By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony pull off a PS3 price cut?

No. Not any time b4 March 09. maybe a 50, maybe a 100

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Dropping to $349 wont get me to buy a PS3. $299 around the release of GT5 or GoW3 will definitly make me interested.

Dgc1808 said:
No. Not any time b4 March 09. maybe a 50, maybe a 100

im expecting a 299 gt5 bundle next xmas

I think things are rapidly approaching a tipping point for Sony.

They either price cut and pray it works or hold firm and settle for last place.

Its a tricky one and it could go either way.

Given the need for any company to survive I think one minor price cut of 50 USD in March and another 50 USD in September.

Garnett said:
Thechalkblock said:
Garnett said:
Did you guys forget Sony said there not in the same market with 360/Wii anymore?

They said all they want to do is get a profit,stop worrying about Sony,there doing fine.

I suppose your right. The PS3 has the ability to last longer than the Wii and 360 due to it being Blu-ray. Even when seventh generation consoles come out, the PS3 will probably still be running fairly strong. All in all, Sony will make sure that the PS3 results in profit in the end.

lol,nice try,but Sony said there not competing with MS or Ninty,there focused on making a profit.

Which is what id do as well.

You know how the PS2 is still around? I meant the PS3 would do something like that. Do you not think that is possible?

Around the Network

They are no reason to cut price of ps3, sony sold it at 1/2 price

Final Fantasy huge... watch my collection

Oh... Final Fantasy huge only on SONY system !

I will sell my X360 and buy one when it gets like $349-299.

later Q1 2009- early Q2 2009 for $50 pricecut. then 45nm ps3 comes along in 2009 = $300? :o

I dont think they'll move the price until Q3 next year. Their finances don't look as healthy as they could be.

Tease.

Yeah, I'm thinking about Q3 2009 too.

People laugh at the 10-year plan, but Sony have always intended the PS3 to be around for a long time. Everyone knows Sony lost $3b on the console in the beginning, and they know that they sold hardly any consoles early on. But think about it, if PS3 had come out selling like hot cakes, the massive loss per console would truly have bankrupted the company. It follows that they must have known they would start slowly, and would lose a lot of money that would take time to recover. Their security blanket would have been the belief that if anyone started a new gen in, say, 2012, the PS3 was big enough to compete credibly. Because it will have to.

Furthermore, if an Xbox Mark 3 were to be released in 2012 and fail to outshine the PS3 convincingly, suddenly the roles from this gen would be totally reversed as Sony would then have the install base advantage, cheaper price advantage, and console whose slight inferiority was nullified by everything being multi-plat. (On the other hand, a Wii HD in 2012 could give Sony conniptions).

My point is, the PS3 has a long road to hoe, and its price won't be brought down prematurely. Its sales would be considered completely satisfactory anyway, and despite the fanboy prism, that doesn't change just because the 360 cuts price and passes it. IMHO, since the first price cut things have actually been going pretty much to plan. I still believe the "Year of the PS3" will come, but anyone who expects it before 2011 is kidding themselves.

Oh, and it'll never catch the Wii. Might get close, though, in the distant future.

Games machines owned: C64*, NES, SNES*, PS1, PS2*, PS3* (*still own).

GREAT MOMENTS IN HUMAN HISTORY

12/9/2008 18:46 Australian CST - !!!I got my first trophy!!! Huzzah!!!