By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Gnizmo said:

Kulle said:

If you use the numbers from this site:

360 has sold roughly 125 million third party games, wii roughly 63 million third party games and ps3 roughly 61 million third party games.

I am not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying my numbers are wrong, or trying to expand upon them? I assure you the numbers I have are right as NPD is a much much better source for software sold than Vgchartz for a number of reasons. The Wii has almost certainly sold more than that in third party software as it is at more than 2/3rds of that with only USA data.

Just saying. You can do the math yourself. It could be that I counted mario&sonic as first party, because this site somehow says it is first party. :)

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=245&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

Wasn't wii sold with a lot of forced bundle games in USA 2007? I am not talking about wii sports here.. I have a faint memory that it was sold with 5 games or something and you could not buy it without them. At least in some stores. :) That could skew the numbers a bit.

edit:

Yes, I had done that. Now it lists as sega title, so my numbers were wrong. Now I got a number of 73 million third party sales on wii. Which is pretty weird. :D

Around the Network
Kulle said: 

Just saying. You can do the math yourself. It could be that I counted mario&sonic as first party, because this site somehow says it is first party. :)

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=245&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

Wasn't wii sold with a lot of forced bundle games in USA 2007? I am not talking about wii sports here.. I have a faint memory that it was sold with 5 games or something and you could not buy it without them. At least in some stores. :) That could skew the numbers a bit.

Firstly, forced bundles by the retailer would be counted in both the sales from NPD and Vgchartz. This is just a retailer making you buy more than just a console from them. Secondly, they were never that common. It was the only way to get one in some stores because it was otherwise just sold out, and no one wanted to pony up the extra cash for shitty games. Lastly, Mario and Sonic alone is not likely to account for the software discrpencies. It is a known fact that Vgchartz is under tracking almost all games. Game sales before a certain time (I forget when) are mostly not counted because the software tracking wasn't in place. The numbers you quoted just aren't that reliable especially when compared with the proffesional tracking services.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Kulle said: 

Firstly, forced bundles by the retailer would be counted in both the sales from NPD and Vgchartz. This is just a retailer making you buy more than just a console from them. Secondly, they were never that common. It was the only way to get one in some stores because it was otherwise just sold out, and no one wanted to pony up the extra cash for shitty games. Lastly, Mario and Sonic alone is not likely to account for the software discrpencies. It is a known fact that Vgchartz is under tracking almost all games. Game sales before a certain time (I forget when) are mostly not counted because the software tracking wasn't in place. The numbers you quoted just aren't that reliable especially when compared with the proffesional tracking services.

Yes, I think that they are counted on both npd and vgc. And of course that tracking problem applies to all consoles, so I don't know how big a point that is. Do you have the current ltd number from npd available? I can't find them anywhere. :P

Kulle said: 

Yes, I think that they are counted on both npd and vgc. And of course that tracking problem applies to all consoles, so I don't know how big a point that is. Do you have the current ltd number from npd available? I can't find them anywhere. :P

It certainly is a problem across all consoles, but it might not be a problem evenly distributed across all consoles. We have no way of knowing which ones should be higher or lower or how far off the numbers may be. All we have is an admittedly incomplete set of numbers for software sales. The weekly top * chart are good for what they are, but I am reluctant to use VG chartz numbers for long term.

For complete NPD numbers I can't give you a location. For the first 23 months of a consoles life I suggest you just scroll up. That would be the complete data for the Wii and PS3 but only the first 2 years of the 360. You can already see where the numbers have some fairly large discrepencies with what you posted.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Go PS3!!!

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

The second set of graphs are from the same set of data as mine. They essentially show similar things. Remember that the second set of graphs is not adjusted for install base differences, which is why PS3 looks so low.

By the way, I just added to the Wii 3rd party attach rate by ordering No More Heroes from Amazon. LOL (and added to MS' first party by also ordering Banjo).

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

RolStoppable said:
Ail said:
johnsobas said:
where is that graph from nintendo's financial statement about 3rd party sales? Someone post it that'll prove your point. Still the 3rd party games don't sell on wii will people will continue anyway but at least this thread will end.

I could be wrong but from the history on this site most of the people complaining about lack of third party support on the Wii are not Wii haters but actual Wii owners..

You are mixing things up. Wii owners are usually complaining about the lack of good third party support.

The people who are always quick to point out that third party software doesn't sell on the Wii, usually don't own a Wii. Or in fastyxx's case didn't buy one, but won it. However, the claim that third party software doesn't sell on the Wii has been proven wrong time and time again, like in this case.

Graph requested by johnsobas:

That's a pretty good result for third parties considering how much tougher the competition from first party software is on the Wii compared to the 360 and the PS3 (graph doesn't include Wii Sports):

look at the graph, leave the thread.  I don't see what other evidence people want, this is right from nintendo's financial report.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Haha. This gen i laugh a lot thanks to sony force.

Great software and hardware, in both Others and AMerica. For the leading HD console.

PS3 with two great titles out, not so good. Will it ever catch.

johnsobas said:

look at the graph, leave the thread.  I don't see what other evidence people want, this is right from nintendo's financial report.

The graph is the same as the other graph.  That graph shows that 3rd party software in the first 23 months is low for the Wii.  Not high.  You're not dividing it out by install base.  It looks like PS3 is low there, and that 360 is below Wii, but when you divide it out by console you get that Wii has the least 3rd party attach rate.  From Nintendo's own data, as you said.

You have to divide each number by 16 million, 13 million and 6 million first.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
johnsobas said:

The graph is the same as the other graph.  That graph shows that 3rd party software in the first 23 months is low for the Wii.  Not high.  You're not dividing it out by install base.  It looks like PS3 is low there, and that 360 is below Wii, but when you divide it out by console you get that Wii has the least 3rd party attach rate.  From Nintendo's own data, as you said.

You have to divide each number by 16 million, 13 million and 6 million first.

unless you want raw data and not an attach rate.  I think the point is that 3rd party software is selling well on wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X