By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 26 Best RPGs according to Gamepro

theRepublic said:
bouzane said:
zexen_lowe said:
darkhaven63 said:
All right since the majority of this board highly disagrees with the list (Including me), why don't we revise the list then? Just a thought ^_^'

OK, here's mine (I'm including SRPGs)

1. Suikoden II
  2. Persona 3/Fes
  3. Final Fantasy Tactics
  4. Final Fantasy VII
  5. Chrono Cross
  6. Final Fantasy VIII
  7. Suikoden V
  8. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
  9. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille Zur Macht
  10. Suikoden III
  11. Kingdom Hearts II
  12. Star Ocean Till The End Of Time
  13. Final Fantasy X
  14. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
  15. Final Fantasy VI
  16. Chrono Trigger
  17. The World Ends With You
  18. Disgaea Hours of Darkness
  19. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
  20. Star Wars KOTOR
  21. Suikoden
  22. Pokemon Gold/Silver
  23. Golden Sun
  24. Final Fantasy XII
  25. Vagrant Story

Yes, I know there's a lack of WRPGs, but they aren't my favourites. At least comment if it's better or worse than Gamepro's

Sorry but I think this is much worse. I'd make my own list but I'm not up to doing much of anything right now.

At least there's no Zelda in this list.  I still can't believe that they put an action adventure game into an RPG list.

I think its a pretty good list but there are going to be some objections.

Around the Network

The Dragon Lance books were kind of like the Twilight books of my high school. It was kind of like a mixture of the original Star Wars Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings. About on a par with the former but not quite as heavy as the latter. I sometimes think about picking them up and rereading them. I actually think an animated version of the first Book Dragons of Autumn Twilight was released early in 2008, but I never heard if it was any good or not. With the right production values, I think someone could make those books into some rather good movies. Definitely better than the last three Star Wars movies at any rate. http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/ Here's a link to the movies trailer. It kind of has an 80's feel to the animation, but Bakshi made an animated version of The Lord of the Rings which was panned by critics before the Jackson version was made and the Jackson version turned out to win an Oscar for Best Picture in the end. So a live action version of Dragon Lance could also turn out well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

@zexen_lowe

Personally, I've never played Suikoden, Vagrant Story or any Persona/Shin Megami games (I know, I'm deprived). I'll have to get to them eventually considering the praise that they garner. I would not include Golden Sun (I found it to be so boring), Kingdom Hearts (downright hated it) or so many Final Fantasy games (I hate what that series has become). Here's my top 10, should give you some insight into my tastes:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Deus Ex
Fallout 2
Earthbound
Planescape: Torment
Final Fantasy IV
Chrono Trigger
Knights of the Old Republic
Final Fantasy VI
Phantasy Star IV

I've probably forgotten some of my favorites considering that it was hastily made but it's reflective of what my top 25 would look like.

EDIT: I forgot Phantasy Star IV

triplebph said:
The Dragon Lance books were kind of like the Twilight books of my high school. It was kind of like a mixture of the original Star Wars Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings. About on a par with the former but not quite as heavy as the latter. I sometimes think about picking them up and rereading them. I actually think an animated version of the first Book Dragons of Autumn Twilight was released early in 2008, but I never heard if it was any good or not. With the right production values, I think someone could make those books into some rather good movies. Definitely better than the last three Star Wars movies at any rate. http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

The books sound interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

jpcsfsd said:
I don't consider Diablo or Baldurs gate to be an RPG.

How would you know if you have never even played Baldur's Gate?

Around the Network

If Baldur's Gate isn't an RPG then nothing is. Period. Most PC gamers define RPG's AS Baldur's Gate, and most will think of that particular series when you say those three letters. Smacking Diablo into the same booth as BG is a crime imo, the difference in depth and gameplay are truly massive.

Mummelmann said:
If Baldur's Gate isn't an RPG then nothing is. Period. Most PC gamers define RPG's AS Baldur's Gate, and most will think of that particular series when you say those three letters. Smacking Diablo into the same booth as BG is a crime imo, the difference in depth and gameplay are truly massive.

Yeah, pretty much. Baldur's Gate is one of the shining examples of RPGs on any platform.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

zexen_lowe said:
First, someone really needs to tell the guys that Zelda's not an RPG

Now, the list isn't completely bad, there are excellent games mentioned (FFVII, Persona 3, Suikoden 3 -though if I had to pick a single Suiko it wouldn't be #3, Kingdom Hearts) but there are a couple of omissions and a couple of games that shouldn't be there (Mass Effect, and who puts Diamond/Pearl over Gold/Silver????), and the list has an unhealthy tendence to put too many WRPGs.
At least #1, while I don't fully agree, it's a game I'd put very high in my list

If you don't believe Mass effect deserves to be in the top 26, then I must immediately disregard your opinion on the topic.

I will restrain myself from questioning your mental faculties and sexual orientation.

It would seem that the reviews definition of "RPG" is simply being able to "collect items" or perhaps "gain a skill". This can include quite a broad list of games, and leave out many classical RPG traits in the process. Story, design, repeatability, character growth, etc etc.

No doubt, the broad scope of the article leaves very little conclusive thoughts, other than posting an article.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Arguments can be made that Mass Effect shouldn't be there. Personally, I think it should, but it would be near the bottom of my list. There are too many WRPGs that I prefer: Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, etc. Then you add in a smattering of JRPGs and you're damned near 25 games without ME.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/