By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales (11/13)

papflesje said:
@ mrstickball: checking the VGC numbers, it has done week1 + week2 numbers already, so it has a headstart over the previous iteration already. Maybe even 3 weeks headstart compared to the previous one. But indeed, it'll depend on legs to beat the previous one in total.

According to Famitsu, Resistance 1 sold around 15,000 units on week 1, which was ok. The impressive part was the legs, which most likely was due to the fact that it was a launch title.

Resistance 1 was a major success by selling near 150,000 units over it's lifetime. I would of expected Resistance 2 to sell more since the first one did so well (ala what we've seen with Gears of War 2, and even Resistance 2 here in NA).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
papflesje said:
@ mrstickball: checking the VGC numbers, it has done week1 + week2 numbers already, so it has a headstart over the previous iteration already. Maybe even 3 weeks headstart compared to the previous one. But indeed, it'll depend on legs to beat the previous one in total.

According to Famitsu, Resistance 1 sold around 15,000 units on week 1, which was ok. The impressive part was the legs, which most likely was due to the fact that it was a launch title.

Resistance 1 was a major success by selling near 150,000 units over it's lifetime. I would of expected Resistance 2 to sell more since the first one did so well (ala what we've seen with Gears of War 2, and even Resistance 2 here in NA).

True, so it'll probably do week1+2 weeks this time around.

But it went up in sales around week 6 or so, was it released around the holidays too?  Or was it being bundled at that time?

arrrgh! moonspeak!

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

BTW Rockman=Megaman?

konnichiwa said:
BTW Rockman=Megaman?

Yep, Rockman is the original japanese name. It was renamed Mega Man by Capcom for the US market afterward.

Around the Network

Damn it, Wii games keep on bombing there. Did people really lose interest in the Wii there? Because outside MKWii and Wii Fit, no other game sells on the Wii. This year has been really forgettable for the Wii in Japan.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

resistance 2 its a shooter.

they don't sell as much in japan RE4 did but it sold less than previous games that weren't shooters

and it outsold first week of r1 in a day.

papflesje said:
mrstickball said:
papflesje said:

True, so it'll probably do week1+2 weeks this time around.

But it went up in sales around week 6 or so, was it released around the holidays too?  Or was it being bundled at that time?

Resistance 1 was released in Japan on launch day - so the Week 6-8 boost was due to the fact the Playstation 3 saw renewed sales in Japan for Christmas/Holiday.

The arugment I have against R2's first day being *gasp* bad is that the Playstation 3 is in a (respectively) far worse position to give a Western FPS game good legs, so it needed to have a breakout first week - which it did not have. I may be proven wrong, and R2 will have great legs at Christmas, but I don't see it happening - not for an FPS. Why did it need to have a bigger first week, IMO? The Playstation 3 isn't going to move the number of consoles this Christmas as it did it's first Christmas - and there's a far bigger & better selection of games available. Why buy an older, niche game like Resistance 2 when WKS will be out?

The comparison I can give would be the Halo series in Japan - the first one did remarkably well, given the country and horrendous install base of the Xbox in Japan. Despite the fact Halo 2 was much higher-hailed than #1, it did absolutely horrible in Japan, and is the worst selling of the series. According to Famitsu, #1 sold 74,000 units while #2 sold 46,000 units. H3 is the best selling of the series at 83,500 units.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@ trestres

why are you so down all the time?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

woopah said:
@ trestres

why are you so down all the time?

Down all the time?

Trestres was always "hahah, nintendo pwnd ms / sony" afaik.

Recently, he apparently changed his mind about how the wii is handling things and he has had some questions about the way games haven't exactly been pouring over into the "wow, insanely good game"-category over on the wii.

I'd say he's right on the money.