By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finally - get the BluRay performance of the PS3 in a standalone player

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2334502,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

It's been a bit of a wait - but Home Cinema fans finally have a entry-level choice in a standalone BluRay player that matches the PS3 feature-for-feature without the noise, power consumption or awkward shape.

Ironically - the player comes from Sony itself and it is the BDP-350.  The player does everything you could possible want apart from on-board DTS-HD (although you can send the bitstream to a DTS-HD receiver) - but it does do everything else including on-board decoding of Dolby TrueHD lossless.

Furthermore, it features and ethernet port and can be updated to Profile 2.0 via ISO image available for download from Sony - so you can also enjoy full BD-live functionality.

Even more - the BDP350 also features the Sony XMB interface - so existing PS3 fans will be familiar with it and X360 or non-console owners will enjoy the intuitive design of the XMB.

As far as picture quality - the 350 is at the top of the list with excellent playback on BluRay 1080p/24 and also achieves top-line upscaling of normal DVD's.  Loading time is also extremely quick with an advertised 6 second boot up when using the quick start mode.

And finally - it's small, modest and lean.  Less than 22cm deep and not as wide as previous oversized players.  It will fit nicely into the smallest of shelves and best of all - it only consumes 15 watts on playback and is as quiet as a mouse.

Whether you're looking for an inexpensive BluRay player for a second room, An X360 owner looking to take advantage of the new HD format - or just a Home Theatre fan who wants the BluRay quality without having to purchase a toy to get it - this IS the player you've been looking for - and all for less than $250 U.S. (£169 GBP at the BT shop for UK buyers)

I predict it will be the hottest selling standalone player this year.
Thank you, Sony - we've been waiting far too long.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Entry level you meant to say... as there are many many blu ray players with better spec and output quality than the PS3... ask any home cinema nut.

So... you can now get an upgradeable and high quality blu ray player and a new 360 for a total of £300... interesting.

I thought you already could... isn't it called the PS3?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

What I want is a blu ray player you can connect an external hard drive to.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Yea go to a computer hardware website and buy a blue-ray drive for 130 dollars :P and hook ur computer up

kowenicki said:
Entry level you meant to say... as there are many many blu ray players with better spec and output quality than the PS3... ask any home cinema nut.

So... you can now get an upgradeable and high quality blu ray player and a new 360 for a total of £300... interesting.

Why thank you...

As a "home cinema nut" the PS3 has so far offered the best video output and audio output of any standalone Blu-ray player while also with its built in hard drive offers flexable software upgrades such as online features.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

@kowenicki said:

".... but that option doesnt have gears2! "

Nor does it have built in wireless to play Gears online (£50 still is it?). Not everyone has or wants cables spread throughout the house.

Hmm, pie.

kowenicki said:
@ jordahn... oh.. sorry... I meant an unbiased one.

Then go to www.soundandvisionmag.com.  Their assessment usually falls in line with mine for over my past five years in the audio and video arena.  Oh, and for your sake... pot... kettle...black...

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

People will still buy the PS3 more than stand alone players.

kowenicki said:
@ jordahn... oh.. sorry... I meant an unbiased one.

Lol that's funny.  I don't know who he is and whether he is a fan boy but that is really funny.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tallgnome said:
Yea go to a computer hardware website and buy a blue-ray drive for 130 dollars :P and hook ur computer up

Not really the solution I am after.  Truth of the matter is I am not really all that interested in Blu Ray.  What I want a blu ray player for is to play back my recordings from my HD camcorder.  Blu ray would just be an added bonus.  My PC is not powerful enough to do so which is why I need a blu ray player as they play the camcorder format flawlessly.  But unless it allowed you to connect an external hard drive it wouldn't be of much use to me.  PS3 would be the ideal solution but seems a bit expensive for what I would use it for.