By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of Fire II on Virtual Console, is it worth a purchase?

I haven't played it, but I remember a review in the N-Zone when it came out for the GBA. I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with BoF I now, but I think they wrote it is good game with a very interesting story and good characters, still worth a purchase today. Biggest problem is that you run into a fight too often. Their score was around 84 % I think.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

BoF II?!? VC?!?!?! Must get. Very fun RPG. Best part is building your own city. :D

RolStoppable said:

Well, I can look up review scores myself, I was looking for opinions of people who actually played it. Anyway, thanks for contributing.

It's really weird, earlier today the NoE website had Virtual Console news with BoFII (including a short description of the game) available, now it looks like the game isn't on VC ready for purchase. I guess we have to wait for next week then.

But still, if someone has played the game, post your impressions.

May I suggest *cough*emulation*cough*, but then buying the VC game if you like what you see, and then your *cough*ROM*cough* would just be a "copy for personal use" (and sprite ripping, which is okay, if used only for entertainment purposes).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

sweet game, if you like SNES RPGs i think it is one of my top 5 (which is good because the competition is tough). If you don't like the old turn based style or SNES graphics then don't get it, RPGs have changed a lot since then.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I remember having a BoF game (don't remember the number, been a while) and I remember loving it. Not that helpful I suppose, but if there's only 1 BoF game on the SNES then it might help a little.

Around the Network

I recommend it. I think you should play BoF 1 first. Dragon Quarter for the PS2 was hardcore. Really good game, hated by the n00bies for its difficulty.

the english translation was horrible and should make for a few good laughs along the way. I rented once years ago and remember enjoying it. I think the first one is better.

I remember enjoying both BoF 1 and 2. I really did miss playing these games. I did not realize that they released 3 more afterwards for the PS. But I think with a lot of the old RPGs on the SNES you need the nostalgia factor to really stay interested. That is unless you are a hard-core old school RPG fanatic.

I just downloaded Breath of Fire 2 on ROM recently to try to re-beat it. I never finished it. I own an actual copy of BOF back from launch (both 1 and 2 for SNES).

BOF 1 and 2 are insanely good games. They're similar turn based fare like Final Fantasy, but the art direction is more similar to Dragon Quest. It's a rather difficult RPG, and there are TONS of side quests, and things to do.

It's certainly one of the better SNES RPGs out there. IMO, I prefered BOF1 since it started alot of stuff (9 party members, character switching, ultimate forms with uber-powers).

I'd highly reccomend it. It's atleast a 30+hr MQ with plenty for SQ duties. Graphics are top-notch, on part with Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

BoF II was a great game, thanks for reminding me of this gem.