By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - what will Gear of war 2's second week be like?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
a game like gears of war will always sell the most on its 1st week, after that it wont sell much. i dont know why people are expecting this to reach halo 3 like numbers. it should make it to 5 million easily but not 8 million. it just isnt going to sell another 6 million.

Halo numbers span up to 8 Million. Gears 2 is expected to sell 5-6 Million units. Gears 2 will most likely reach 6 million somewhere near february/march. It might reach 7 M by may so who knows?

yep, it should max out at about 5 million, which is excellent but these days people call that a flop. there aint many games out there that sell 5 million on one platform.

I wont max out at 5 million. A million more than that an i'll max out.

i think it will max out at 5 million, like the first one.

Um, the Xbox 360 has a much larger installed base than the first game and the game has recieved more hype. Why should I expect 5 million?

maybe but sometimes user base doesnt make any difference at all, take MGS for instance. mgs2 and 3 had completly different sales even though the ps2 userbase was in the 100 millions when mgs3 launched.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
a game like gears of war will always sell the most on its 1st week, after that it wont sell much. i dont know why people are expecting this to reach halo 3 like numbers. it should make it to 5 million easily but not 8 million. it just isnt going to sell another 6 million.

Halo numbers span up to 8 Million. Gears 2 is expected to sell 5-6 Million units. Gears 2 will most likely reach 6 million somewhere near february/march. It might reach 7 M by may so who knows?

yep, it should max out at about 5 million, which is excellent but these days people call that a flop. there aint many games out there that sell 5 million on one platform.

I wont max out at 5 million. A million more than that an i'll max out.

i think it will max out at 5 million, like the first one.

Hmm....I think the game has a solid chance of selling more than the first one.

You think it won't?

I hope you have a greater reasoning than "only people who bought the first one will buy Gears 2."

That is ignorant logic. It fails to factor in anything, like hype, increased userbase, game rentals, and resells, pacing, and...well, it's just an ignorant assumption.

Saying that only people who bought the predecessor of any game, would buy said game...is ignorant.

It becomes abundantly clear, when you state it like that.

ok, you dont have to be an asshole about it and dont talk like you know everyhting. cause the way you talk is like whatever you say, goes. did you not see the part where i said "i think". you could think what you want but it doesnt make a damn difference to me! ok!

ioi said:
Basically the game sold something like this:

Day one 2 million (we were 100k high on our initial projections)
Day 2 150k
Day 3 120k

And so on through the week - it has been doing about 90-100k per day this week so should be on for some strong week 2 sales (600-800k depends on how it bounces for the weekend).

"More than 2 million" doesn't mean 2 million - it means anything from 2 to about 2.3 i guess where it then starts to become "almost 2.5 million" - press stuff like this tends to work in half million steps...

Zenfoldor says:

Woot. Game sells 600k week 2, for the epic win.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

ioi said:

Day 2 150k
Day 3 120k

And so on through the week - it has been doing about 90-100k per day this week so should be on for some strong week 2 sales (600-800k depends on how it bounces for the weekend).

"More than 2 million" doesn't mean 2 million - it means anything from 2 to about 2.3 i guess where it then starts to become "almost 2.5 million" - press stuff like this tends to work in half million steps...

Zenfoldor says:

I noticed, ioi>you

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

ioi said:

Day 2 150k
Day 3 120k

Zenfoldor says:

I noticed, ioi>you

You do realize that I predicted low on purpose, so I can claim these above average numbers as an epic win?

I said as much, in a later post. :P

ioi > me at with numbers and on this site, certainly.

However, irl kirby, I eat babies.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
kirby007 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

ioi said:

Day 2 150k
Day 3 120k

Zenfoldor says:

I noticed, ioi>you

You do realize that I predicted low on purpose, so I can claim these above average numbers as an epic win?

I said as much, in a later post. :P

ioi > me at with numbers and on this site, certainly.

However, irl kirby, I eat babies.

nice spin, you sound like a sony boy.

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Also, Kirby, if you're a 360 fan, learn something from the mistakes of your PS3 brethren.

Underpredict your sales. Say to the forums, "Meh, I think this will do (X - 100k), max."

Then, when it sells as expected via X, you can easily claim, "Sold better than expected."

Contrarily, PS3 fans choose to say, "Woo, I think this will sell (X + 200m), easy."

Then, when it sells as expected via X, they easily get owned, and say, "It's because PS3 owners don't buy shooters, just srpgs."

NO NO, NO NO NO.

kirby007 said:

lol, yes. I sound like a Sony fanboy. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was going undercover as a Sony fanboy.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
kirby007 said:

lol, yes. I sound like a Sony fanboy. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was going undercover as a Sony fanboy.

I was talking about the way you spinned your words

kirby007 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
kirby007 said:

I was talking about the way you spinned your words

I know, lol, that joke could work both ways though.

NO NO, NO NO NO.