By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS predicts 25 million sold (through to customer) by end of November.

did you even look at the link. We had this argument for a long time and this site was flooded with people posting this saying vgchartz undertracked ps3 because it used the word install base. It says 6 million install base on march 31,2007 when in reality vgchartz says 2.7 million.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Looking at the context, the numbers appear to be referring to shipments, which makes sense given that they stood at 22.5m on September 30, and have shipped (which they call sales since it involves stores buying consoles, and stores are their customers) over 4m in the three months ending December in 2007 and 2006.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

doesnt he mean by end of december? only the wii can sell another 3 million in 3 weeks.

lol we they are wrong.

they will be march 2009 though

freebird4 said:
KatinJin said:
BKK2 said:
Going by their shipments for September then they can only really mean shipped, which isn't surprising as it's not uncommon for manufacturers to use "installed base" to refer to shipments. Anyway, 2.5m expected to be shipped during first two months of Q4, I wonder how many they can ship in December.

And consumers have responded; according to Mount, console sales increased 42 percent month over month, 62 percent in Europe and a hefty 500 percent in Japan. "Later today, NPD is going to release October sales... and we expect these numbers will show that we continue to outsell [PS3] by a ratio of two to one."

Interesting Europe numbers (+62% month over month), although 360 hasn't been outselling PS3 in US two to one (last month it outsold PS3 by three to two), maybe they meant LTD, where 360 has sold around twice as much as PS3.

No she means NPD today as 2 to 1 margin. So for the month of October it should show that. With that said this was also said earlier this week by Microsoft Division head Robbie Bach as well.

Wasn't he talking about Europe? Not USA.

Nope, he was doing an interview about European numbers, but he specifically brought US numbers as well. Here it is;

Even in the United States at the moment we sell twice as many consoles such as Sony.

So I would say almost without question now NPD will be reflecting a 2 to 1 margin later today. He stated that earlier this week and they have had the numbers for about that time.  Even states at the moment.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
First of all 2 to 1 figure is BS because they get the numbers just two hours before us.

No they do not. The numbers have been out for quite some time for paid customers. It's the press that gets the numbers here shortly.

The placement of the expected NPD figures and Euro figures after the projection of 25m imply they are using those figures to estimate their shipment figures for the end of November guys.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

The placement of the expected NPD figures and Euro figures after the projection of 25m imply they are using those figures to estimate their shipment figures for the end of November guys.

people keep ignoring my post too that shows sony using install base to mean shipped.  It doesn't mean for sure that microsoft does but people should consider.  Either people aren't reading the thread or they are letting their bias get in the way.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

while i have no doubt the 2nd month after the price cut will have the 360 still selling well i can't see it selling "that" well!

And if they say the 360 is selling at 2 to 1 over the PS3 that doesnt have to mean it is a high number. NPD this month will be very interesting. If we see a 200k+ gap then i guess VGC will have to adjust numbers?

KatinJin said:
freebird4 said:
KatinJin said:
BKK2 said:
Going by their shipments for September then they can only really mean shipped, which isn't surprising as it's not uncommon for manufacturers to use "installed base" to refer to shipments. Anyway, 2.5m expected to be shipped during first two months of Q4, I wonder how many they can ship in December.

And consumers have responded; according to Mount, console sales increased 42 percent month over month, 62 percent in Europe and a hefty 500 percent in Japan. "Later today, NPD is going to release October sales... and we expect these numbers will show that we continue to outsell [PS3] by a ratio of two to one."

Interesting Europe numbers (+62% month over month), although 360 hasn't been outselling PS3 in US two to one (last month it outsold PS3 by three to two), maybe they meant LTD, where 360 has sold around twice as much as PS3.

No she means NPD today as 2 to 1 margin. So for the month of October it should show that. With that said this was also said earlier this week by Microsoft Division head Robbie Bach as well.

Wasn't he talking about Europe? Not USA.

Nope, he was doing an interview about European numbers, but he specifically brought US numbers as well. Here it is;

Even in the United States at the moment we sell twice as many consoles such as Sony.

So I would say almost without question now NPD will be reflecting a 2 to 1 margin later today. He stated that earlier this week and they have had the numbers for about that time.  Even states at the moment.

I think we're talking about two different things, Mount was quoted as saying:

"Later today, NPD is going to release October sales... and we expect these numbers will show that we continue to outsell [PS3] by a ratio of two to one."

I was just pointing out that they haven't been outselling PS3 by a ratio of two to one, so there isn't a two to one ratio for them to continue outselling PS3 by. I understand that they say they expect NPD to show they outsold PS3 two to one in October, but if they consider last month to be 2:1 when it was actually 3:2 then I wouldn't be surprised to see some liberal rounding up in their claim for this month too.

The European numbers are different, they give an exact 62% increase in sales, despite Microsoft claiming a few days ago that sales had doubled in Europe.

Edit: sorry, I mistakenly thought you were replying to my post, but I now realise you were replying to freebird.