By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Movie execs worried about Blu-Ray

daxiang12 said:
Prof,
I agree that constantly getting better is in our nature. But if you take music as an example, would you agree CD's quality is better than most MP3s? Why CD sales keep diving while MP3 gets more popular?
To most people, 128Kb/s sound is just good enough.
Sorry for going off-topic (movie).
Just some thoughts.

vynil is better than any other source for music....but.

Around the Network

daxiang

a 4 cylinder car is good enough for some people
bugdet airplane seats are good enough

i don't know where you are going with this. As long as there is progression people will want to progress.
As for your cd analogy, cd sales are dropping because it is simply easier to buy mp3s or pirate them.

Bboid said:
daxiang12 said:
Prof,
I agree that constantly getting better is in our nature. But if you take music as an example, would you agree CD's quality is better than most MP3s? Why CD sales keep diving while MP3 gets more popular?
To most people, 128Kb/s sound is just good enough.
Sorry for going off-topic (movie).
Just some thoughts.

vynil is better than any other source for music....but.

says who?

stop tryin to be hardcorez

Of course kowenicki would be at the helm of this thread. >_>

This same argument is getting so old.

Why do we even bring this up anymore? The only people that want DD to be big are Sony haters. >_

goddog said:

well im sure they thought it would last longer, they did not expect movie studios do what is right for the end user, its not like the industry had a good track record of that. they probably thought they cpuld keep it going through 2010 and get a bit of money back hd-dvd was shockingly quick at the start of the year. 

to further this if MS had though hd-dvd was the future, they almost certainly would ahve lobbied for it to get an international standard so it could be used as a legitamet storage and data media for computer users. blueray had already done that, and pending its finalization, it will be aproved.

You have a lot more faith in the movie studios than I do.  I believe they did what was right for them... consolidate their HD efforts behind one product line, and give customers a clear choice to further the market.  I don't think they care if the consumer wastes money or is frustrated by having to make uncomfortable choices... unless it impedes their ability to make sales.

I would sale they saw a schism in the market that was hurting their business, and they took the steps to fix it.

Around the Network

Is anyone reading my posts?

click on the link in the OP to get to Softpedia. And then where they say "inside sources" click on that link. The link this article is referring to is talking about strong sales, not format death.

crumas2 said:
goddog said:

well im sure they thought it would last longer, they did not expect movie studios do what is right for the end user, its not like the industry had a good track record of that. they probably thought they cpuld keep it going through 2010 and get a bit of money back hd-dvd was shockingly quick at the start of the year. 

to further this if MS had though hd-dvd was the future, they almost certainly would ahve lobbied for it to get an international standard so it could be used as a legitamet storage and data media for computer users. blueray had already done that, and pending its finalization, it will be aproved.

You have a lot more faith in the movie studios than I do.  I believe they did what was right for them... consolidate their HD efforts behind one product line, and give customers a clear choice to further the market.  I don't think they care if the consumer wastes money or is frustrated by having to make uncomfortable choices... unless it impedes their ability to make sales.

I would sale they saw a schism in the market that was hurting their business, and they took the steps to fix it.

your right, it was more an accident that it helped the end user out, and was the same thing for them poorly worded on my part

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

DMeisterJ said:
Of course kowenicki would be at the helm of this thread. >_>

This same argument is getting so old.

Why do we even bring this up anymore? The only people that want DD to be big are Sony haters. >_<

1. I think DD is going to be big, not because I'm wild about it, but because it's becoming a practical option via cable and satellite TV.  Particularly the later where infrastructure to the consumer doesn't have to be rebuilt, just put up new feeds and satellites (yeah, it's expensive, but nothing like running FIOS).

2. No one here was arguing that DD was going to kill Blu-ray, just that Blu-ray would have to share the market with DD.  Unless I missed a post somewhere.

3. Joe consumer with an HDTV and satellite TV or cable doesn't give a flip about how this affects Sony.  He/she just wants a nice looking picture on his/her sparkling new TV.  Yeah, some people might bandwagon on this thread to jump in and say "DD rules and will kill Blu-ray", but most posters here are simply discussing the pros and cons of each tech.

goddog said:
crumas2 said:
goddog said:

your right, it was more an accident that it helped the end user out, and was the same thing for them poorly worded on my part

Now that I re-read your wording, you didn't actually say that the movie studios were trying to protect consumers, just that they ended up doing what was right for consumers.  You were actually right... my bad. 

i wouldnt be too worried. here in america and maybe the rest of the world, were making our way into new techonolgy with transition to dtv and hdtv prices dropping. more people are wanting HD making people buy blu ray players/ps3 to watch the only HD format left, blu ray.