By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forever Blue (Endless Ocean) - scores (35/40) in Famitsu

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:
http://www.gamebrink.com/news/1045-Famitsu_Scores_for_the_Week_of_07262007.html

Yup. Forever Blue and Minna No Golf 5 got the same score.
They are both good Casual Games.

One is a casual-ish golf game and the other is a scuba diving sim....

I agree with Ck. Lumping every casual game in to the same genre of "casual" isn't going to work anymore, especially as the gaming space and development explodes in that area. In a few years, lumping all these games in to a single "casual" genre won't be much siller than making a single "hardcore" genre, then listing Sims, Card Games, Brain Games, Cooking Games, Surgery Games (Trauma Center is good, by the way) etc. as distinct genres.

Also, didn't we just get done with a HSG5 thread where everyone proclaimed that Famitsu doesn't know what it's talking about? Why do I see no complaints, and even a few compliments in this thread? Bias I say!

I personally love the idea of Forever Blue. If it's anything like the Afrika concepts, I will be all over this.

I was just going by the way that everyone around here labels gamers, in the 2 categories.

I prefer dividing it up to casual, mainstream, non-game, and core games.

Around the Network

Whats the gameplay about ?

What do you do in that game, whats the plot the purpose ?

Nonquihote said:

Kill every animal that gives you a dirty look.  Then harvest them for money and buy a yacht!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Nonquihote said:

Kill every animal that gives you a dirty look. Then harvest them for money and buy a yacht!

I saw the gameplay footage, and it looked more like you rub fish to find out if they are witches.

you guys have it all wrong, this game will be released in NA by Ubisoft under the title Diverz. The point of the game is to play with your virtual scuba diver and teach him to do tricks!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Japanese people have very japanese tastes. For example, they love Gundam, and the west dislikes Gundam. I would like to see Famitsu scores for things like GTA, Manhunt, etc... things that the americans are suposes to like.

Just an example. (I love Gundam :D)

fazz said:
Japanese people have very japanese tastes. For example, they love Gundam, and the west dislikes Gundam. I would like to see Famitsu scores for things like GTA, Manhunt, etc... things that the americans are suposes to like.

Just an example. (I love Gundam :D)

Didn't Halo 1 score 36 or 37? San Andreas also got a good score from memory...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Here are some comments I just found on the game:

http://aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=15515

Famitsu falls for Forever Blue  

Nintendo's scuba diving game for Wii impresses Japanese gaming mag, Famitsu.

July 25, 2007 - Forever Blue, one of Nintendo's upcoming under-the-radar Wii games, is set to make its splash in Japan next week, and respected gaming magazine, Famitsu, has published its review in its latest edition.

The four reviewers each rated the game 10/8/9/8, and according to translations, they explained that it's a clever production that totally sucks you in. They wrote that it feels a little like a simulation, allowing you to explore areas gradually, and they added that with just a change of the camera view, you can quite literally get lost at sea.

Steve Irwin, anyone?

It sounds as though it's a quite open-ended experience, with Famitsu explaining that you can hunt down the aquatic life as much as you want, or opt to go looking for events. They continued, adding that there's lots to do, and that you're able to progress at your own pace.

Like ExciteTruck before it, you'll be able to play your own custom music tracks, but Famitsu wrote that the mysterious default music makes the game feel very real. They concluded that the production is great and that you feel the mystery and magnificence of the ocean.

The game's been dubbed Endless Ocean for the North American market, but considering we're usually given the European treatment Down Under, it'll still go by the Japanese name of Forever Blue in Oz.

By Captain   

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Famitsu was originally founded by ASCII and then later went under the management of Enterbrain that was in a legal dispute with Nintendo over the issue of copyright infringement of Fire Emblem. Because of this conflicting interest, Famitsu was somewhat biased against Nintendo and naturally became closer to Sony.

But these days, probably after the release of Wii, Famitsu has become less biased against Nintendo. But that's just my guess. Game magazines in Japan are more or less under the influence of big publishers and they are rarely impartial. The whole mainstream mass-media in Japan is a piece of shiat for that matter.

Another thing, the way these Famitsu reviewers review games are very impressionistic and doesn't seem to have rigorous criteria. Unprofessional so to speak. It always has been like this since the mid-1980s when I first read it.

Forever Blue is probably an excellent game, nonetheless.
I just don't base my opinion on Famitsu, however.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann