By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

Ok so I see a lot of people on the forums don't understand why XBOX Live has a fee, Hopefully here I can explain it a little to you and then you can re assess your thoughts about paying or not.

Xbox Live and what your paying for - Basically MS provide every developer no matter how big or small a chance to take there game on line with minimal fuss as it provides them with the tools and service to get there game LIVE.

Now what this means is that even the smaller developers who make titles for the XBLA for example can easily offer players multiplayer modes because they don't have to foot the bill. the reason for this is because with Live Microsoft built themselves a system - This system takes care of things like Achievements, Chat Functions, Messaging Functions, Cross game invites and lastly the online functions. For developers they simply have to plug in there features with the Microsoft system and there game instantly supports all of features Live has to offer.

On PSN its the opposite - If a game wants to have multiplayer or chat the developer has to foot the bill and build there own system An example is COD4 - For COD4 Infinity ward has servers maintained and run solely for the purpose of the PS3 version of COD4. Whilst on 360 MS does it for them, This is why you see things like different friends lists for different games and different TOS for each title as its all not linked together.

This is the reason you see almost every release on XBLA offer multiplayer even from the smaller developers and the games on PSN tend not too unless there from a big developer or receive some kind of patch down the line.

Why do you think MS can offer private chat functionality across different games because every game is running off there service. This system is why Microsoft can implement new features easily on have every game instantly support them, even older titles as every game is all linked into the same system. For example the upcoming 8 player party system can be used with every game without any additional or individual tweaks as its all integrated and linked.

Now you can form your own views if you think this is worth a subscription fee but no matter what your opinion is this is why you pay for Xbox Live.

Thanks for Reading.

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Around the Network

If he can't take the time proofread his little statement I can't take the time to finish reading it.

Still should be free, there is no excuse except money grabbing.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

How much is Live? I've been contemplating getting a 360 (I'm a college student and I'd have to pay it all myself, that's why I've been holding it off) so I'm just wondering how much more this would cost me a year.

Anyways I've played Live plenty of times on my friend's 360, and I love it from what I've seen. I'd be willing to shell out a bit of cash for that kind of service.

Oh and since I'm on the 360 forum I might as well add.... Braid ftw!!!!

Providing a online service does actually involve a cost. Cable companies do not just hand out bandwidth freely. Servers do not grow on trees. Administrators do not pass through membranes from other universes. You cannot pray and receive registrations from god. Landlords totally let you stay without paying rent.

Other manufacturers provide free online play services, but that does not mean they are free to run. The manufacturer is loss leading. They are losing money, because they are actually covering the cost at the cash register. This is part of why you pay more for a PS3 or a Wii. You are being charged up front for the service whether you use it or not.

Profit making yes, but money grabbing no. Yes it probably does cost around three dollars a month for Microsoft to administrate its online service. The rest is probably profit, but a company does deserve to make a profit for its wares. That is why they make things to begin with. Investors do expect dividends this is after all not charity.

For those that asked you can find a thirteen month card for fifty dollars which is basically less then four dollars a month. Which is actually pretty thrifty compared to other online services, and is actually more reliable then developer provided support. Which is often discontinued in under a year.

Around the Network

Heres my take on Xbox Live over PSN.

I personally prefer it, because while I have no problem playing online games over Live, i cant get through a damn single match in any multiplayer games on PSN without losing connection to host. It gets so frustrating i stopped even trying to play over PSN and had to rebuy some games for Xbox live to play multi there.

To me, the 50 bucks is worth it.

It really should be free now.

No matter what the blinded-PS3-fanboys-fools think, quality of service has a cost.

And I would rather spend some euros for a system that works, that has some SLA, is improving and futur proof.

The PSN is just a f*cking gimmick compared to XBL.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

if u play a lot of games online with friends it makes sense. the cross game things and standard features do make an improvement. however many more ps3 games have servers so that improves the quality. also if u dont go online too often (me) then its not worth much and free is a great choice.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

I would just like to take a moment to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my question about Live subscription costs. I love you all! Goodnight!

*falls asleep (it's 1am)*