By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Isn't early adoption kind of silly?

I've never been one to buy a consumer electronic product when something is first introduced. Virtually every product that is extremely expensive will become much cheaper in little time. Take Blu-Ray or HD players for example. HD players were $500 or more when they came out and people bought them and now, they're not even relevant anymore. Blu-Ray players while being the successful HD format cost $1,000 or so and just a couple years later, you can commonly find them in the $200-300 range.

This has been true for other electronics too of course such as Laser Disk players. You have to feel sorry for the people who bought that thing. The iPhone released last year for $500/600 and when they dropped the price a couple hundred dollars, early adopters complained. I found it funny since they should've known better since that's always been the way with electronics. The same for the old Motorola Razr, it was extremely expensive when it came out and within months, it became a bargain phone that was commonly under $100.  Recently, the new iPhone was released which is better in most ways over the older iPhone but only costs $200 compared to the original's opening price of $600 just a year earlier.

Even video game consoles recently have released at much higher prices to come down quick in prices. And then there's always the risk that they system you're paying a lot of money for could completely bomb. Just look at the 3DO, Virtual Boy or Atari Jaguar for a few examples. This leaves with nothing but a piece of nostalgia at best and a big paper weight most likely. Of course, with the three console manufacturers now, there is a much smaller chance of complete failure.

It might just be my opinion but doesn't it seem better to wait for a little while to see if the electronic device/system proves to be successful as well as saving a lot of money by maybe just waiting a year or so?

I've always felt this way but I got the idea when watching The Wedding Singer last night. Watch the clip below. (You can just jump or fast forward to 5:30 in the video to 6:10

EDIT! - Why doesn't the video work in my first post to start the thread but copying and pasting it the same exact way work in the post below? Anyway, the video is in my post below.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Around the Network

Not always. I would only be upset if I bought a console at launch and had no games to play. I accept that the price will drop eventually, that's just common sense, but as long as I have games I'm happy.

what? the iphone actually cost 1800$ without going over the minutes.
by the same logic you can get a nokia n95 8gb for free on contracts.
the iphone that have a cost 600$ was overpriced because of apple and u could buy the phone and have it without active it the new one its not possible.
someone will have to pay the contract for a good while before cutting it.

razr made motorola slump into death,from second place after nokia they are now fourth player in a 5 man race.

and the 5th LG its making bigger profits.

new things will always be more expensive thats how the market worth.

and of course many early adopters have better income than others, for many early adopters paying 1000$ for a gadget its nothing, like a dollar to buy a soda.

not many people would take loans to purchase such a thing since its new.

360 was more than double it cost now, ps3 reduced the price my 100$-200$.
and the wii will likely drop the price too.

I mean buying a game at launch is an early adopter if you wait they will come down in price, as long as you know. For blu ray I wasnt touching that cause you didnt know if HDDVD would win, I lived through VHS, Beat max. Whats the worse is early adopting the losing format

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

The 60gig PS3 is still the best one. Think about that.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

you do realize that its due to early adopters buying the product at that price the prices drop down right? As products of expansive prices get purchased it pays back production costs which in turn makes producing the product cheaper.

So really you shouldnt be questioning them, you should be thanking them.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Early PS3 adopters got full BC.

Late PS3 adopters got to bitch about the lack of BC.........

I was a mid early adopter and got partial BC ( 80Gig) and I'm quite happy with it...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

ssj12 said:
you do realize that its due to early adopters buying the product at that price the prices drop down right? As products of expansive prices get purchased it pays back production costs which in turn makes producing the product cheaper.

I'm not so much questioning them as I'm questioning each member if they think it's worth it. Also, while there is some truth to your logic, companies would find other ways to make profit. They would simply wait just a little longer to manufacture and release something when they can make profit from their product at a more standard price instead of the expensive price an item may be released at. And it is just my opinion afterall.

ssj12 said:

We're thanking them but also thinking they get screwed up. If they a lot of money to waste, good for them.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...