By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge Issue 196 Reviews

Look at Mirrors Edge (ps3) for instance.
Sitting on 81 and 8.0 users score on Metacritic and yet they could only give it a 5?
I hate to use Metacritic but it does go to show how out of line they seem to be in that one instance alone.
and of course there's the 6 for R2 where Metacritic gave it an 88
to top it all off, once these scores are factored in, the metacritic rating will no doubt have to drop.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
brute said:
WOW,they have given so many low scores,it's not even funny.

Yeah lol. Edge threads are funny because you see gamertag sigs bashing them as haters, psnID sigs calling them morons and fruity mario sigs insulting them.

Edge is like Eurogamer - they are great magazines as long as you ignore the rating and instead read the review which is usually very informative. Their reviews are usually 2-pages long which is a hindrance these days of ADD Internet.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Well Mirrors Edge is a new IP on a very new premise so its not totally out of the blue that it didnt go down well with them. Its a marmite game. But Resistance is an established shooter franchise which is better than the first game (based on all the other reviews). So I wonder why its marked so low.

Edge have given low scores before,but this is just absurd,Mirros Edge a 5??,R2 a 6??COD:WaW a 6??Fallout 3 a 7??
This is possible their worst review issue.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Well Eurogamer gave the following:
Fallout 3 - 9
CoDWaW - 8
Resistance 2 - 9

Around the Network

Well, whether the scoring is accurate or not, they have managed to get attention, and that's all they're after I think.

EaglesEye379 said:
Fallout 3 - 9
CoDWaW - 8
Resistance 2 - 9

Much better then the scores that Edge gave them.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Well if they give such a tiny scores then Tomb Raider and Animal Crossing must be both one heck of a game... GOOD!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

I don't think a 5 for mirrors edge is that strange. It's a short game, without multiplayer, with very little story, without incredibly impressive graphics. Giving it a 8 would be ridiculous because compared to other games it's lacking so much. If you take GOW2 as a 9. It has around the same length (maybe slightly longer looking at reviews), better graphics, seemingly even a better story and characters, a huge amount of multiplayer, co-op. So yea a 5 doesn't seem to far off.

I actually agree with their 7 for Fallout 3 as well. Bethesdas games lack polish. I don't care if the fallout 3 world is massive. The core gameplay is rubbish. Like playing a very bad FPS. Likewise Oblivion's combat was absoulute rubbish as well, Dark messiah of might and magic had freezing the ground to make people slip, good sword combat where equal swings would clash etc. Fallout 3's gameplay just lacks too much, the graphics aren't good (seriously the animation is horrific, especially when you consider games like GTA have managed good animation).

The only 2 I think are a little wrong is R2 and CoD:WaW. If quantum of solace is a 5 then they should be 8's or 7's at least.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

brute said:
EaglesEye379 said:
Fallout 3 - 9
CoDWaW - 8
Resistance 2 - 9

Much better then the scores that Edge gave them.

This is interesting because before eurogamer's and edge's scores were always quite close... if I recall correctly, they used to share many reviewers.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).