By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo seeks to kill the used market for Wii Speak. One time activations!

Nintendo has taken an interesting approach to prevent used sales of the new Wii Speak Mic that will at least curb some used sales of the Wii Speak microphone hardware. Without the included Wii Download Ticket number you will not be able to access the Wii Speak Channel.

The Wii Speak microphone will be available separately or bundled with the Animal Crossing: City Folk title that is slated for release next week. No matter if you purchase the Animal Crossing: City Folk with the Wii Speak microphone or the Will Speak microphone that is being sold separately each will include a 16-charcter code that is printed on a pamphlet that is included. Don’t lose it, because if you do, Nintendo will not replace it and you will not be able to gain access to the Wii Speak channel.

While the Wii Speak channel will first require that you load the Animal Crossing: City Folk title, Nintendo intends to release an update that will allow voice chat without the need to load a title first. It is thought that Nintendo as well as other third party developers will expand the use of the microphone into other titles as time goes on.

The strategy to curb the sales of used games and hardware has recently become even more of a hot button issue with console manufactures and software developers. We expect to see attempts to put a dent in the sale of used titles and hardware on which the manufacturers and developers get no compensation. Recently Electronic Arts used a similar tactic with the release of NBA 09 Live, which included a code for the Dynamic DNA feature that is tied to the account that it was activated using. Without the code, users who wanted to take advantage of the Dynamic DNA feature are forced to pay a $19.99 charge.

Unlike Electronic Arts, Nintendo will offer no such option. The Wii Speak Channel access code at least for the time being will not be available for purchase on the Wii Shopping Channel or by buying it direct from Nintendo. The only option for users is to buy another new microphone with another code.

Our thought is that this is a novel approach to deal with the problem of used hardware and game sales, but many will be put off by this policy. Still, it is an understandable development with the continued growth in the sale of used hardware and games. At least for the game digital distribution will continue to gain popularity, but as for hardware this may be something that could have a negative reaction that is so strong that Nintendo will have to rethink this approach as time goes on.

Source: Fudzilla 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats an interesting development. Discuss I guess... It does make sense from their perspective and what they may see as their best interests. What do you think of it?

Tease.

Around the Network

Or! I'll just download it as a wad and install it through the Homebrew channel. Owned! :p

clerk said:
Or! I'll just download it as a wad and install it through the Homebrew channel. Owned! :p

Because... it will be really useful... without the mic?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

This is also an effective way to prevent the use of unlicenced products, if the hardware has the same code. But yeah, kind of shit.

Anyway, if the hardware has the same ID code, could it be possible to dig it up?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

nintendo --> profits.

Around the Network
GooseGaws said:
clerk said:

Weeee, this whole thread is about buying a used mic, lil buddy.

clerk said:
GooseGaws said:
clerk said:

Weeee, this whole thread is about buying a used mic, lil buddy.

So, your plan is to buy a used mic and "pirate" the Wii Speak channel, is that it?  Don't you think there will be some sort of verification process when signing on to the service?

Hates Nomura.

That kind of sucks. I buy more second hand as well as money is getting tight. Costs are rising around here and we're getting zero extra from our government. Plus I find it useless to pay full price for a game while a very perfect condition second hand game will do the very same job... play.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:
That kind of sucks. I buy more second hand as well as money is getting tight. Costs are rising around here and we're getting zero extra from our government. Plus I find it useless to pay full price for a game while a very perfect condition second hand game will do the very same job... play.

Holy crap!  You still post on here?  I haven't seen your name around for ages!

Hates Nomura.

Yeah she is back