By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The reason why PS2 was loved by game companies

darthdevidem01 said:
@pristine

thats where my MS hate began

cus it was rumores MS made sure GC got NO 3rd Party games by paying of devs

so GC dint get SW Battlefront, Episode 3.....n loads of ye know just cool third party games!

Looks like M$ is always stuck in a bitter battle for 2nd place lol

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
afi77 said:
The Gamecube wasn't as bad as you make it sound. It had pretty good versions of all of Nintendo's staples plus some of Capcom's best games in years. It was really hurting for JRPGs though, which is what made me get a PS2 as a side console.

For those who weren't fans of nintendo's staples, there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING  on GC. The only thng that stood out was RE4 and that eventually made it's way to the mighty ps2.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

It's funny that we all had Gamecubes, and then went with the PS3 this gen.

It's like the same story all over again, we've got the more powerful hardware (came out a year after the PS2) but still we're getting shafted with 2nd class ports... *sign*

Nintendo's first and 2nd Party's (Rare), and Capcom were the only ones to really push the system. Just like Sony and it's 2nd party's are able to push the PS3.

@pristine

exactly

I came from a PS1 household who got an N64 late in the gen

the differencw was horrible

no Gran Turismo, FF n so on....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I went from a PS1 as my very first true console, got a N64 late in the gen, to a PS2 [3 months after it was released], broke, got another PS2, and then got a PS3 a year after release.

^_^

Around the Network

@darth

Did you lose the PS1 to the dreaded DRE (disk read error) - that's how my first one went... The N64 should go down as the worst console that never failed... I think I had a total of 5 games for it.

The reason companies liked PS2 last generation was because it was the dominant console (in sales and appeal to most people). Every genre had good/best sellers. Xbox was the best console, but only hardcore gamers bought it. Gamecube was mostly first party software. PS2 is the most mainstream console and with sales of over 4-5 times more than the competition, there was no reason to not like ps2 even if it was a b***h to develop for. This generation, PS3 is the most powerful, but it's limited in appeal to mass market (mainly to price and blu-ray being unneeded for majority).

PS1 and the PS2 are the best consoles ever. especially considering with the astonishing amount of games. my wallet cried every year. though there were some setbacks when Capcom announced that RE4 would be a cube exclusive...but we ended up getting it anyway. too bad this gen is nothing like the last two.

@afi77

I was little then so I don't remember

but my dad replaced it with a PSone so maybe that was the reason originally

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I can't believe how many current PS3 users were Gamecube only users last gen. I am the exact opposite: PS2 only user last gen and Wii/360 this generation. PS2 was a great console for RPG but there's so much crap, I can barely believe it (well, there's a lot of crap on Wii as well).

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...