By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I am not a hater, but Wii is not moving software

DirtyP2002 said:

so the wii sold 38 million and the Xbox360 35 million 3rd party games. Well I never doubted that the wii would sell more than Xbox360, but the Wii is selling not that much in relation to the Userbase. So the wii sold 3 million copies more than the Xbox360 with 13.5 million more users. Do you think that is impressive?

second graph: don't know if NPD includes Wii Sports or Wii Play. If not, they have a worse ratio than X360, if so, take the 5.3 (or whatever) - 1 for Wii Sports or Wii Play. Or -1.5 for both (because almost every second wii has an extra controller - and wii play. 36 million wiis sold, 16.2m wii play.) Well that would bring the wii to the 3rd place.

anyway it all depends if you count bundled software, that you HAVE to buy, if you want the console (at least in Europe). For me it is stupid to say the wii moved software because of this and a game you get for extra 10$ for a new remote. That is like including Arcade sales to the Xbox360 software sales. Acutally latest arcade-games might be more expensive. ^^

You know, if you don't know something, you really shouldn't try making sweeping generalizations about it, make analysis on it, and come to conclusions based on faulty data when it would be easy to find the real answers yourself.

NPD data is for the US, not the entire world.  NPD counts Wii Play but not Wii Sports or any other software bundled with consoles.  So that invalidates the entirety of your post right there.

Not only that, but software makers really don't care about attach rate as much as they do raw software totals.  Then don't get paid on attach rate, they get paid on how much the game actually sells.

Around the Network

Pathetic thread. Nonsense, old and false. Please just ignore it.

Wooooww, DirtyP2002 has just got his ass RIPPED by the mods. Bravo, guys. I do so enjoy reading these things. =D

The BuShA owns all!

Ah, so DirtyP has tripped on his own argument by now, especially the userbase difference between the Wii and 360 isn't that large in NA, compared to the rest of the world.

Considering the gap is just 2.78mill, it's not as disproportionate as you claim.

In rugby, it's a penalizable offence to not let go of the ball when you are being heavily tackled, would DirtyP finally let go?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

you are not a hater, and you are wrong.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network
Vertigo-X said:
Wooooww, DirtyP2002 has just got his ass RIPPED by the mods. Bravo, guys. I do so enjoy reading these things. =D

yeah.. I haven't seen this many mods in one thread..

it's like:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Vertigo-X said:

yeah.. I haven't seen this many mods in one thread..

it's like:

I see a mod in your sig?

Party Monster said:

I see a mod in your sig?

Yes.. I'm a member of theSource (the mod in the sig) fanclub..

Welcome to the site!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

DirtyP2002 said:
BengaBenga said:

You're wrong (unless you think the PS3 doesn't sell software either).

This is from Nintendo's presentation and uses full NPD data. The link provides a lot of usefull information. As you can see the attach rate is remarkably good for a console that sells this fast. So actually the Wii sells loads of software.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3841/the_mushroom_growth_plan_inside_.php?page=6

so the wii sold 38 million and the Xbox360 35 million 3rd party games. Well I never doubted that the wii would sell more than Xbox360, but the Wii is selling not that much in relation to the Userbase. So the wii sold 3 million copies more than the Xbox360 with 13.5 million more users. Do you think that is impressive?

second graph: don't know if NPD includes Wii Sports or Wii Play. If not, they have a worse ratio than X360, if so, take the 5.3 (or whatever) - 1 for Wii Sports or Wii Play. Or -1.5 for both (because almost every second wii has an extra controller - and wii play. 36 million wiis sold, 16.2m wii play.) Well that would bring the wii to the 3rd place.

anyway it all depends if you count bundled software, that you HAVE to buy, if you want the console (at least in Europe). For me it is stupid to say the wii moved software because of this and a game you get for extra 10$ for a new remote. That is like including Arcade sales to the Xbox360 software sales. Acutally latest arcade-games might be more expensive. ^^

the second graph is the same data as the first graph, both are NPD data US only and don't include wii sports.  The difference is that the second one is a tie ratio and actually wii is selling more software just not more software per userbase.  The userbase difference in the US is not that big though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Well yea... considering the Wii just this year passed Xbox360 install base in the US which is Xbox360's strongest region after it was released one year ahead of the Wii... yea everything about the Wii is pretty much spelling domination.

Relatively the Wii sells a lot of software even compared to the Xbox 360 in EU, Japan may be draging down the ratio globally.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D