By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why You Can't Blame Reggie If "Disaster: DoC" Doesn't Make it to the US

DKII said:
Disaster and Fatal Frame are mediocre at best. Don't forget that games with lots of text and/or voice acting require a much bigger localization budget than something like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, too.

I would ask if you have played these two titles (I'm assuming you have). Are they mediocre games compared to Nintendo's 1st party titles or are they just boring to play? Famitsu gave Disaster a solid 8 so I assume it is great. Not awesome, but enjoyable to play. If 8 is mediocre now......

Now that I think about, if it required effort to sell games, what is the point of making a friggin videogame in the first place? All I've been hearing nowadays is "it takes too much effort to do this, no reason to do that." Stop making videogames if you don't want to put in the effort required for them to be successful. If they are GUARANTEED to be unprofitable, don't release them, or cancel them during development.

As for Wii games, I doubt that a title like Wii Music cost more than $10 million to make, and I heard somewhere that Wii Sports took 6 months to make...........I don't know where I'm going with this, but I know they made back the money put into their release. Maybe Disaster and Fatal Frame could do the same. I thought Ninty was all about risk this gen. I guess after the success came, that went out the window. Not that that isn't a smart thing to do, but how much could they possibly lose with ALL these titles they haven't localized? 

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

http://gonintendo.com/?p=61779

Good comments!

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Onyxmeth said:
woopah said:
maybe we could ask them why they are doing this

4820 150th Ave. Northeast
Redmond, WA 98052

Make sure to ring the buzzer so they let you in. Let us know how it goes.

I actually wrote two letters to NOA back in grade school for an assignment.  I actually got real responses to both letters.  It never hurts to ask.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Ok that sucks, I want to play that game =(

Come on europeans! please buy it! I don't is THAT bad! If you don't like it you can always trade it later. Please gave us a chance *sniffs*

I have to admit that some people are REALLY going overboard about this; I don't blame them, but it should be noted that this was only the first week of sales. I know Reggie said we'd get DISASTER if sales in Europe were good, but have they officially announced that they canceled its U.S. release yet? No. That said, it is very unfortunate that it's underperforming like this, and even more shocking that NoA is being iffy about bringing this one to America, especially when DISASTER is OBVIOUSLY shaped like, hey, a major blockbuster movie in America.

Disheartening though this is, the real proof, I think, is if Nintendo gives the actual announcement of whether its canned or not, which they have not at this time, so I don't know if we should "jump the gun" just yet.

Around the Network
JTurner82 said:
I have to admit that some people are REALLY going overboard about this; I don't blame them, but it should be noted that this was only the first week of sales. I know Reggie said we'd get DISASTER if sales in Europe were good, but have they officially announced that they canceled its U.S. release yet? No. That said, it is very unfortunate that it's underperforming like this, and even more shocking that NoA is being iffy about bringing this one to America, especially when DISASTER is OBVIOUSLY shaped like, hey, a major blockbuster movie in America.

Disheartening though this is, the real proof, I think, is if Nintendo gives the actual announcement of whether its canned or not, which they have not at this time, so I don't know if we should "jump the gun" just yet.

Damn I hope you're right. I hope that sales imporve and they decide to give it a try T_T

Maybe not, but I can still Blame Wii Fit.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Bobbuffalo said:
JTurner82 said:

Damn I hope you're right. I hope that sales imporve and they decide to give it a try T_T

Actually, I'm only trying to dissuade some of the more EMO posters around here from jumping the gun, although I really don't know anymore than you do about any possible release.  Who knows if it'll come or not?  That said, you can't always trust executives on their words all the time.

-Jon T.

I am very very surprised the game did not appear to chart in Europe.
That means -- according to VGChartz -- that it sold less than 7300 units.

Since the audio would have to be redone (I have read somewhere -- and I can't remember where so there is no link -- that too much curse words to get anything but an M rating in the current English track), localization would mean some cost. And if the game is not going to sell, NOA will not do it.

There is a market for core games on the Wii. While there were some good comments on the Gonintendo Board (linked to by trestres) -- all of the games that someone said were not on NOA's release schedule are third-party games that will be released in the first six months of 2009 in NA/US. Many of them will be by Sega, which is slowly becoming the core publisher of choice on the Wii.

I just think after NOA's experience with Giest, it is very gun-shy about M-rated IPs.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The game isn't even being tracked in Europe, just go to the Other's weekly charts and select Publisher --> Nintendo.

What's the problem with this game being rated M? dunno if it's or not.
Sorry but it seems that you are making up excuses for Nintendo, just let them appologize, they know how to do it. As for me, I have already lost faith in Nintendo of America, I simply don't expect anything more than Wii Sports: Resort in the future, since Reggie is afraid of releasing a game where a guy says "shit".

If Nintendo wants to focus solely on casuals, let them, but they have to remember that core gamers and longtime Nintendo fans are the ones who buy the most software. If they lose those audiences (Already happening) then they will be in a very big risk, as not all of their casual games sell extraordinarily (Wii Music selling decently, the game bundled with a pedometer boming catastrophically in Japan this week)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies