By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - OMG... the Economist endorses Obama.

Did anyone else notice the "Global Electoral College" link in the article?

While I think Obama is more popular in the world than McCain, I can never trust those things. The two I have seen both have Obama winning in the US like 80-20 or 90-10. It seems like conservatives don't use the internet as much. Or they just don't vote in pointless online polls.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Did anyone else notice the "Global Electoral College" link in the article?

While I think Obama is more popular in the world than McCain, I can never trust those things. The two I have seen both have Obama winning in the US like 80-20 or 90-10. It seems like conservatives don't use the internet as much. Or they just don't vote in pointless online polls.

You're right about the Internet skewing Democratic -- international polls done by Reader's Digest and Gallup show only 60-80% going for Obama and 7-25% going McCain.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

how can this be a shock... the economist has been supporting obama's presidency in every single issue i've read the last few months.  the economist's position is fairly well-known on this.

america right now needs a president who actually has the respect of the world.

the Wii is an epidemic.

tax hike for people earning $250k. how is that good for the economy?
who will invest?

I heard on the radio today that Obama changed (he is for change) the amount from $250k to $150k.

Hope it doesn't change.

steven787 said:
Username2324 said:
"America should take a chance..."

That's just sad......

They are saying: America's in a really bad position and going in the wrong direction, McCain will keep that direction, Obama won't.  A chance at success is better than absolute failure.

Republicans:

"Stay the course, it's going to be tough"

Democrats:

"Try one idea and if it doesn't work, we'll try another. ... If it fails, admit it frankly and try another, but above all, try something"

Sound's like it's really easy to be a democrat.

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

I heard on the radio today that Obama changed (he is for change) the amount from $250k to $150k.

Hope it doesn't change.

On the campaign trail, in his speeches Obama says 250K$. In his infomercial Wednesday, He said 200K$, but the next day and since he has been back to saying 250K$.

Joe "The" Biden has said 150K$. I don't know if that is his own belief or if he made a mistake.

The Economist... thats the highly credentialed rgiht-leaning British economy magazine, right? If so thats crazzy. All signs lead to an Obama blowout.

I'd say Obama is the best bet for not just the US, but for the global economy. I read somewhere that he is not only endorsed by the general world populace, but by investors and stockbrokers aswell. A victory for Obama would lead to increased stock growth as traders gain more confidence so.. he'll work the economy even before doing anything :D!

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

perpride said:
steven787 said:
Username2324 said:
"America should take a chance..."

That's just sad......

They are saying: America's in a really bad position and going in the wrong direction, McCain will keep that direction, Obama won't.  A chance at success is better than absolute failure.

Republicans:

"Stay the course, it's going to be tough"

Democrats:

"Try one idea and if it doesn't work, we'll try another. ... If it fails, admit it frankly and try another, but above all, try something"

Sound's like it's really easy to be a democrat.

Now, I'm not going to agree to the above description of what a republican does and a democrat, but in this example the democrat is pragmatic. Pragmatism can be alot easier than idealism (though it's not a sure thing), and it gets more accomplished to boot. I would always always always pick a pragmatist to be in a position of authority than an idealist. Why people think that idealists should have power instead of pragmatists is beyond my comprehension.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Dogs Rule said:
Coca-Cola said:
who will invest?

Hope it doesn't change.

On the campaign trail, in his speeches Obama says 250K$. In his infomercial Wednesday, He said 200K$, but the next day and since he has been back to saying 250K$.

Joe "The" Biden has said 150K$. I don't know if that is his own belief or if he made a mistake.

This is a common misconception.  The $250K amount is for families, and the $150K amount is for single filers.  Most people making that much do have a family, so Obama isn't telling the whole truth, but for all practical points and purposes he is telling most of the truth.  The percentage of people making $150K by themselves is less than 2% of the country.  It might even be less than 1%.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson