By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dsi Western Launch

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20906

Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata has implied that the Nintendo DSi portable will be released in the West before the autumn of next year.

The second major revision of the best-selling portable, the DSi was unveiled at a special Japanese press conference in October and includes two 0.3 megapixel cameras, larger screens and is 12 percent thinner.

The new model also features a SD card slot instead of a Game Boy Advance port, and is able to download online titles and play music in the AAC format.

The DSi will launch in Japan on November 1st, where the existing DS Lite model has experienced a downturn in sales over the last year.

With sales still buoyant in the West, though, Nintendo has been vague about its release elsewhere, with a European launch implied to be scheduled for the spring and an American debut not until “well into 2009".

However, speaking at a recent press conference, Iwata was quoted by Reuters as saying: “Specific plans will be unveiled by our local subsidiaries, but an autumn or year-end launch would probably be too late."

The company has shipped 200,000 units of the DSi for its launch in Japan, and plans to ship an extra 100,000 for the following week.

Fall of 09 this should be interesting. Will this make the DS sell more then it already dose?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network

also they shipped 200k units for the Japan Launch

200k is a little low I think....

Very low. And also, a year? That's too long.

ganondorf7799 said:
200k is a little low I think....

yeah an only 100k more the next week ? =(

Around the Network

That's a long time to wait... >

That's too long.. I need it now.
(>'.')>

NEXT YEAR?

ffs

crap only 200k ... why do they always do that, this will mean shortages far into next year

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Later than March is too late