By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
illuminatus said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
illuminatus said:
the curve of the Wii sales of the past 5 weeks in NA kinda looks unnatural...

the December probably will have weaker sales than expected.

Great logic!

Would you like to bet on that?

I never bet.

But I still believe that 4th quarter 2008 won't see more console sales than 4th quarter 2007 in NA

For your sake, it's probably a good thing you don't ever bet. Regardless, you set yourself up to look bad by constantly making absurd claims without evidence or even reasoning to back them up.

I don't see why the last 1/4 wouldn't be better for consoles in general, seeing how the 1st 3/4 of the year were. Not to mention, successful consoles generally have better year over year sales in their starting years. And when you add the fact, that Nintendo has up'd production and been stock piling Wii's, with the fact that Wii's have extraordinarily short self lives, it equals huge sales. As far as HD consoles go, MS has had a price cut, Sony has a new SKU out, and there has been a sudden burst in quality games being released.

The bottom line is... none of that is even necessary for a gain in console sales, because this is generally the time in game generations, when more people get onboard.

Around the Network
NintendoMonopoly said:
illuminatus said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
illuminatus said:
the curve of the Wii sales of the past 5 weeks in NA kinda looks unnatural...

the December probably will have weaker sales than expected.

Great logic!

Would you like to bet on that?

I never bet.

But I still believe that 4th quarter 2008 won't see more console sales than 4th quarter 2007 in NA

For your sake, it's probably a good thing you don't ever bet. Regardless, you set yourself up to look bad by constantly making absurd claims without evidence or even reasoning to back them up.

I don't see why the last 1/4 wouldn't be better for consoles in general, seeing how the 1st 3/4 of the year were. Not to mention, successful consoles generally have better year over year sales in their starting years. And when you add the fact, that Nintendo has up'd production and been stock piling Wii's, with the fact that Wii's have extraordinarily short self lives, it equals huge sales. As far as HD consoles go, MS has had a price cut, Sony has a new SKU out, and there has been a sudden burst in quality games being released.

The bottom line is... none of that is even necessary for a gain in console sales, because this is generally the time in game generations, when more people get onboard.

Well said

Seriously. The Wii sells almost 300k consoles on a sales base of 16 million, and if you take out Wii Sports and Wii Play (which we all know no one buys for the game), the Wii moves only 1.3 million software units combined? And look at the top 50 for Wii sales. Pathetic.

What do people play on that thing? I can't believe the console sells like crazy and the software other than first party Mario stuff and Guitar Hero just sits there.

Granted PS3/360 had big releases, but this week:

360 sells .23 games per console owned
PS3 sells .20 games per console owned
Wii sells .11 games per console owned (.093 per console if you take out Wii Sports)

It's crazy that people really don't buy anything other than first party or music games. Except Carnival Games and Raving Rabbids.

(Granted there are some 360/PS3 bundles rolling around too, but its not EVERY console sold like the Wii. Look like the 360 bundle with Indy and Kung Fu Panda sold 66k, which is a LOT, I'd say, which would bring the 360 number down to .22 if you took those out.)

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Wii sells .11 games per console owned (.093 per console if you take out Wii Sports)

It's crazy that people really don't buy anything other than first party or music games. Except Carnival Games and Raving Rabbids.

The Wii ratio isn't a constant number, plus as you say the PS360 have big releases these days, the user base for the PS360 usually buys new games on day one or the same week. The Wii user base on the other side usually check old releases if you see the Wii list is full of games like Lego Star Wars, Guitar Hero III, Mario and Sonic, etc.

alfredofroylan said:

The Wii ratio isn't a constant number, plus as you say the PS360 have big releases these days, the user base for the PS360 usually buys new games on day one or the same week. The Wii user base on the other side usually check old releases if you see the Wii list is full of games like Lego Star Wars, Guitar Hero III, Mario and Sonic, etc.

That's what I am saying though.  Carnival games is a million seller.  Lego Star Wars is getting close.  

Everything else is Mario or Guitar Hero.  (I know Mario/Sonic is Sega, not Nintendo, but it's still Mario-branded.)

Sixteen million consoles in Americas and only three third party million-sellers? And one is Mario anyway?  That's amazing.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:

Seriously. The Wii sells almost 300k consoles on a sales base of 16 million, and if you take out Wii Sports and Wii Play (which we all know no one buys for the game), the Wii moves only 1.3 million software units combined? And look at the top 50 for Wii sales. Pathetic.

What do people play on that thing? I can't believe the console sells like crazy and the software other than first party Mario stuff and Guitar Hero just sits there.

(Granted there are some 360/PS3 bundles rolling around too, but its not EVERY console sold like the Wii. Look like the 360 bundle with Indy and Kung Fu Panda sold 66k, which is a LOT, I'd say, which would bring the 360 number down to .22 if you took those out.)

You answered yourself multiple times, despite it being an incorrect assertion.. 

From recent threads and articles, surely you'd have seen that the Wii has a higher third part attach ratio than the PS3 in Americas

fastyxx said:

That's what I am saying though.  Carnival games is a million seller.  Lego Star Wars is getting close.

Everything else is Mario or Guitar Hero.  (I know Mario/Sonic is Sega, not Nintendo, but it's still Mario-branded.)

Sixteen million consoles in Americas and only three third party million-sellers? And one is Mario anyway?  That's amazing.

I would say they are probably playing a very wide range of games causing no one game to get pushed past the one million in America alone hurdle you put so much emphasis on. This is based on a few fairly basic facts. First off the Wii has a higher attach rate in the Americas than the PS3 does currently. Secondy, it is selling third party software at a faster pace than either of the other consoles. That is, if you compare the first 23 months on the market the Wii has the most third party software sold. Lastly I would say it because of the wide range of million sellers already on the Wii that got there with half a million in sales in Americas with the other regions pushing the game over the million seller hurdle. Feel free to reply to this or just ignore it and switch to a new talking point like last time.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Well atleast in CT it looks like the Wii is finally on the shelf for more then a few days.
We got 20+ at work and have managed to keep them on the shelves for a Monday - Wednesday. They still don't last over the weekend, but looks like Nintendo is *finally* starting to meet demand after a good two + years of under producing.

Or have they? We'll find out come the final week of Xmas.

It's just that simple.

Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:
Ohh the bitterness in Ail is just hilarious lol :P

Btw you are posting right now! Go play your games, you won't have enough time, right?

I can't bring my console to work or I would :((((

I'm not bitter, the success of the Wii hasn't affected my gaming at all and I'm not the one making bitter thread about the lack of releases on my consoles or the poor quality of third party software...

I am forced to offer my +1 manship. The Wii may have a large market share, but I doubt it has more than 1/3rd of the market I actually care about.

The PC market??? Ofcourse, not. Not yet, but wait until they start releasing killer application "games" like, "Pokemon PowerPoint", "Mario PhotoShop", "Wii Word". Then, you're going to see some crazzy:):):):):):) John Lucas like sales.

Maybe you don't care, but I happen to enjoy both casual and core games. Most normal gamers do, unlike diehard fanboys, that only care about brand image and snobcore gollums that are too far removed from the real world to see the light; that social gaming just might be fun. A type of fun that doesn't require investing constant meaningless devotion and sacrificing any existence of a personal life, but to each his own.

Gnizmo said:

I would say they are probably playing a very wide range of games causing no one game to get pushed past the one million in America alone hurdle you put so much emphasis on. So what games are they?  That's what I am asking.  Even Madden only sold like 350k or something.  And yes, one million is an arbitrary number, but it's just the common one.  Pick another that works for you.  One in 16 isn't a huge attach rate to get to a million for a good game.

This is based on a few fairly basic facts. First off the Wii has a higher attach rate in the Americas than the PS3 does currently. Secondy, it is selling third party software at a faster pace than either of the other consoles. That is, if you compare the first 23 months on the market the Wii has the most third party software sold. What is the source for this?  Is it on here?  I believe you.  I just want to read it.  I am also surprised by how low the PS3 number is, but the Ps3 still sold double the software per console this week.

Lastly I would say it because of the wide range of million sellers already on the Wii that got there with half a million in sales in Americas with the other regions pushing the game over the million seller hurdle. Feel free to reply to this or just ignore it and switch to a new talking point like last time. Well obviously there are more worldwide million sellers.  I am talking about America.  Everyone I know with a Wii plays the same five games.  The number is just low overall, including first party games. 

I'm really not trying to bash the Wii - it's just that the software numbers seem awfully low lately, including first party.  I can't believe I'm the only one who fins it odd that there is such momentum for the console and so little momentum for its games.  That's not weird?  Are people just buying used or renting?