By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Gears 2 The New Benchmark For Video Games?

KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

So:

We have Crysis

Obvious

We have MGS4, as IGN said:

"All of these features contribute to an excellent gameplay experience, but additionally striking are its visuals, which make MGS4 one of the best looking titles to date in gaming history. It's apparent that Guns of the Patriots squeezes every pixel possible out of the PS3 and renders them beautifully. As a result, players are witnesses to one of the finest games ever created on any console or PC.

And finally we hace Gears of War 2,

"Fantastic looking characters inhabit splendid worlds that feel truly alive. You?d be hard pressed to find a better looking game anywhere. Now if only they could fix the texture and framerate issues"

So...being a Sony Fanboy, I really think that every console wins....I mean...as much you hate Sony...they have MGS4...and viceversa...XBOX360 have Gears of War2....

tomorrow I getting my neighbours x360 and rent Gears of war...I need to see this game in action...

Around the Network

New benchmark for Shooters? Probably.
New benchmark for video games? NO Not unless you only play shooters and care about shooters.

Afterman said:

So...being a Sony Fanboy, I really think that every console wins....I mean...as much you hate Sony...they have MGS4...and viceversa...XBOX360 have Gears of War2....

tomorrow I getting my neighbours x360 and rent Gears of war...I need to see this game in action...

Beware, in the future you might not have a sentimental attachment to the sony brand anymore and rather think about the console makers as greedy-corporations that better fight hard for your hard-earned dollars. Gimme a sec, I think I had a red pill somewhere...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

i don't know how many peoples gears 2 can hold on multi player but am pretty sure it won't be near the 60 (insane) peoples that R2 offer, there's even a 8 player coop and since for me the more the merrier i think R2 will be the new benchmark and also graphically gears doesn't look so good compared to crysis and crysis is getting old

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

R2 is good, but not as great as Gears 2
Gears 2 is New benchmark!!

Around the Network
chapset said:
i don't know how many peoples gears 2 can hold on multi player but am pretty sure it won't be near the 60 (insane) peoples that R2 offer, there's even a 8 player coop and since for me the more the merrier i think R2 will be the new benchmark and also graphically gears doesn't look so good compared to crysis and crysis is getting old

Well, they are two different genres and "60 man multiplayer" is a bullet point that apparently isn't as good as it sounds, which is saying a lot because you should realize it sounds like an un-fun clusterf%$k. There in no reason, ever, that so many people need to be on the same map. Multiplayer is about balance, not consistant and repetitious death, with no skill involved, trying to run past 30 enemy guns in a camped position.

Now, yes, I'm making an assumption about R2, but in reality...how is "as many people as we can fit on the screen" a good thing for multiplayer, instead of a bad thing? That idea was poorly concieved.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It will be a benchmark for the atmosphere it has
It may not have the best gameplay,...etc, but when you play this game you get pumped and excited which no other game has done so far.

http://www.youtube.com/sweetlamakidsenior .....SSBB, Gears, GTA vids

Sweetlamakid got banned so it's now sweetlamakidsenior

"Good games come and go, but Gears is forever"

sweetlamakid said:
It will be a benchmark for the atmosphere it has
It may not have the best gameplay,...etc, but when you play this game you get pumped and excited which no other game has done so far.

I agree with that.

Zucas said:
Absolutely not. Personally I still think the benchmark for shooters is Half Life 2 because I have yet to see something even come close to it. Aside from Metroid Prime but it's hard to relate the 2. Point being its hard to be a benchmark setter when you still can't set it past the best.

And as for all videogames that is simply laughable. How do you compare benchmarks for cross genres. Gears 2 is a benchmark for nothing other than showing that Epic could improve upon Gears 1 greatly showing just how simplistic the first was. I credit Epic for being able to improve on the first so much and not just give us a rehash.

Finally someone mentioning half-life 2 I'm happy with you :D

Also people ever heard of portal? That game sets a benchmark for me to be honest.

PSN ID: clemens-nl