By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, Wii Sports is the 2nd best selling console game of all time..

Oh ok, I also believe Wii Sports attach ratio would have been bigger outside Japan, by a lot. Probably 25 million is a good number.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Of course, arguments about how well the game would have done un-bundled are pretty pointless anyway. Wii Sports is an authentic system seller, meaning that sales of the hardware itself would be lower if it were not bundled. The success of Wii Sports reflects the success of the Wii, for the most part. Though there are exceptions to the rule with some of the incumbent gaming crowd, the fact is that Wii Sports is what most buy the console for in the first place.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sigh, this breaks my heart. I wish the best selling game of all time could stay Mario Bros. forever. WiiSports is a disgrace compared to that.

That's really amazing. I wonder how long it will be until in knocks Mario off the top?

perpride said:
I dislike Wii Sports and the Casual market, therefore it shouldn't become the best selling game of all time.

Fixed.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
perpride said:
Sigh, this breaks my heart. I wish the best selling game of all time could stay Mario Bros. forever. WiiSports is a disgrace compared to that.

Wii Sports is great. Stop complaining.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

perpride said:

You don't know how many people agree with you, despite them not being on VGChartz.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

yeah alot of families love this package

perpride said:

Well, if you count the GBC and GBA versions of SMB, it brings total sales up to 47.57m.

And the game sold 10.55m as part of the Super Mario All-Stars pack for SNES, bringing it up to 58.12m.

And VGC estimates Virtual Console sales at 1.46m, bringing the total to 59.58m.

Of course, Wii Sports should still crush that total. I'd say the over/under for lifetime sales of Wii Sports has to be pushing 9 digits by now. Between now and when Wii Sports passes SMB in about a year, you can also enjoy it passing the combined total of the original Tetris (GB/NES/GBC) at 37.77m, and the combined total of Pokemon R/G/B AND Yellow at 46.02m, not to mention things like the entire Zelda franchise, the entire Gran Turismo franchise, the entire Donkey Kong franchise, etc. Not to mention more monumental sales milestones for Wii Play, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Brain Training. Yessir, the next year of videogame sales watching will be a great time not to be you.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.