By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Holiday Sales

coasterlove said:
In America, it's usually considered to start the Friday after Thanksgiving. It was nicknamed "Black Friday" and was always been the biggest single day in sales for stores. Lately though, that hasn't been the case. It's still a huge day and what seems to get it started but now it's often one of the last weekend days before christmas that is the Biggest.

Also mind the fact that since Black Friday has dwindled down and late christmas shopping has gone up a bit. Online late shopping became the most notable form of shopping last year the week before christmas.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
mrstickball said:
With all consoles combining for sales of 1,000,000 units last week (Wii, PS3, PS2, X360) the answer is "now". 1m this early into November is amazing.

But as others have said, Black Friday in the US is the start of the buying frenzy (although we've already seen NA and Others take significant positive strides as of late).

With the X360 already selling 250,000 units this week, it bodes very well for the console. I would venture to say we'll see the Wii hit 1,000,000 units/wk for at least 1 week before the uber-Christmas week, and up to 3 weeks @ 1m a week...Will be interesting to see if the Wii can break it's record last year and move 2 million consoles in a week. Would be insane if it happened.

Microsoft will have another banner year thanks to the price drop + strong library...I think it could flirt with the 1,000,000 mark on the week before Christmas.

Sony? I'm not too positive about Sony. It's been a year since the price drop, and a $400 present isn't going to look the nicest next to a $200 X360 and a $250 Wii. I think it'll sell on the same level it did last year.

thats what people said last year regarding ps3, look how it turned out, last fall ps3 ended up doing tremendously well, if im mistaken it out pipped 360 worldwide or similar level to 360 sales.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year, the Playstation 3 just had a price drop before Christmas (in October) that bolstered sales and did very well.

The Xbox 360 is $80 cheaper at the base price, and $50 cheaper than the higher end models vs. last Christmas. The Playstation 3 is $0 cheaper than last years' holiday season.

So why should the Playstation 3 sell MORE when it's the same price?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

sega4life- I never said the people in it weren't being affected. But the industry is still seeing record highs almost everywhere outside of Japan.

The developers within it though are having issues from things that were there own fault. Taking on too many heavily priced projects at once, buying out too many people or having too many studios in the first place, ect. A lot of the reasons they are having to shut down studios or lay off people is something that almost was guaranteed to happen anyways. Remember an industry that's growing usually doesn't have this happen unless someone really fucked up. And those big corps fucked up. There own fault too... crisis just helped move the process along.