By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles=best console RPG of the current generation

ZenfoldorVGI said:
outlawauron said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh, just wanted to add...

In your title, you have it listed as best console "console RPG" of this generation.(What PC rpg this gen do you think is better, The Witcher Enhanced Edition? IMO, you'd be correct.)

I thought you said "JRPG."

It was my mistake.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think Valkyria Chronicles(after actually playing the games) was better than Mass Effect, Fable 2, or Fallout 3.

To each his own, though, so forgive my mistake in my last post.

IMO, Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. Don't get me wrong. Much, much, much better than Eternal Sonata, and one of the best jrpgs on the PS3. I highly recommend purchase.

Have played through Mass Effect and I am playing Fallout 3 right now, VC is so much better. Haven't played Fable 2 as my 360 is still broken. Do you own it Zen?

Sold it back, liked it though. Also, you're prone to like the japanese games more. I know you, lol.

You didn't wait for the DLC? 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Well, I finally got and started playing VC.
It's one of the best SRPG I've ever played from the few I've seen of it (2 chapters).
If SRPG are your preferred JRPG genre, it's one of the best. I don't anymore feel the need to get the other poor ones like Agarest Senki.

It will bomb hard in Europe as it's only translated to english in addition to being a SRPG. Also, the english translation is very bad like most english translations, meaning it's not even a translation, as most of the time the characters don't even say the same thing as in the japanese VA, and they even invent words that they never said in the original VA. I have a very bad feeling of Patlabor movies (director Mamoru Oshii) syndrome. These were so badly translated and revealed the plot before things happened, destroying the movies completely.
That's why I always want my original japanese actors in games or anime. Translations are plain unbearable when you know they are plain wrong and often stupid (like in VC).

I wouldn't call it best console RPG of this gen, as it depends on what you prefer in RPG.
It's a JRPG, so if you prefer WRPG, it just won't cut it. Among the JRPG, it's a SRPG, which is a niche in the genre, so unless you have a preference for SRPG like me, it just won't cut it either.
Thus comparing a SRPG to other JRPG is already stupid, but comparing a SRPG to WRPG is beyond stupidity.
Saying it's the best SRPG of this gen would have been more reasonable. I'm not sure I agree yet, but it sure is among my top three already.