By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft say that PS3 will be $399 by christmas

In Japan they still have the 20GB wasn't it? Is there any news about the 65nm chip model lately?

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

I'd rather they get rid of the blu-ray reader than ditch backwards compatibility or wifi.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I dont think they would take the extra features out like the slots and wifi.If Sony were to release a 40GB it wouldnt be good it would be better to either stick with the 60GB and lower the price to $399 or lower the price of the 80GB to $399 then the sales will roll in.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

thetonestarr said:
I'd rather they get rid of the blu-ray reader than ditch backwards compatibility or wifi.

if they did this you wouldnt be able to play games. 

All good and well. It's a plausible scenario. But....

I rather see them discussing the XBox 360 hardware defects and speak clearly on how they intend to take care of all the mounting issues like DVD drive related probems and overheating, how they are going to reduce repair times and improve their customer service, everything we have heard so far is either just downplay or pretty vague on how exactly this will improve for the future. Talking about XBox 360's pricing strategies seems far more relevant for them to be talking about as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

If MS actually believes this, then it has no excuse for not substantially price dropping the 360 soon.

HappySqurriel said:

Whether this is true or not, Microsoft is pretty smart for suggesting the PS3 will be $399 by Christmas.

We really don't know how many 60GB PS3 systems need to be sold before the $599 SKU is the only PS3 that is available but (for argument's sake) assume they have enough systems to last until September 1st.

The suggestion of a $399 model from a 'respected' source will spawn all kinds of rumors and news stories (and endless blog posts). In september when anyone even Googles "PS3" they will be forced to read this speculation; some people will even misunderstand the articles and assume the manufacturer of the PS3 was announcing a price reduction (either they think Microsoft produces the PS3 or they have a brain fart and misread Microsoft as Sony). The result of this is people begin anticipating a price drop on the PS3 and hold off buying more systems ...

This puts Sony in a bad position, either they reduce the PS3's price again (start looking desperate by reducing the price of the PS3 twice in 1 year) or they lose the sales of people who misunderstood Microsoft's intentions.

Yes ,the usual crap by Microsoft lying about the product or intentions of their rivals to discourage people spending in it .I hope this kind of stinking marketing doesnt succeeds ...again .

Wow if this is actually a ploy by Microsoft to discourage buying PS3s right now, I applaud them in their effort. Doubt it works though.

Since MS came into the Gaming Industry its just gotten dirty and full of lieing bags of scum mainly from MS but there are others i dont remember this kinda thing in the PS1 era when all the companies were honest and truthful now MS has started this and companies now just take potshots at one another never used to happen even the dev teams are turning on each other.

If you remember people, Sony are losing money on each PS3 sold. Any further (even temporary) price reductions would lead to great sales but even greater losses.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.