By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Elimination Game - Franchises

We've done developing studios and individual developers before (excluding Miyamoto, since he's an obvious surefire win). I'm not interested in compiling either of those, but y'all are welcome to compose a list for 'em.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
I arrived at those results by starting with Final-Fan's post at 21:36 and working forward from there.

The problem comes when supermario128 votes too early. From that point on Mario actually has one less vote than displayed. That means when mibuokami's vote takes Mario to only 1 point, it is actually eliminated. Every vote after that no longer counts.

The problem with that method is that people were voting without knowing the actual scores.

Another problem comes when Final-Fan posts at 22:10. For some reason, he says that mibuokmi's vote is not valid. It looks ok to me, but maybe it was edited at some point.

Well, I could try to reconstruct exactly what happened, but I don't have to.  It's all too clear what happened:   

I updated the scores with people's votes since they got off kilter (again), but made a mistake.  I saw that mibuokami's vote was impossible and neutralized it.  Then I found an error in my tallies, corrected it, and failed to realize that mibuokami's vote was actually valid after all.  (Normally I mark all notable edits in my posts, but this thread was just moving too fast to spend the effort on nuances like that.)

Sorry everyone.  And damn you all for picking Zelda at the end.

[edit:  P.S.  Alternatively, it's possible that there was a truly stange brain malfunction when correcting for supermario128 that made me think the vote was impossible.] 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

chasmatic12 said:
I say "Girls of Gaming."

Female characters as well as industry babes... (all 2 of them)

I think this would be a good one. I would definately support Samus if we did this.

LNRT said:
chasmatic12 said:
I say "Girls of Gaming."

I think this would be a good one. I would definately support Samus if we did this.

I really want to see how "Sackgirl" would rank up against Cortana...

RolStoppable said:
LNRT said:
chasmatic12 said:
I say "Girls of Gaming."

IIRC Samus won the elimination game of best videogame character, so making it female only would probably be a very boring thread.

Well, did anyone really doubt that Zelda would win this competition?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

IIRC Samus won the elimination game of best videogame character, so making it female only would probably be a very boring thread.

How many of these threads have there been? This is the only one I have participated in.

Final-Fan said:
theRepublic said:
I arrived at those results by starting with Final-Fan's post at 21:36 and working forward from there.

The problem comes when supermario128 votes too early. From that point on Mario actually has one less vote than displayed. That means when mibuokami's vote takes Mario to only 1 point, it is actually eliminated. Every vote after that no longer counts.

The problem with that method is that people were voting without knowing the actual scores.

Another problem comes when Final-Fan posts at 22:10. For some reason, he says that mibuokmi's vote is not valid. It looks ok to me, but maybe it was edited at some point.

Well, I could try to reconstruct exactly what happened, but I don't have to.  It's all too clear what happened:   

I updated the scores with people's votes since they got off kilter (again), but made a mistake.  I saw that mibuokami's vote was impossible and neutralized it.  Then I found an error in my tallies, corrected it, and failed to realize that mibuokami's vote was actually valid after all.  (Normally I mark all notable edits in my posts, but this thread was just moving too fast to spend the effort on nuances like that.)

Sorry everyone.  And damn you all for picking Zelda at the end.

When I came up with my results, I went way back, all the way to before there was any confusion. I believe I started when you eliminated Pikmin, and started working from there with each vote.

Took a while to weed through everything, but yeah. I believe that, since I started from before the mess even began, we didn't have to deal with any errors that were missed.

It also helped that I was figuring it all out after everything was done. =p

Anyhow, I'm compiling a "Nintendo games" elimination game. This is a list of franchises that have only appeared on Nintendo systems, but may not necessarily belong to Nintendo. This sucker's going to be thorough, since popularity and sales will be much less of an influence here, so nobody else try starting your own because it won't be as good!

:p

You guys can make your own elimination games on any other topic, though. =)

LNRT said:
RolStoppable said:

How many of these threads have there been? This is the only one I have participated in.

There've been a TON. They were all a fad last year, went out of style because all the ideas were exhausted, and the concept mostly forgotten.

Then, Rol (I think it was Rol?) mentioned elimination games in the VGChartz Awards thread, and I decided to revive it. =)

SW-5120-1900-6153

I'm also going to do a third-generation games/franchises game. =)

I won't be able to make either of these threads until tomorrow, though. I need to go to bed.

SW-5120-1900-6153

RolStoppable said:
LNRT said:
RolStoppable said:

About ten. I made the Mario games elimination game, that was fun. Btw, a Mario game won.

Not the one that should have though.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I eliminated Pikmin?  [edit:  I did not, unless my math was wrong and I killed an innocent franchise.  Is that what you're saying, thetonestarr?]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!