generation.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Snake612 said:

When the Xbox was released in 2002, they debuted it with the Xbox Live. However, Xbox LIVE still couldn't compete with the amazing PS2 sales during PS2 first 2 years. I always thought if Sony decide to debut Playstation Network with the PS2, would Xbox Live face fierce competition?and Would PSN be 10x better than it is now? The most important question is would PSN and Xbox Live have almost he same amount of users online? 

PSN wouldn't have  been what it is today or this gen without the existence of Xbox live. Sony would've never thought of what PSN has today on their own. Dreamcast would've but Sony wouldn't.

Imo, if there was no Xbox Live there would be no PSN, i hate to say it but Sony realized the power and sucess of the "Online" world most likely from Xbox Live. and thats how PSN was thought of, BUT as for how well both services are PSN will catch up to XBL one day thats for certain, its all ready doing pretty well now imo.

Snake612 said:

As of right now, PSN has about 14 million users. Xbox LIVE is a little over 10 million, but you have to take into account that it's Gold and Silver subscriptions combined, meaning not 10 million people actually play each other. With PSN, all those people can play each other so from a pure numbers standpoint, PSN already has more users than XBL

Edit: And I know multiple accounts can be made, but the same can be done on one Xbox with a Silver subscription

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Snake612 said:

As of right now, PSN has about 14 million users. Xbox LIVE is a little over 10 million, but you have to take into account that it's Gold and Silver subscriptions combined, meaning not 10 million people actually play each other. With PSN, all those people can play each other so from a pure numbers standpoint, PSN already has more users than XBL

I never thought of it that way, but yeah your right lol.

It might not have impacted the Live that much, but PSN would probably work better now, and Home may have been released quicker.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

BMaker11 said:As of right now, PSN has about 14 million users. Xbox LIVE is a little over 10 million, but you have to take into account that it's Gold and Silver subscriptions combined, meaning not 10 million people actually play each other. With PSN, all those people can play each other so from a pure numbers standpoint, PSN already has more users than XBL

Edit: And I know multiple accounts can be made, but the same can be done on one Xbox with a Silver subscription

I am fairly certain your numbers for PSN and XBL members are incorrect. In May of this year XBL had 12 million members and PSN had 8 million. It would be appreciated if you provided some sources to corroborate your numbers. 

I don't think the ps2 could have supported such a feature anyway

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
I don't think the ps2 could have supported such a feature anyway

If it was DVD disk-based it could have.