By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA announces EA FIT: ACTIVE

EA's fitness program has been officially announced. It's called "EA Sports Active."

This actually looks pretty good as a fitness tool..... http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/13/ea-announces-western-answer-to-wii-fit/ I'd post the actual article except I'm on my Blackberry. Could someone post it?

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Looks... fun.. but..
EA Sports: ACTIVE??

Lets see:

EA Sports: Men
EA Sports: Women
EA Sports: Kids
EA Sports: 2009
EA Sports: Dogs
EA Sports: Total Training
EA Sports: Milky Milky

I see where they are going... >_>

-edited- OP had the wrong name

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

lol...."EA Fit"

come on now....they could be a BIT more creative then that

but I guess "EA fit" sounds like "wii fit" if you say it fast enough, lol, maybe they are relying on that

NiKKoM said:
Looks... fun.. but..
EA Fit: ACTIVE??

Lets see:
EA Fit: Sports
EA Fit: Men
EA Fit: Women
EA Fit: Kids
EA Fit: 2009
EA Fit: Dogs
EA Fit: Total Training
EA Fit: Milky Milky

I see where they are going... >_>

lol...wtf?

niksta2 said:
lol...."EA Fit"

come on now....they could be a BIT more creative then that

but I guess "EA fit" sounds like "wii fit" if you say it fast enough, lol, maybe they are relying on that

I was fooled by that too... it's actually EA Sports Active.. OP made a mistake

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I think EA want some of the $1 billion is sales that Nintendo got from WiiFit.

Exercise games are the new music games.

Milky Milky, i guess its like exercise but through the milking of cows

Fuck that looks innovative with the strap and shit. WOW

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

EA Announces Company’s Answer To ‘Wii Fit’

Making the rounds this morning is the announcement of “EA Sports Active,” a new fitness game/piece-of-software from EA shipping for the Wii next spring. The game trades in “Wii Fit“’s requirement of the balance board peripheral for mandatory use of a bundled “leg strap,” a strap that wraps around one’s upper thigh with a Wii nunchuck in its pouch, for tracking lower body movement.

EA is pushing that this game (product?) will give gamers a 30-day fitness goal, chopped into customized 20-minute workouts, differentiating it from “Wii Fit,” which forces the player to make their own workout routine. EA is also promoting that the game has more of a heart-rate-pumping western approach to exercise, a differentiation from the yoga, push-ups and light jogging offerings of “Wii Fit.”

But the hot-selling “Wii Fit” was really charming. Does “EA Sports Active” need to be charming? Does it need a cute balance board and some Mii support rather than the endorsement of fitness guru Bob Greene? We shall see.

More screenshots of the new peripheral in action and a fact-sheet info-dump below.

And from the official EA fact sheet…

Key Features
Active Fitness Made Fun & Easy— 20 minute circuits feature variety and familiar activities that target upper body, lower body as well as cardio. Start off with a run, followed by bicep curls and get your heart beating with some cardio boxing. Get fit and have fun in minutes a day!
Benefit of a Trainer in a Box—Your trainer will be the focal point of the experience guiding you towards your own version of personal achievement. Feedback will be given throughout your workout, keeping you on track to reach your fitness goals.
30 Day Challenge—The game will track your progress as you embark on a 30 Day Challenge and tailor 20 minute workouts to your level of fitness. Circuits will change as you progress each day, and EA SPORTS Active will track calories, intensity and progress throughout your journey.
New Way to Play— Slip the Nunchuk into the specially designed leg strap and hold the Wii Remote in your hand to track your movements from both your upper and lower body. A resistance band is also included to increase the intensity of exercises such as bicep curls and shoulder presses.
Get Fit with Friends and Family—Two players can work out together while having their individual calories and workout scores tracked. Using split screens, you both can complete your own customized workout and do them together.
Workout Your Way— Circuits can be customized to your interest and fitness level. Choose your duration, intensity level & set your own goals for calories burned and workout score.
Wii Balance Board Compatibility—Get more out of your EA SPORTS Active workout using a Wii Balance Board with added functionality and physical benefits for many of exercises.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Well Wii Fit is a huge property so it was only a matter of time before the 3rd parties made their "versions" of it. Saw the same thing after Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Wii Sports haha .

Damn, I was going to post this.

I think EA is on the right track with this one. If they do it right, this coupled with Wii Fit (forget Jullian Micheals Ultimate Fitness crap) will really ligitimize Wii Fitness routines for a lot of people and boost Wii sales even higher.

Someone give me $50 million there's a huge 30+ female market about to be borne on Wii and I want to make a development studio dedicated to games/programs for them.