By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hope Nintendo doesn't pull this crap again in 2009

RolStoppable said:
SaviorX said:
RolStoppable said:

But Japan doesn't really work as an example, because we have weekly hardware sales numbers displayed here on VGC. The other regions had software droughts as well, yet the Wii kept selling steady. It's really only Japan that is affected, but as oyvoyvoyv pointed out, it's normal for that country to have low hardware sales all around at this time of the year (the PS2 sold at similar patterns).

Furthermore you have to consider that the quality of third party support for the Wii is increasing, so it's less likely that the Wii will face a similar problem next year (which wasn't a problem in America and Europe anyway).

Regarding the worthwile releases: If you make a blanket statement like "no worthwile releases for six months" while there have been some good games, you have to expect people to call you out on that, because what you said is only an opinion and not a fact.

Bolded: I could've chosen a better choice of words, but I hope you get what I meant. It is like what johnsobas said. If for example Ninty was to release StarFox, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, and Hybrid Heaven 2 next year. They drop Starfox in Jan, Kid Icarus in March, Release Hybrid Heaven 2 in May then leave Pilotwings for November...with nothing else proceeding HH2. I hope they don't do that again.

They've adopted a philosophy of keeping their cards to their chest, so I wouldn't mind not hearing about a Pilotwings
if it is going to come in November. I'd hate to wait 5 months for something like that to release.

Italicized: The 3rd party support will be there; I am FULLY aware of that glorious fact. It won't seem so bad with that around. I just hope it doesn't happen again, that's all.

I got what you meant, that's why I listed games like Wario Land and Disaster in one of my earlier posts which were all released during the period you said that there was nothing. Btw, Hybrid Heaven is a Konami game.

@trestres

At this point it becomes really hard to talk to you without making harsh personal attacks, so let me just ask a simple question: Did you buy Wario Land yet?

I know, but I was running out of old N64 games to talk about lol. Excluding Kid Icarus.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I have several problems with your argument, SaviorX, but the one that's really bugging me is that you're advocating that Nintendo deliberately delay some of its games so that the calendar doesn't "feel" as empty.

Me, I'd rather have the option to play the game NOW, and if I don't want to have too many Nintendo games in a short timespan then I delay buying one or two of those games until later in the year. I call that a win-win. Not being able to play Kart until August/September because Brawl came out in March? Not my idea of a good move.

@Rol: I rather spend money on AC:CF, which is the last "core" game announced for the next 6 months. I like that franchise very much, I hope the game turns out great like the previous one.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

noname2200 said:
I have several problems with your argument, SaviorX, but the one that's really bugging me is that you're advocating that Nintendo deliberately delay some of its games so that the calendar doesn't "feel" as empty.

Me, I'd rather have the option to play the game NOW, and if I don't want to have too many Nintendo games in a short timespan then I delay buying one or two of those games until later in the year. I call that a win-win. Not being able to play Kart until August/September because Brawl came out in March? Not my idea of a good move.

I can understand where you are coming from, but that is where Nintendo's announcement strategy comes in. What we do not know is being released doesn't hurt us. I haven't heard of a WWE No Mercy 2 coming out, so I'm not upset of it not being released any time soon.

You said yourself (I know, cherry picking) that you would hold off buying it anyways if the release schedule was stacked, so if we have 2-3 months between games, there shouldn't be as much discontent in a delay.

What other problems do you have? You said you have several.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Ok. I am Shigero Miyamoto. I've been posting under this alias for a while. I think you have a point, and will implement it as soon as you, in your infinite wisdom tell me how.

Should Nintendo

Finish games when they would be finished, and then sit on them for a few months to give our year a nice sense of symmetry

Or

Fire the mario team, use the money we saved here to employ some extra managers to tour of facilities, and perform acts of industrial saboutage to make sure the games finish when they should.

Honestly saviour. Nintendo in 08 produced some of the best games ever, and you choose to knock them down because they released the core titles in the first half year and the extended audience titles in the 2nd? You are really spoiled. I assume you were an only child?

Around the Network

Any more Gamcube or PS2 ports coming to Wii in 2009?

@rol: Why would I have to spend money on a game that I don't feel like buying now? The truth is that in between Nov 08 and April - July 09 there's only 1 1st party game being released, that is Wii Sports Resort. No matter how hard you try to make it look better, you won't be able to do so.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

scottie said:
Ok. I am Shigero Miyamoto. I've been posting under this alias for a while. I think you have a point, and will implement it as soon as you, in your infinite wisdom tell me how.

Should Nintendo

Finish games when they would be finished, and then sit on them for a few months to give our year a nice sense of symmetry

Or

Fire the mario team, use the money we saved here to employ some extra managers to tour of facilities, and perform acts of industrial saboutage to make sure the games finish when they should.

Honestly saviour. Nintendo in 08 produced some of the best games ever, and you choose to knock them down because they released the core titles in the first half year and the extended audience titles in the 2nd? You are really spoiled. I assume you were an only child?

Oh geez. I'm not knocking Nintendo. Ask anybody who's aware of my post history, I've been doing nothing but "building them up" for months. However, after reading The Source's weekly previews, often times he mentioned that software kept Wii HW sales lower than unusal in Japan. And I noticed after MKWii's release, there hasn't been a big Nintendo game in months. I think the year should have some symmetry, yea but I don't know about all that firing talk.

Why the personal insults? How am I spoiled? I never requested a game. I'm just saying how (I think, I THINK) they should be dispersed through time.

And no, I am not an only child. I have two brothers and a younger sister, and a cat. Middle class with a good family.

that's not a suprise i still don't get why people are even buying wii's anymore, i don't see 1 worthwhile title that is making me wanna waste $269.99 for......i mean you could play gears 2 on a 360 for $199.99 this christmas. i don't trust the 360's lifespan but it has more of a value to it than wii.

SaviorX said:
noname2200 said:

I can understand where you are coming from, but that is where Nintendo's announcement strategy comes in. What we do not know is being released doesn't hurt us. I haven't heard of a WWE No Mercy 2 coming out, so I'm not upset of it not being released any time soon.

You said yourself (I know, cherry picking) that you would hold off buying it anyways if the release schedule was stacked, so if we have 2-3 months between games, there shouldn't be as much discontent in a delay.

What other problems do you have? You said you have several.

Before I move on to the others, I'd like to clarify this one a bit more. I was too ambiguous in what I wrote (sorry about that). I didn't mean that I would hold off on buying if the games were released too close together, but that if I had enough Nintendo games to play in a certain timespan then I'd hold off on buying more.

It's kind of a subtle difference, and I know I'm not explaining it as well as I should, but the gist of it is that if Nintendo unloaded all its games on the same day, I wouldn't buy them all at once because I wouldn't have the time to go through all of them so quickly. But I WOULD be happy that they'd done so, as it allows me to pick and choose which game I want to play first, second, third, etc. I'd much prefer having the option available, and not having anything else come out later, then to have to wait on Nintendo's convenience, just because they want to pad the calendar a bit.

The other big problem I have is what Rol's getting at; the OP was kind of confusing in what it meant (kettle, meet pot...) I, too, read it as talking about Japan rather than the whole world. But if Japan's only being cited as an example, it's a flawed one, for reasons Rol and Oyvoyvovy stated. Heck, the Wii's about on par with what the PS2 was doing at the same timeperiod, a feat made all the more impressive when you realize that the demographics have shifted dramatically in Japan since the start of the millenium.

To make matters worse, the titles that are moving hardware the most are titles that keep moving hardware as times passes, i.e. Nintendo's "evergreens." It may have been a year since Wii Fit released in Japan, for instance, but it's still moving hardware. Wii Sports is doing the same here in the West, two years after launch. From the hardware-selling perspective, Nintendo doesn't have to come out with something new every other month to do well. Granted, that may change after the bridge period is finished...

The other problem has also been addressed, primarily by Rol. What's a "worthwhile release"? I think Wario Land counts, as does Super Sluggers. Demonstrably, you disagree. We've now reached a stalemate. It'd have been better if you wrote that Nintendo can't let such a long period go by without releasing a "major title," but even that has a subjective portion.

Enough of my ranting for now.