By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic find Gears 2 reviews “humbling”

Khuutra said:
That is a long post that doesn't say a lot.

Mike Capps made the statement, not Cliff B.

“It’s really humbling to see such great review scores coming in so far, and we’re glad that reviewers have been excited about the many changes we’ve made in the sequel,” he told CVG.

When something positive is humbling, it means that it's far and above what you were expecting. This is not hard to draw from context.

Tell me how you got that from the title. Because that is what I've been talking about this whole time. Does someone need to slap you with a trout?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

“It’s really humbling to see such great review scores coming in so far, and we’re glad that reviewers have been excited about the many changes we’ve made in the sequel,” he told CVG.

When something positive is humbling, it means that it's far and above what you were expecting. This is not hard to draw from context.

Tell me how you got that from the title. Because that is what I've been talking about this whole time. Does someone need to slap you with a trout?

I would suggest, next time, that you simply read the OP.

Amazing, I can't wait to play it.

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

@bubbles, it feels more like the gracious in praise type of humbled. you see this a lot in retiring pro-sports player, actors winning awards, politicians, and other things like that.

its very interesting to see so many people interpret this differently. english is a strange language, which although common through out the world, has such regional phrases and renaming of things that those unfamiliar may find themselves confused. to have some fun go to somewhere like shanghai where english is taught heavily by different speakers of the language and listen to people converse the mash up is amazing. ill also say i think the chinese speak the queens english better than native sons of england... well the chinese women ive met anyway.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
@bubbles, it feels more like the gracious in praise type of humbled. you see this a lot in retiring pro-sports player, actors winning awards, politicians, and other things like that.

its very interesting to see so many people interpret this differently. english is a strange language, which although common through out the world, has such regional phrases and renaming of things that those unfamiliar may find themselves confused. to have some fun go to somewhere like shanghai where english is taught heavily by different speakers of the language and listen to people converse the mash up is amazing. ill also say i think the chinese speak the queens english better than native sons of england... well the chinese women ive met anyway.

Agree. I don't see how some people can interpret it so differently when right after he refers to "such great review scores coming in so far".  Basic reading comprehension would make it fairly obvious that he meant the term as a form of praise.  But if people want to continue to read more into then more power to them.  Just seems like something completely silly to be trying to make a point about.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network
Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

I would suggest, next time, that you and jasoncc realize that we are talking about the title. Within the context the title implies bad reviews because of natural tendancy to take that phrase as negative. It is a linguistic thing. I know that words have different meanings but sometimes there is such a predominant meaning that supercedes the other psychologically.

In takes context in order to derive this secondary meaning sometimes, and that is why when I came in I said to myself "huh, it got good reviews after all".

The phrase was said twice. Once in the OP with one context, and once in the body of the OP within another context. If you cannot understand the concept of context then there is nothing I can do for you. You are so focused right now on proving that 'humbled' can mean 'thankful' that you aren't even reading what I'm trying to say, and you are automatically assuming that I'm trying to tell you wrong.

Unfortunately, this will be the fifth time I say this. "I was talking about the TITLE" I know it may sound confusing given such big words as 'talking' and 'TITLE'. (which in this case means the heading, and not the 'championship')

what is more annoying though is to have someone come in here and tell me that I'm actually trying to troll this thread. Me saying "the title didn't match the body", is actually something I said because I hate 360 with a passion.

theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

I would suggest, next time, that you and jasoncc realize that we are talking about the title. Within the context the title implies bad reviews because of natural tendancy to take that phrase as negative. It is a linguistic thing. I know that words have different meanings but sometimes there is such a predominant meaning that supercedes the other psychologically.

In takes context in order to derive this secondary meaning sometimes, and that is why when I came in I said to myself "huh, it got good reviews after all".

The phrase was said twice. Once in the OP with one context, and once in the body of the OP within another context. If you cannot understand the concept of context then there is nothing I can do for you. You are so focused right now on proving that 'humbled' can mean 'thankful' that you aren't even reading what I'm trying to say, and you are automatically assuming that I'm trying to tell you wrong.

Unfortunately, this will be the fifth time I say this. "I was talking about the TITLE" I know it may sound confusing given such big words as 'talking' and 'TITLE'. (which in this case means the heading, and not the 'championship')

I think the meaning of the title changes dependent upon how aware you are of reviews already out there. if you know they were good then you should have the reasoning to make an assumption that he means he feels honored 

or do you view everything through a vacuum 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

theprof00 said:
MrBubbles said:
theprof00 said:

Wouldn't it imply bad reviews?

the use would imply that they believed it should have been a much higher score and they have been put in their place.  possibly even ashamed of their work.

so i think what we should conclude from this is that Mike Capps is an idiot.

yeah that's how i read it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's an idiot.

Oh my. Very sad statements. First start to understand proper english, including the context words are used in. Then come back to these forums.

Comments like these are disgusting.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

goddog said:
theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

I think the meaning of the title changes dependent upon how aware you are of reviews already out there. if you know they were good then you should have the reasoning to make an assumption that he means he feels honored 

or do you view everything through a vacuum 

I've already explained that I didn't know the scores yet.  I guess that's a very difficult thing to understand.

As for the unintelligible "vacuum" reference, I'll assume you meant to ask if I was a pessimist. Because if I didn't know the scores, the correct usage of that 'turn of phrase' would be "or do you live in a vacuum". Which would make you stupid, so I will assume you were alluding to some strange phrase you and your friends made up about being pessimistic. In which case I would say "I already explained the effects of superceding definitions" in that most words have two definitions but one of them is usually so dominant that you might never hear the second definition.

Fun fact: some words have secondary definitions that are even opposite of what the primary definition is! But you knew that already because your not an idiot.