By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 26 Best RPGs according to Gamepro

FreeTalkLive said:
Yeah, that is the worst RPG list I've ever seen. It should have include FF4 and FF6 in the top 10, in the very least. I'd but both games in the top 5, without a doubt.

That's pretty hard to swallow if you're including WRPGs in there. I don't think there's room for two FF games in the top five. I do agree that IV and VI are the best FF games, though.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:

the critique is.. a 10 year old child leaves home to explore a world full of creatures, some cute, some powerful, some mysterious and some legendary, and while doing so collects these creatures, train them for battling, battle trainers and gym leaders and become a master at the art.  And while doing on this adventure is often meant by a rival that challenges him or her as their both have similar admirations to become the best.  Also while on this adventure the child is met with the task of defeating an organization dead set on using these creatures for evil.  After defeating the evil organization, and collecting all the badges, the child changes a league of 4 elite trainers and a champion that ends up being someone from earlier in the game.  After the defeating all 5 of these trainers, the child is given champion status and the credits rolls.  After than, the child is able to collect Legendary creatures he was not able to collect and collect the rest of these creatures via evolving, catching, trading, breeding, etc.

Ok, thats like the world setting more than a story. Could anyone tell me about the boy? His personality? Why does he want to do that? What does he win in the end after doing that? It doesnt have anything complex in there, and its the same story in every pokemon game, there is almost no dialogue between characters, you cant feel empathy(dont know if u say it like this, English is not my main language) for the characters, and in the end you feel like you never finished or acomplished anything besides collecting and leveling up badass pokemon.

Once again, I said that the multiplayer, not the story, is where the game shines.  Also we're talking about games right? not Soup Operas and Movies because to me, most JRPG's are just wannabe movies. (ex. FF7, ToS, KH).  Also, just because the game is centralized around something you don't like, doesn't mean it's a bad game.  I think Final Fantasy VII is heavily emo but I acknowledge it as a good game.  That's what I mean.

Even if u say they are wannabe movies, that is what most enjoy. And ts not just that I dont like it because its not centralized in what I dont like. As you dont like FF7 and still think its a good game, I dont like Shooters and I think gears and resistance are good games, I dont like MMO and I know there are many good games like these. But pokemon multiplayer is not as great to stand up for all its flaws.

I guess the ~16.08 million (factoring people who bought multiple copies) aren't into what most enjoy.

I doubt all of those are RPG lovers, they are mostly children and old pokemon fans like my friend, and I also doubt most RPG guys have pokemon as one of their favorites.

pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

http://www.smogon.com/ explore this site than say Pokemon is a bad game.

?? Whats the site about? anyway, I read some of the things in the first page and they look interesting, but I think its nothing that couldnt be done in a patch, the core gameplay on the games hasnt changed a bit in all these years, and it should considering, like I said before, the differences in the hardware that couldve been used to make a much better game.

The gameplay has changed quite a bit.  Natures, Abilities, IV values, EV values, new and more competitive moves, held items, and the separation of special and physical attack among types.. Blue and Red could be summed up an exchange of powerful moves til all of the Pokemon on one team is knocked out.  Diamond and Pearl has achieved great balance in the game and a much deeper competitive mechanic that probably can't be realized by a child playing the game.  Smogon.com has pretty much turned the battling of Pokemon into a science and I doubt a mediorce game is worth doing so.

Anything can be turned into a science, especially a game which has so many fans as pokemon, that doesnt change the fact that you can beat the game without thinking too much or even paying attention to those battle mechanics.

Anyway, it doesnt seem that ill make you change your mind, and you wont change mine.
I still dont think the pokemon games should be in the best RPG everI think any final fantasy is better, and there are better RPG than many FF.

The great thing about Pokemon is that you don't have stop playing once you finish it.  There's a little something called Player vs. Player battles.  Name a Final Fantasy that has great multiplayer possibility and isn't a minigame.

FF 11, and RPG are not about the multiplayer, they are about story and gameplay mechanics, and if these are both great, you dont need multiplayer. Besides, its not like all RPG are linear, you can still play and roam the world in FF.

Multiplayer is where PKMN really shines, much like Storytelling is where FF shines.  To say that an RPG can't be about multiplayer is just narrow minded thinking, imo.

I didnt say it cant be about multiplayer, but for many RPG lover the best thing in these is the story. And the multiplayer in pokemon, from the ones I played, is something newer in the series, if u dont include the link cable battles in the old ones.

What?

I didnt mean that and its pretty clear, to say RPG are about story and gameplay is not to negate multiplayer. And even MMORPG have a story behind them, the multiplayer aspect is more of a part of the gameplay.

So basically what I meant is RPG are based on their story, and the other things as multiplayer are secondary things. Besides, pokemon is not based in its multiplayer but more on the single player.

facepalm.jpg

If you were an old fan, you should know that the series is more of a social experience than anything else.  Any people thought about Pokemon when you were younger?  For me, a good chunk of my best friends and I met while playing against each other.

I loved pokemon when I was 9, I watched the series and had the first games, Red, yellow and silver later, and I tell u the times I played multiplayer in pokemon where no more than 4. You had to get a guy with another version of the game which is just a way nintendo used to  get more sales, the stupid link cable, and the battles where boring since you knew that if a guy had just one character stronger than yours you would loose almost for sure.

I think the reason you met ypur friends was because in that time everyone liked pokemon and played it, but to have everyone playing it and sharing their gaming experiences with you doesnt mean the game is centered in multiplayer

Ever wonder while there are 2 versions? Because you can't really complete, barring cheat devices, without trading which makes it an overall more social experience. Also, that's why strategy is important in competitive play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3A2R3hcP8 may show you otherwise.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I, unlike most of you here, liked the list. I just think there was room for a couple of FF games in there (def. 6) and Mass Effect should not have been that high.

I definitely agree with number 1 :D.

Walks In.

Looks at List.

Laughs.

Walks Out.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:

the critique is.. a 10 year old child leaves home to explore a world full of creatures, some cute, some powerful, some mysterious and some legendary, and while doing so collects these creatures, train them for battling, battle trainers and gym leaders and become a master at the art.  And while doing on this adventure is often meant by a rival that challenges him or her as their both have similar admirations to become the best.  Also while on this adventure the child is met with the task of defeating an organization dead set on using these creatures for evil.  After defeating the evil organization, and collecting all the badges, the child changes a league of 4 elite trainers and a champion that ends up being someone from earlier in the game.  After the defeating all 5 of these trainers, the child is given champion status and the credits rolls.  After than, the child is able to collect Legendary creatures he was not able to collect and collect the rest of these creatures via evolving, catching, trading, breeding, etc.

Ok, thats like the world setting more than a story. Could anyone tell me about the boy? His personality? Why does he want to do that? What does he win in the end after doing that? It doesnt have anything complex in there, and its the same story in every pokemon game, there is almost no dialogue between characters, you cant feel empathy(dont know if u say it like this, English is not my main language) for the characters, and in the end you feel like you never finished or acomplished anything besides collecting and leveling up badass pokemon.

Once again, I said that the multiplayer, not the story, is where the game shines.  Also we're talking about games right? not Soup Operas and Movies because to me, most JRPG's are just wannabe movies. (ex. FF7, ToS, KH).  Also, just because the game is centralized around something you don't like, doesn't mean it's a bad game.  I think Final Fantasy VII is heavily emo but I acknowledge it as a good game.  That's what I mean.

Even if u say they are wannabe movies, that is what most enjoy. And ts not just that I dont like it because its not centralized in what I dont like. As you dont like FF7 and still think its a good game, I dont like Shooters and I think gears and resistance are good games, I dont like MMO and I know there are many good games like these. But pokemon multiplayer is not as great to stand up for all its flaws.

I guess the ~16.08 million (factoring people who bought multiple copies) aren't into what most enjoy.

I doubt all of those are RPG lovers, they are mostly children and old pokemon fans like my friend, and I also doubt most RPG guys have pokemon as one of their favorites.

I can't argue anymore, my class starts in 5 minutes...

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

http://www.smogon.com/ explore this site than say Pokemon is a bad game.

?? Whats the site about? anyway, I read some of the things in the first page and they look interesting, but I think its nothing that couldnt be done in a patch, the core gameplay on the games hasnt changed a bit in all these years, and it should considering, like I said before, the differences in the hardware that couldve been used to make a much better game.

The gameplay has changed quite a bit.  Natures, Abilities, IV values, EV values, new and more competitive moves, held items, and the separation of special and physical attack among types.. Blue and Red could be summed up an exchange of powerful moves til all of the Pokemon on one team is knocked out.  Diamond and Pearl has achieved great balance in the game and a much deeper competitive mechanic that probably can't be realized by a child playing the game.  Smogon.com has pretty much turned the battling of Pokemon into a science and I doubt a mediorce game is worth doing so.

Anything can be turned into a science, especially a game which has so many fans as pokemon, that doesnt change the fact that you can beat the game without thinking too much or even paying attention to those battle mechanics.

Anyway, it doesnt seem that ill make you change your mind, and you wont change mine.
I still dont think the pokemon games should be in the best RPG everI think any final fantasy is better, and there are better RPG than many FF.

The great thing about Pokemon is that you don't have stop playing once you finish it.  There's a little something called Player vs. Player battles.  Name a Final Fantasy that has great multiplayer possibility and isn't a minigame.

FF 11, and RPG are not about the multiplayer, they are about story and gameplay mechanics, and if these are both great, you dont need multiplayer. Besides, its not like all RPG are linear, you can still play and roam the world in FF.

Multiplayer is where PKMN really shines, much like Storytelling is where FF shines.  To say that an RPG can't be about multiplayer is just narrow minded thinking, imo.

I didnt say it cant be about multiplayer, but for many RPG lover the best thing in these is the story. And the multiplayer in pokemon, from the ones I played, is something newer in the series, if u dont include the link cable battles in the old ones.

What?

I didnt mean that and its pretty clear, to say RPG are about story and gameplay is not to negate multiplayer. And even MMORPG have a story behind them, the multiplayer aspect is more of a part of the gameplay.

So basically what I meant is RPG are based on their story, and the other things as multiplayer are secondary things. Besides, pokemon is not based in its multiplayer but more on the single player.

facepalm.jpg

If you were an old fan, you should know that the series is more of a social experience than anything else.  Any people thought about Pokemon when you were younger?  For me, a good chunk of my best friends and I met while playing against each other.

I loved pokemon when I was 9, I watched the series and had the first games, Red, yellow and silver later, and I tell u the times I played multiplayer in pokemon where no more than 4. You had to get a guy with another version of the game which is just a way nintendo used to  get more sales, the stupid link cable, and the battles where boring since you knew that if a guy had just one character stronger than yours you would loose almost for sure.

I think the reason you met ypur friends was because in that time everyone liked pokemon and played it, but to have everyone playing it and sharing their gaming experiences with you doesnt mean the game is centered in multiplayer

Ever wonder while there are 2 versions? Because you can't really complete, barring cheat devices, without trading which makes it an overall more social experience. Also, that's why strategy is important in competitive play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3A2R3hcP8 may show you otherwise.

I know everything you said, and thats why I dont like it, I wouldve prefered a thousand times being able to complete the game for my self and not having to find another guy to complete my pokedex.

And 10 year olds play this game, almost every battle will end up how I said.

SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:

I can't argue anymore, my class starts in 5 minutes...

Ok bye

Am I the only one that plays Dragon Quest games here??? because it seems that i'm the only one that thinks DQ III and VIII should be on that list...

no ff9=failed
no ys:ark of napishtim= failed

gamepro=F x F = 2F

*F represents Fail