By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Gears 2 The New Benchmark For Video Games?

SolidSnitch said:
Gears to me when it came out was a unique game, the gameplay was so original and unique that it sets it apart from other games like your generic FPS, the environment and the feel of the game made it something that I've truly enjoyed playing and I believe that in pure fun factor gears was the most fun I had in any games out there to this date.
Gears2 if it delivers to bring this to a higher level will be just absolutely amazing, I just can't wait.
The story line is certainly not the best, like the Mario game when it came out lol, but the gameplay did put them in a class apart from other games from there respective generation.

The games narrative was much more about character development and its themes centered on brotherhood in the face of insurmountable odds. The story was non-existant, but I thought it had some of the most endearing characters I've encountered in an action game.

Hearing Marcus say "ahhh nuts!" when he failed a reload, just make me realize how much I like his character.

An innovation of the first Gears was the active reload system.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

ZenfoldorVGI, sorry but i read the header and the words "the benchmark" were used. Right now i think the benchmark for FPS is COD4, it got more people playing, for longer than any other shooter this gen. If Gears sells similar numbers and its pre owned price holds because no one trades it in (COD4) with players raving about it being the best online experience then yea its the bench mark. Just drives me crazy seeing people say yea this is the bench mark when they haven't even played the game.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

I would have to decline that Gears 2 is a benchmark/standard in terms of graphics for all game Developers to look at.

Yes, the graphics are amazing, I'm not saying that. But, not everyone likes that type of "art style".

Take MGS4, the art style used in it is much different than Gears 2. They both look amazing in their own way.

That;s my 2 cents;

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

A bechmark for video games in general, no.

A benchmark XBOX 360 games, or FPS games in genertal, that is very possible.

Though I don't own a 360, so I can't make the final judgement.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

LBP has a higher average review...

I am going to wait until I play it to decide

Around the Network

Outside of Halo, this is the 360's largest franchise and in that alone, it IS the benchmark that other platforms would measure themselves up against.

Hell game isn't even officially out yet and there have been a million threads about how R2 or KZ2 are going to beat it graphically, etc.

So the real question I think is, is this game deserving of this status? The high volume of extremely positive reviews would suggest that indeed, it is.

RPG_Fanatic said:
A bechmark for video games in general, no.

A benchmark XBOX 360 games, or FPS games in genertal, that is very possible.

Though I don't own a 360, so I can't make the final judgement.

This isn't a FPS, FYI, nor should it be compared to one.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

joshin69 said:
ZenfoldorVGI, sorry but i read the header and the words "the benchmark" were used. Right now i think the benchmark for FPS is COD4, it got more people playing, for longer than any other shooter this gen. If Gears sells similar numbers and its pre owned price holds because no one trades it in (COD4) with players raving about it being the best online experience then yea its the bench mark. Just drives me crazy seeing people say yea this is the bench mark when they haven't even played the game.

You'd be surprised who has already played this.

Anyway, again, it's not a First Person Shooter. You know that right? It's a TPS. Max Payne, Gears, RE4. These games are amazing in that genre. RE5 copies directly from Gears 1.

The games I've mentioned are benchmarks for TPS. The benchmarks.

G2 might set several benchmarks, but if you're asking if it is "the benchmark," and could make that list, we won't be able to know for a few years.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

Damn, lol, Gamespy out the back with the 3 pointer.

Interesting comments.

NO NO, NO NO NO.