By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto's Mistake and what it'll cost the Wii

I don't know ...

Wii Music, like Electroplankton before it, seems to be one of Miyamoto's attempts to produce a "Game" which captures the enjoyment of creating music. Wii music appears to be inexpensive enough that it should be very profitable, and it is another step towards Miyamoto's goal, so I'm not sure it is a "Mistake"

Around the Network

now you wii fans know how it felt when everyone started calling LBP a failure last week cus of NA sales.

I will give a similar opinion....WAIT....Wii Music can have brilliant legs!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Too early to call Wii Music a flop?

I love to see how people bash RB/GH for being accesible, that it doesnt take skill and if u suck it doesnt affect the music, well I tell u it does, maybe u havent seen newbs play these games, makes the game sound aweful. And know u sing, I think thats musical enough, and if u suck, the game tells u. Of course u can change dificulty, that makes the game more accesible, and thats a feature every game should have.
Im going to finish saying that maybe RB/GH deserve to do better because they are better games, and reviews have said so so far.

jlauro said:
Without knowing how much it cost to develop wii music, it's hard to even say what's a failure, much less to be able to tell this soon.

Many games are a success at 100,000 copies, and others are lucky to break even with 10x that amount.

Nintendo has enough great sells they can afford to have a single game fail. It's not like they are a small developer where they put 80% of their resources into it.

How much did it cost Nintendo to manufacture the many thousands of overstocked copies sat on Japanese store shelves?

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
I love to see how people bash RB/GH for being accesible, that it doesnt take skill and if u suck it doesnt affect the music, well I tell u it does, maybe u havent seen newbs play these games, makes the game sound aweful. And know u sing, I think thats musical enough, and if u suck, the game tells u. Of course u can change dificulty, that makes the game more accesible, and thats a feature every game should have.
Im going to finish saying that maybe RB/GH deserve to do better because they are better games, and reviews have said so so far.

I don't think that anybody is bashing Rock Band or Guitar Hero for being accessible. Accessiblity of play is a major advantage of those franchises and a big factor in their massive success. It's just ironic that the Wii franchise entry in the music genre is less accessible than these established music franchises.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Hahah Ironic... a game that people and reviewers hype as casual... actually not selling well because it's too "hardcore" for most peolple to play.

An interesting yet awesome theory.

HappySqurriel said:

I don't know ...

Wii Music, like Electroplankton before it, seems to be one of Miyamoto's attempts to produce a "Game" which captures the enjoyment of creating music. Wii music appears to be inexpensive enough that it should be very profitable, and it is another step towards Miyamoto's goal, so I'm not sure it is a "Mistake"

What did Electroplankton have to do with Miyamoto?

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
jlauro said:
Without knowing how much it cost to develop wii music, it's hard to even say what's a failure, much less to be able to tell this soon.

Many games are a success at 100,000 copies, and others are lucky to break even with 10x that amount.

Nintendo has enough great sells they can afford to have a single game fail. It's not like they are a small developer where they put 80% of their resources into it.

How much did it cost Nintendo to manufacture the many thousands of overstocked copies sat on Japanese store shelves?

Probably not as much as Nintendo is going to make when thousands buy those copies.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

No comment. How "Wii Music" has "failed" - is beyond me. Remember that Nintendo makes money off SHIPMENT sales - not RETAIL sales.

And I would say its already got close to shipping 1m units worldwide. And for a full priced game, with no controllers included - Ninty will be making a solid $20US-$30US "profit" per unit - meaning approx $25m in their pockets already.

Even if the game cost $5m to make - and that might be doubtful - that's a $20m US profit *already*.

By the time the Wii stops selling, WiiMusic will have made Ninty a cool $60-100m in profit - if not more.

Its the perception that things like this are "failures" that keeps Ninty laughing all the way to the bank - while EA/Sony (etc) rack up hundreds of millions of losses per qrt.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099