By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge Issue 196 Reviews

Another point I missed, according to this, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, is better than Resistance 2.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I've played both Fallout 3 and Fable 2. I love shooters and RPGs the same amount. I haven't noticed many glitches on either, and the only slowdown I've ever had on Fable 2 was during a massive spell with tons of enemies.

To me, Fallout 3 failed miserable as a shooter, and was a decent RPG. The aiming system was a joke, though VATS helped make up for it. Fable 2 was fantastic, as both an adventure game, and as an RPG where you choose your own path. It had problems though, as my review will show in a day or a few.

Still, I'm surprised about the score they gave Resistence 2. I HIGHLY doubt it should be that low. I think EDGE rates a huge amount on the innovation a game has to offer.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:

I've played both Fallout 3 and Fable 2. I love shooters and RPGs the same amount. I haven't noticed many glitches on either, and the only slowdown I've ever had on Fable 2 was during a massive spell with tons of enemies.

To me, Fallout 3 failed miserable as a shooter, and was a decent RPG. The aiming system was a joke, though VATS helped make up for it. Fable 2 was fantastic, as both an adventure game, and as an RPG where you choose your own path. It had problems though, as my review will show in a day or a few.

Still, I'm surprised about the score they gave Resistence 2. I HIGHLY doubt it should be that low. I think EDGE rates a huge amount on the innovation a game has to offer.

You're opinion is absolutely fine...just don't use Edge as any sort of justification for it. Let it stand on its own.

Them giving the game a 9/10 is contrary to their reputation as harsh reviewers, at least we can both agree on that point.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Another point I missed, according to this, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, is better than Resistance 2.

Of course it is. The vehicle creation system in Resistance 2 sucks ass.

@kutasek-There's no need to cherry pick examples, because I've already stated I don't agree with their reviews all the time, nor any other publication's. Halo 3 happened to light someone's world up at Edge, and so did Little Big Planet. So did the Orange Box. So did Mario Galaxy. I don't think Halo 3 is a 10 myself, but there's a god damn amount of people that play that game like it's a crackpipe. I guess that reviewer saw what these people see in Halo 3.

Edit: This is how I see their review system in comparison. This doesn't account for the excessively harsh instances, but gives a good view of their difference in methodology. If you plug these into Mirror's Edge, Quantum of Solace, WaW, etc. it becomes a little easier to comprehend.

Edge The other guys
10 10
9 9.5
8 9
7 8.5
6 8
5 7.5
4 7
3 6.5
2 4.5-6
1 1-4

Here's the list with the adjusted scores:

Left 4 Dead - 9.5
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 8.5
Gears of War 2 - 9.5
Fallout 3 - 8.5
Call of Duty: World at War - 8
Resistance 2 - 8
Mirror's Edge - 7.5

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 8.5
007: Quantum of Solace - 7.5
Tomb Raider: Underworld - 9
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 8.5
Animal Crossing City Folk - 8.5
Ninjatown - 8
Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 8.5
Manhunt 2 - 7
Silent Hill: Homecoming: 8
Tom Clancy's Endwar - 9
Socom Confrontation - 7.5
Valkyria Chronicles - 8.5
Need for Speed Undercover - 6.5

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 8.5

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Shadowblind said:

You're opinion is absolutely fine...just don't use Edge as any sort of justification for it. Let it stand on its own.

Them giving the game a 9/10 is contrary to their reputation as harsh reviewers, at least we can both agree on that point.

I've never read/heard of EDGE's reviews before, so the list on the front page is the only of their reviews I've ever seen. Fable 2 getting a 9/10 after they gave Gears 2 and L4D a 9/10 seems too high. By their standards, I'd think it an 8, though a 7 is too low imo(Better then Banjo, worse then Gears 2) So yeah, I do agree with you there.

And I'm glad there are some people here who don't go ballistic because someone disagrees with them.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

Valkyria Chronicles - 7????
Resistance 2 - 6??????

FUCK YOU TO EDGE!!!!

4 ≈ One

Edge should only be used as toilet paper in third world countries.

Their reviews are pure crap and inconsistent. I really have no idea how they can come to many of the solutions that they do. Halo 3 didn't have the best campaign but they gave it a 10. Even if the online is amazing and innovative, that less then stellar campaign should bring it down. R2 didn't have the best single player and yet has amazing and innovative online but they somehow come to the conclusion that it's a 6? Probably because it didn't have co-op single player or something. And mirrors edge a 5? I can see someone rating it a 7 due to length and if they didn't find it that great but seriously, a 5?! And Fallout 3 a 7?! That is epic fail. I guess games that aren't exclusive to 360 have to be the next coming of jesus or LBP or they just fail?

PS3 Trophies

I would love nothing more than to set fire to the families of all EDGE subscribers.

No matter how you look at it, they do the very worst job of rating games in the industry.

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:
I would love nothing more than to set fire to the families of all EDGE subscribers.

No matter how you look at it, they do the very worst job of rating games in the industry.

I love it when something as innocent as a gaming hobby can be taken way too far. Maybe there is some truth in videogames being a cause for violence.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

why did somebody have to get banned in my thread!!