By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii SW sales in Japan for 2008.

@Oyv: I'm worried about Wii not being a viable console for games other than their own big franchises, as we have been seeing in 2008.
2007 was more encouraging, but 2008 was just a terrible year for new releases. I'll agree that PS3 is also seeing a big decline overall, but Wii is ranging from poor to pathetic.

Edit: Also out of all those 500k+ selling games you pointed out (where there's only 1 3rd party game), only 2 of them were released in 2008. It clearly shows that Wii is losing steam, or maybe that there has been no worthy games released so far, and the only ones coming up that may do that are Wii Sports, AC and MH3. Nothing else will sell more than 500k in Japan.

Edit 2: PS2 saw an increase in 500k+ sellers on its second year, while Wii saw a sharp decrease.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
@ItsaMii: I like how Wii fans get pissed about this when I say it, but it's the truth. I'm not a kid, I don't like crappy shooters like you kiddo imply. This has got nothing to do with gaming tastes, what's really surprising IMO is seeing that the Wii is so buried in terms of SW sales, not even the sequel to We Ski sold remotely decent, when the first game sold well. Games like Tenchu 4, which prequels have sold relatively good before, bombed badly. Even Wii Music isn't doing that hot.

I can only figure out that the Wii userbase there is made up in the majority of casual gamers. Casual not meaning gamers who like party games and stuff, but casual meaning people who barely play games, and only bought the Wii just because.

First of all I am allergic to stupid arguments and faulty logic no matter where it comes from. Second, I wonder if you are truly not that smart or you are just FUD spewing fake Wii supporter. You can`t go right and left at the same time. You support muttually exclusive arguments.

1) You tell us it is a bad thing that 3rd party software don`t sell enough  on the Wii

2) You make threads telling us that nearly every 3rd party game on the Wii is crap and hope they flop

What is your logical conclusion? We should buy more shovelware so that 3rd parties support the Wii with high quality games?

Also, you make a lot of lame points. You did not name a game that deserve to sell more and/or sold less than previous installments.

I can explain We Ski. It is simple people bought the first one, it was an ok game. Then they decided to release another one believing that the brandname alone would sell it. They make the sequel with the same engine and 70% of the content equal to the last one. They expect people to pay full price for this. The same is happening with Carnival games, RRR, Game Party. Do you see a trend? The audience that buys the same game every year is Xbox 360 crowd. The most "hardcore" and proud gamers around. These "casuals" are smarter than most people give them credit for.  For every successful Carnival Games there are more than 10 minigame compilations that barelly break the 10 k barrier. If you really feel bad for the sequel to those games doing less than good, you should really get your head checked.

You did not see or play Tenchu 4. It got everything you love in Wii game. Waggle for simple commands like moving, attacking, rolling, dodge. Graphics to make the PS2 laugh at it. Dumbed down gameplay for the retarded Wii userbase that never played a game before. Also, Tenchu series was never a good one. It is know for its glitches and crappy controls and mediocre visuals.

Last you made very stupid assumptions about 3rd parties. The PS3 being the better platfom. Did you ignore profit and development cycles when examining those games? Do you really think that Namco is happy with those 140 k Soul Calibur 4 sales? Family Trainer made almost the same in revenue (same units sold) and did not take 2 years of development and talented guys. Tales of Symphonia RK cost a fraction of what Soul Calibur 4 and Tales of Vesperia (a good assumption) and outsold both. The floptastic Infinite Undiscovery had a hard time outselling the Chocobo game for the Wii. The crappy FF for Wiiware may even get a bigger raw profit than UI. Are you telling me that Konami is jumping in joy that after 3-4 years in development and a budget of almost 100 million bucks, MGS 4 sold 660 k in Japan? Even worldwide it may still be in the break even, small profit stage. A Sega arcade port (Ghost Squad) sold almost the same as Virtua Fighter. Where do you think those losses that Sega suffered in previous quarters came from, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic and Mario, arcade porsts (House of the Dead, Ghost Squad), Sonic and the secret rings?

Summing up: you wish the Wii userbase bought more minigame compilations, ports, licensed shovelware, decadent franchises (Tenchu, DBZ, Toshiden) and spin offs that could make any fan cry (Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania Judgement).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

trestres said:
senortaco said:
trestres said:
@senortaco: Which of those games do you see being a big hit like Wii Sports Resort or Animal Crossing?

I honestly doubt any of those games will sell more than what the average 1st party game sells.

So in order for a game to be decent it has to register Wii sports, or Gow2(us sales) figures? You don't see the Tansunko -v- Capcom selling at all? Taiko Drum Master either? Sonic Unleashed?

...The problem I see here is an issue of the quality of the the 3rd party games SO FAR, PLUS the PS2 still being a viable option in Japan.

I still want your opinion on what Current gen system you feel could fill that void? Sony? Microsoft? Right now the Wii for has the most japanese centric games upcoming. Thats what I wanted to show you with that list.

Whoever said that those games weren't decent? I said they won't sell even close to the average selling 1st party game there. I never talked about quality.

My opinion is that PS3 could be that machine, considering its 3rd party SW lineup, but price is preventing it. As for Wii having the majority of Japanese oriented games, that is true, but almost none of those games are relevant in Japan. PS3 and 360 have way more important games in their upcoming lineups.

I apologize i meant sale decent as well.

Looking at the upcoming games for PS3, these are announced games no set release date...You feel that RE5, and Tekken will sale within the range you estabished to make them viable? FF and GT5 have the potential for PS3 but that is based on the assumption that sales will increase, instead of just get "boost" every now and then.

...Also I would think XB360 with Star Ocean, and Last Remnant, and the other JRPG would be a more viable option.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

trestres said:
@Oyv: I'm worried about Wii not being a viable console for games other than their own big franchises, as we have been seeing in 2008.
2007 was more encouraging, but 2008 was just a terrible year for new releases. I'll agree that PS3 is also seeing a big decline overall, but Wii is ranging from poor to pathetic.

Whereas the Ps2 at the time was... Even more doomed?

The only good sellers are very Japaneese oriented games (ala, not sellers in the west), or FF, Devil May Cry, MGS and GT.

The Ps2 was in a just as crappy situation, if not worse.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

outlawauron said:
senortaco said:
trestres said:
@senortaco: Which of those games do you see being a big hit like Wii Sports Resort or Animal Crossing?

I honestly doubt any of those games will sell more than what the average 1st party game sells.

So in order for a game to be decent it has to register Wii sports, or Gow2(us sales) figures? You don't see the Tansunko -v- Capcom selling at all? Taiko Drum Master either? Sonic Unleashed?

...The problem I see here is an issue of the quality of the the 3rd party games SO FAR, PLUS the PS2 still being a viable option in Japan.

I still want your opinion on what Current gen system you feel could fill that void? Sony? Microsoft? Right now the Wii for has the most japanese centric games upcoming. Thats what I wanted to show you with that list.

Wait, you actually expect a fighting game that isn't apart of the main big three (Tekken, SC, and SF). Tansunko vs. Capcom will sell terribly. Fighting games sales are in a huge decline.

And he wasn't talking about quality either.

That has SF(Street Fighter) characters in it correct? Yes/No?

@Bold: If fighting game sales are on the decline then it would effect the BIG 3 as well right?

....I feel Quality=legs which in turns = sales, YES he wasn't talking about quality and I apologize for that, BUT as I stated

"The Problem I see here is an issue of the quality of the 3rd party games SO FAR"

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
senortaco said:
trestres said:

Wait, you actually expect a fighting game that isn't apart of the main big three (Tekken, SC, and SF). Tansunko vs. Capcom will sell terribly. Fighting games sales are in a huge decline.

Both Tansunko and Capcom characters are very popular in Japan though; I reckon it will sell pretty good, 100k-250k total.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
trestres said:

Whereas the Ps2 at the time was... Even more doomed?

The only good sellers are very Japaneese oriented games (ala, not sellers in the west), or FF, Devil May Cry, MGS and GT.

The Ps2 was in a just as crappy situation, if not worse.

AGREED, as your statistics showed. Thank you for those numbers btw.

I hope We Ski not selling is a sign that consumers are getting tired of minigame compilations. This is where the Birdman will flop hard if they don't make new experiences instead of the same game over and over again.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Dude, you realize that Japan is in a major funk at the moment don't you? I mean the biggest hit to their economy in years not to mention it was slightly stagnant before the whole wall street bomb a few weeks back... people are more worried about their lives then games at the moment...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

routsounmanman said:
outlawauron said:
senortaco said:
trestres said:

Both Tansunko and Capcom characters are very popular in Japan though; I reckon it will sell pretty good, 100k-250k total.

I agreed. I'm not even sure he knew Tansunko -v- Capom has SF fighters in it.