By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 : the same old crappy gameplay with better visuals ?

Sorry for the rude title ;))

Metal Gear Solid 4 And The Over Hyped Blues
By Mike Torres

Well we've finally all gotten to witness MGS4 in action. The majority of the press is fully erect and sucking on the proverbial tit of Kojima's latest endeavor. This article is surely going to piss off many, and perhaps maybe even make a few of you think. In the end that's my goal as a writer. Always has been and always will be. You can hate it or love it, but at least you feel something about it.

MGS4 since it's initial showing has been hyped as the definition of what a next-gen game is supposed to be. The last in the Metal Gear Solid series was going to be a master piece that defined the PS3 and gave credence to it's high price tag. The problem with that from the beginning has been that the MGS franchise has from it's roots never been a mass market property. Fans of MGS are a loyal hardcore bunch to be sure, but while the series started out with much promise on the original PSone -- it then slowly teetered into a complicated exercise of military morals and symbolism for life, that to this day many are still trying to figure out. Just what the fuck was MSG2 about? MGS2 drove a lot of the casual fans of the series away and quickly became a series that was only truly enjoyed by hardcore fans that had become almost intimate with the lore of the game.

While at the time of the original PSone outing the game mechanics were novel and new, time has not been the kindest of friends to MGS's game-play. Again let me reiterate this is based on my own opinion and perhaps some of the more casual fans of the series. While stealth games have moved forward with the likes of the Splinter Cell and Thief series, the MGS franchise has stayed firmly rooted in it's original ideas. Which while fantastic and genre defining at the time, have grown a bit long in the tooth. Stealth fans are demanding more from this generation of games, which brings me to the main crux of this piece.

For all of it's beautiful visuals, solid musical scores and amazing production values; MGS4 is just another Metal Gear Solid game. With the hype train at full speed and no sign of slowdown in sight, I somehow feel as if many gamers have missed this. With this being the final outing for Solid Snake, myself and a lot of other gamers were expecting more... not more of the same. While MGS3 brought to life the camouflage system, it was a tedious affair that kept one micro-managing your outfit instead of focused on the game-play. The evolution of the camouflage system in MGS4 seems more of a step up than the revolution I believe many of us thought it was going to be. The idea of the Octosuit, which blends in with your surroundings is brilliant on paper and could easily be one of the most enjoyable parts of MGS4. But the tedium of going to the select screen to change your attire seems to be back again. While this may be sorted out by the final release of the game, it still feels like a small evolutionary step, than the revolutionary one we were promised. With the title being heralded as highly as it is, it seems to be too much of the same old same old; just with a fresh coat of shiny paint. This is something that is plaguing most next-gen games. Still with a title that has been hyped to hell and back, one would have expected much more. Some may bring up the fact that now one can play the entire game through a FPS view, or it's now GRAW inspired over the shoulder camera view when shooting. While these are notable additions to be sure, they do not significantly change the game-play. If anything playing through an MGS game solely in a first person mode, would surely result in breaking the proposed stealth playing style of the series.

MGS is a franchise that one does not just step into blindly, but it seems many new PS3 owners are doing just that. Out of the wood work we seem to have a burgeoning crowd of would be hardcore MGS gamers, who have little to no clue on the series roots. Blindly following the hype train on the title due to the simple fact that it's a PS3 exclusive. To further stress my point, MGS3 was a substantially lesser retail hit for the PS2 than it's previous effort in the franchise. While many new PS2 owners tried to jump into the long running series, it proved too much for some. The MGS world is not one that is easily accessible for newbies, featuring a winding and abstruse story line that is even difficult for fans of the series to get a hold of... it's just too much. I do not see MGS4 being an entry point of bringing any new gamers to the series. Sure, there's still going to be people purchasing it to justify the price point of their new fangled Blu-ray player, but with a new generation of gamers that are more prone to new, simplified experiences than anything...where does MGS4 fit in?

In the end, MGS4 is in many ways just an evolutionary step to the already established franchise. Still painstakingly living in a world of 20 minute cut-scenes, labyrinthine story telling and archaic game-play that while once fresh and new has grown stagnant and stale. While beautiful graphics will draw most gamers in, I find it rare the gamer that will reap anything truly new from what Kojima is once again bringing to the table. If you loved Metal Gear Solid and it's sequels than MGS4 is a sure fire bet for you. But for the rest of us who were hoping for something new, different and mind blowing to once again excite us about the franchise, it's just the same game with a new wrapper.

http://www.deeko.com/readfeature.asp?id=104

****************************************************************************************

huh, personnaly, since I m currently replaying MGS3 I understand what this guy is saying about the "same gameplay", "slow evolution".

I also understand his point about the complex story line (particularly MGS2).

But what about the NON-evolution in all the video game world ?

Fight game series are good examples (streetfighter/TEKKEN (lol)/ Soulcalibur/all the others)

In other hand, why make a new gameplay when people where happy with the old (good save/good review) ?

what do you think about MGS evolution ?

what do you think about video games SERIES evolution (FF/GT/MArio ect ...) ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Well, first, reviews are hardcore gamers, so they'll like it.

There is definatly some truth to it. I feel the the hype is a bit over rated, to the point where people think it can take on Halo. This game can't even take on Metrois Prime 3(a little much, but you know what I mean).

I enjoyed MGS:TS, but I think that he's right, their are better action games out thier, as well as better stelth games.

Title is extremely controversial.

As for MGS, I can't comment on the gameplay, because my only concern is the story.

However, if the graphics draw people in, then Konami wins.

I could say more, but I assume enough people will say enough things to cause a big debate.

Side note: I highly doubt it can take on Metroid Prime. The metroid series has done, at most, 2.5M WW, with the first game.

Smashchu said:
Well, first, reviews are hardcore gamers, so they'll like it.

There is definatly some truth to it. I feel the the hype is a bit over rated, to the point where people think it can take on Halo. This game can't even take on Metrois Prime 3(a little much, but you know what I mean).

I enjoyed MGS:TS, but I think that he's right, their are better action games out thier, as well as better stelth games.

Halo is overrated as the best game ever made by nearly everybody. Metroid is good but not that good, and mgs cant be compared cuz they are different in nearly every way. There are better game action games out there ofcourse. MGS4 hasnt come out yet so I wont talk about it much. The gameplay is a little different in this game.

mM
Around the Network

Im a big fan of the MGS seris to be honest. Ill be crying when I beat MGS4 since its the last MGS story wise

I just want to verify libellule, you're not Mike Torres, right?

What an ass to completely judged this game on a few clips! If he didn't like the last few games, why in farking hell would he like this one? What was he expecting?

@Smashchu, What better stealth games? Splinter Cell? That's very debatable and would likely come down to taste in the end. Of course there are better action games, this isn't an action game in essence, it's a sneaker(thanks Parokki)

MGS4 is just another Metal Gear Solid game

Try Splinter Cell,

Something that appear on Xbox and that will come to Xbox360 too.
It is more reallistic than MGS so I suppose some people prefer it.
But u will not found the incredible fight TheBoos/Snake ...

Try Tenchu
PS/PS2/Xbox360 (3rd episode episod)

Time to Work !

@vizunary,

I believe the beef of his complaint is that people are only going by the graphics, rather than the gameplay. Many have never played the series, but the graphics draw them in. Nothing wrong with that.... for Konami. 

P.S. I think that this title would more fit for Killzone.

Overall 73%(Gamerankings.com)
GameSpot-6.9
IGN-7.5

IGN said it best:
Hype did not influence this review. It did not grab this reviewer by the throat and force out an absurdly low or obscenely high score. Hype is not the master of our judgment. If anything, the mysterious entity of extremely positive expectation that floats around the Internet contaminating children might have influenced a reader of this review (or one of our early previews). There's even a chance you have bought into the hype and are now glancing over this justification of a 7.5 rating and wondering why Killzone is not the greatest thing ever -- thinking that 7.5 is somehow synonymous with awful. Hype will do its evil to the best of us.

What does Killzone2 have? Very good visuals. (Though not much more has been announced, this game has been hyped since 2005. Good for Sony, because people who never heard of Killzone are interested. However, all they seem to look at are the graphics. Is that bad? Not for Sony.)

@libellule, Splinter Cell is also available on the PS2 & 3, though the next installment looks to be exclusive for 360.

@MachinaAX, yes Tenchu is a pretty good one as well, but not exactly in the same vein as either SC or MGS.

@DonWii, maybe, but these kinda comments just totally irked me, I still think he's a d!ck!