By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN reviews Gears of War 2....9.5

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/926/926305p6.html

Closing Comments
If you haven’t figured it out by now, Gears of War 2 is what’s going to sell Xbox 360s this holiday season. It has non-stop action, fresh gameplay, varied environments, an engrossing storyline, multiplayer that will have people busy for years to come, and some of the nastiest and coolest kills I’ve seen in a videogame. It has its flaws when it comes to the technical side of multiplayer and the last act of the campaign and the voice acting might turn some off. Still, none of that comes close to holding back Gears of War 2 from its destiny: being one of the best games available on the Xbox 360.

IGN Ratings for Gears of War 2 (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
The menus are very reminiscent of the original but the story is handed to the player in an entirely new way. Gears 2 stays at a very high quality throughout. New kill cams are very cool.
9.5 Graphics
Fantastic looking characters inhabit splendid worlds that feel truly alive. You’d be hard pressed to find a better looking game anywhere. Now if only they could fix the texture and framerate issues.
9.0 Sound
The sound effects bring you into the action perfectly and Jablonsky delivered on the score in a big way. Voice acting could use some work.
9.5 Gameplay
Some of the purest fun you’ll have. Instant gratification starts at level one and never lets up. It’s familiar for veterans of the first but throws in plenty to legitimize itself.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Supposing they can fix the few multiplayer issues, there’s nothing stopping Gears 2 from ruling Xbox Live for some time to come. The photo mode is a great addition, too.
Incredible
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Yes, the same score as R2, let the discussion begin (personally I couldn't care less about either game)

Around the Network

I have never played Resistance :P

^@OP

Don't know what you're missing my friend. I played the original GoW and the R2 beta an I must say both are very fun... This is one game that makes me want to buy a 360.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

taxman said:
^@OP

Don't know what you're missing my friend. I played the original GoW and the R2 beta an I must say both are very fun... This is one game that makes me want to buy a 360.

Maybe, but I hate shooters

Oh no, the same score as Resistance 2? Look out for the uproar of debate!

But seriously, good scores for each game. Too bad people have to use them as competition rather than entertainment.

Around the Network

5/5 at giantbomb.com too.

"Gears of War 2 intelligently builds on the successes of the first game, resulting in an immensely appealing sequel that is better in almost every way."

good score. now we have 2 AAA shooters going head-to-head.

If you want good new games this Christmas, you can't go wrong with either HD console (or both)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Exactly what I expected. I really do feel sorry for the poor folk who can't play both Gears 2 and Resistance 2.

Watch IGN's video review. It'll really get you in the mood to squash some Locusts!

Another AAA game, 9.5 awesome!!