By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears of War 2 imported into japan

KichiVerde said:
GLoRySoGLoRy said:
Nice. This is the first time I seen Japanese importing a game from U.S.

have fun killing locusts.

It is very rare. Only a few specialty stores in electronic and gaming centers like Akihabara handle imports.  Most are the Asian Versions (NTSC-J for Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong) since they are usually released at the same time as European and American versions.  This is done to help reduce the circulation of pirated copies.  The Japanese version of overseas games however usually come out much later after the American and European ones. Sometimes after half a year or more.  The original GoW came out here in Feb., not Nov. It is really lame for the Japanese consumer and it is one of the reasons the X-BOX has not done so well. Another problem is the lack of marketing late games get.

So Gears 2 was marketed in Japan, even though it was banned and not supposed to be sold there?

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
KichiVerde said:
GLoRySoGLoRy said:

It is very rare. Only a few specialty stores in electronic and gaming centers like Akihabara handle imports.  Most are the Asian Versions (NTSC-J for Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong) since they are usually released at the same time as European and American versions.  This is done to help reduce the circulation of pirated copies.  The Japanese version of overseas games however usually come out much later after the American and European ones. Sometimes after half a year or more.  The original GoW came out here in Feb., not Nov. It is really lame for the Japanese consumer and it is one of the reasons the X-BOX has not done so well. Another problem is the lack of marketing late games get.

Don't judge to fast. 80% of japanese games came here 1-9 months later. I'm still waiting for Tales of Vesperia in Europe.

pbroy said:
KichiVerde said:
GLoRySoGLoRy said:

It is very rare. Only a few specialty stores in electronic and gaming centers like Akihabara handle imports. Most are the Asian Versions (NTSC-J for Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong) since they are usually released at the same time as European and American versions. This is done to help reduce the circulation of pirated copies. The Japanese version of overseas games however usually come out much later after the American and European ones. Sometimes after half a year or more. The original GoW came out here in Feb., not Nov. It is really lame for the Japanese consumer and it is one of the reasons the X-BOX has not done so well. Another problem is the lack of marketing late games get.

So Gears 2 was marketed in Japan, even though it was banned and not supposed to be sold there?

That pretty much begs the question: why the hell was Gears of War 2 banned in Japan in the first place?  They shouldn't have a problem with the violence since the Japanese are accepting of violence as long as it doesn't involve decapitations.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that MS isn't releasing the game in JP. They released the first one(although a bit later than Western release), so I don't see why they don't release #2.

Anyway, now I'm going to have to pick up my copy from play-asia (either the asian or the US version, I haven't decided yet)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Riachu said:
pbroy said:
KichiVerde said:
GLoRySoGLoRy said:

It is very rare. Only a few specialty stores in electronic and gaming centers like Akihabara handle imports. Most are the Asian Versions (NTSC-J for Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong) since they are usually released at the same time as European and American versions. This is done to help reduce the circulation of pirated copies. The Japanese version of overseas games however usually come out much later after the American and European ones. Sometimes after half a year or more. The original GoW came out here in Feb., not Nov. It is really lame for the Japanese consumer and it is one of the reasons the X-BOX has not done so well. Another problem is the lack of marketing late games get.

That pretty much begs the question: why the hell was Gears of War 2 banned in Japan in the first place?  They shouldn't have a problem with the violence since the Japanese are accepting of violence as long as it doesn't involve decapitations.

Gears 2 has decapitations.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
pbroy said:
Riachu said:
pbroy said:
KichiVerde said:
GLoRySoGLoRy said:

That pretty much begs the question: why the hell was Gears of War 2 banned in Japan in the first place? They shouldn't have a problem with the violence since the Japanese are accepting of violence as long as it doesn't involve decapitations.

Gears 2 has decapitations.

Maybe that's why.  Wait a minute, Gears 1 had decapitations too so I just contridicted myslef.

Im not sure of the game is banned in Japan or not.  That would suck if it really is.  It would sell well here like the first one (at least for an Xbox 360 game).  They could at least release an edited version.

Japanese arent huge on FPS but there are some games that still sell.  COD4, Halo 3 and Lost Planet are some examples.

smbu2000 said:
Yeah, it's ridiculous that MS isn't releasing the game in JP. They released the first one(although a bit later than Western release), so I don't see why they don't release #2.

Anyway, now I'm going to have to pick up my copy from play-asia (either the asian or the US version, I haven't decided yet)

Japan banned the 2nd one

It doesnt make sense why they would ban GoW 2. From what Ive seen from the RE 5 trailers it is just as graphic in terms of gore and violence. However, there is huge anticipation for that game and Im sure it will have a huge advertising campaign come next year.

The game ain't banned in Japan--the first one had horrible sales there so they decided it wasn't worth it to localize. Europe's another story...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."