By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Loyalty to a game console or loyalty to a game franchise?

IMO, when a particular game franchise I love comes out exclusively for a console that I don't have, it depends. When Resident Evil 4 came out on Gamecube first, I almost ended up getting a gamecube and Resident Evil 4. As much as I love the Resident Evil franchise, I was dissapointed since the roots of the Resident Evil franchise came out started out on the PSone. And i have a PS2. Good news came a few months later when Capcom announced Resident Evil 4 for the PS2. I saved myself $100.00 or $150.00 (can't remember how much Gamecube costed in 2004).

Its good to see that 3rd party developers are mostly going mulitplatform since developing this gen consoles (PS3, 360) is expensive. Sure having exclusive is what sells consoles. One example is Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3. I became a playstation fan back in the PSone era due to games like Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, etc. But now things changed and loyalty shifted in the market. PS3 is in last place due to losing exclusitivity and being more expensive than the competition. Now Sony lost some of the 3rd party excluvies that made the Sony Playstation in the first place. Final Fantasy 13, Tekken 6 are a few of those examples. It doesn't matter much to me because it will still come to the PS3, but what if it didn't come to the PS3? 

Sony thinks by having the brand of "The Sony Playstation" is enough to be successful. They had a good reputation during the PSone and PS2 era and they sure crushed the competion, but now thats not the case with the PS3. I still think the PS3 is a great console and does everything you want. BluRay player, Powerful system, free online, and much much more.    

My question to you is:

1. Which matter most? Loyalty to a console or Loyalty to a franchise you love?

2. if you don't get a game you love because your not a fan of that particular console or don't feel like wasting extra hundred of bucks for another console, does that mean your not loyal to the game franchise you love or something else?

3.Will you still be loyal to the Sony Playstation brand despite a few hiccups?

Around the Network

1.- Loyalty to franchises
2.- That will never happen all my favorite franchises are from Nintendo.
3.- I had a PS1 but no game in PS2 made me buy one.

If your "loyalty" to a console or company prevents you from playing games on other consoles or by other companies strictly because of their origins, then you have a serious problem.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

i have loyalty to sony because of their first party games. any other reason for loyalty is foolish.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

RED53DEVILS said:

My question to you is:

1. Which matter most? Loyalty to a console or Loyalty to a franchise you love?

2. if you don't get a game you love because your not a fan of that particular console or don't feel like wasting extra hundred of bucks for another console, does that mean your not loyal to the game franchise you love or something else?

3.Will you still be loyal to the Sony Playstation brand despite a few hiccups?

1. In our market system, loyalty to a product is stupid (fanboys who want to be sure they didn't blow their money on something), it makes you spend more money (on a brand) for nothing. But to answer the question I would say loyaty to a franchise.

2. No it means it is just too expensive. Again this is capitalism. I don't want to blow 200 extra Euros for playing MGS4 and KillZone 2 just because Sony fucked it up ! I would like to but I won't !

3. No, I abandonned Sony at the PS2 generation because I was enraged by the PS3 lack of offer/content and insane pricing and delay.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

I am a Mario and Final Fantasy fan. For the past decade I've had to plan to buy too many consoles...

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

My loyalty is mostly to developers.

PS Exclusive Devs That Keep Me Coming Back
Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo)
Naughty Dog (Everything they make is gold)
Insomniac* (Spyro, Ratchet, and Resistance are all sold titles, and they always hit release dates)
Kojima Productions* (Metal Gear Solid)
Quantic Dreams* (Indigo Prophicy was one of the most epic PS2 games, and Heavy Rain has a chance at a nobel peace prize if it come thru)
Team Ico (Have these guys ever messed up)
Sony Santamonica (God of War, Warhwak w/Incognito, master programmers and support for nearly every FPG Sony makes)
London Studios (Innovative, and powerful. Getaway was one of my favorites last gen, and Eyetoy sigle handedly started the casual market)
Gurillia Games (Killzone 1 was a very good PS2 game. With Liberation they showed they can do good things. Now under Sony and with more experiance, this has become one of the best developers in the world)
Sony San Deigo (If you like Baseball games these guys have been the best in the buisness for the last 4 years, and in the PSOne days they had an epic battle going with EA. They used to be called 989)
Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper was a very unique game that never failed to entertain me. So far Infamous has my attention)
Zipper Interactive (Socom made online gaming on consoles. When we did not here from them for 3 years I knew something major was going to be announced and M.A.G. has got awsome all over it)
Evolution Studios (new comer, but they will bring me back to PS4. Motorstorm fits nicly in with GT and Burnout.)

Microsoft Exclusive Devs That Keep Me Coming Back
Turn 10 (Forza was the first game to even pretent to go after GT and for that I respect this dev)
Bungie* (Halo is like American history)
Bizzare Creations** (Project Gotham why I got an Xbox in the first place)

Nintendo Devs That Keep Me Coming Back
They all have moved on to multiplat or are working for other companies. Nintendo is why I can not stick to only franchises as a seller. Mario, Zelda, and Star Fox sold me on the NES, SNES, and the 64. Then the Gamecube came and the games started to go away from what made them special to me. Now with the Wii Nintendo has basically said they don't want my money. They are making enough shoving out crap games and laughing as uninformed shoppers by into their gimmics.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL