By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cnet: How Sony is Killing the PS3

Kyros said:
Nintendo has always made money on their consoles.

Yeah and the last two generations they have been beaten down with a big stick by the Playstation competition that didn't do that. If they wouldn't have their hugely successful inhouse games and the profitable handheld business the Gamecube would have made a Dreamcast last gen. So that's no great advice either.

The problem is that if they loose out to the 360 this christmas we may start to see the crappy ports again that defined the beginning of this gen. Don't want.

What on earth are you talking about?  The reason they lost last two gens had nothing to do with the fact they were selling the console at a profit.  It was due to a head start for PS1, developers being driven to the PS1, brand name for PS2, an early start, games, etc.  Selling at a profit is the best advice you can give to any console manufacturer.  You just need to look at Nintendo's recent financial reports to see that. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

had nothing to do with the fact they were selling the console at a profit.

The PS1 had a CD drive and better graphics (translation it was more expensive to make).

The PS2 had a DVD drive and was out earlier (translation it was more expensive to make at the time it was released)

If Sony had sold them at the price they were making them things would have been different. The reason you give are in addition to that.

ahh more signs of consumers thinking they have years of experience about profits and running a business. when will people learn.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Kyros said:
had nothing to do with the fact they were selling the console at a profit.

The PS1 had a CD drive and better graphics (translation it was more expensive to make).

The PS2 had a DVD drive and was out earlier (translation it was more expensive to make at the time it was released)

If Sony had sold them at the price they were making them things would have been different. The reason you give are in addition to that.

Uhh besides the ability to play FMV (which isn't to be understated in this situation) the PS1 had inferior graphical capabilities to the N64. The CD drive, game price, and Nintendo's blowhard stance towards developers was the real death nell there.

Sony dropped prices on the PS1 to compete with the Saturn initially, and forced Nintendo to do the same. The loss they were taking was never significant so it was never that big of a deal in relative comparison. The PS2 obviously took a larger loss, but Sony was in the position at the time to take a loss. That being said, having a one year head start to build a market base sure helped a lot more than dropping the price at near the exact same time as both of its competitors.

On another note, why is this guy getting crucified for suggesting that Sony is making a poor market decision? They obviously could use a bump to get them above their current sales position and it seems sort of like their current strategy isn't working. Sony has made a lot of mistakes this generation, which I don't think you can fault the writer of this article for noting. the fact that he suggest that they are really hurting themselves in this market to keep investors happy in the short term does not seem to be such a terrible conclusion.

Kyros said:
Nintendo has always made money on their consoles.

Yeah and the last two generations they have been beaten down with a big stick by the Playstation competition that didn't do that. If they wouldn't have their hugely successful inhouse games and the profitable handheld business the Gamecube would have made a Dreamcast last gen. So that's no great advice either.

The problem is that if they loose out to the 360 this christmas we may start to see the crappy ports again that defined the beginning of this gen. Don't want.

Nintendo has always been able to profit, even in the N64 and Gamecube days.  Selling their consoles at a loss would have hurt their ablilty to so that.  That is very important since Nintendo is all about gaming, but Sony has other divisions to fall back on in case they do make a mistake.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
truthiness said:

On another note, why is this guy getting crucified for suggesting that Sony is making a poor market decision? They obviously could use a bump to get them above their current sales position and it seems sort of like their current strategy isn't working. Sony has made a lot of mistakes this generation, which I don't think you can fault the writer of this article for noting. the fact that he suggest that they are really hurting themselves in this market to keep investors happy in the short term does not seem to be such a terrible conclusion.

I don't think that is why people are saying he is wrong.  Sony has definitely made many mistakes this gen, the biggest of which is probably coming out with such a high priced console to begin with.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but it sounds like most of us think that price cuts would be bad in the long term for Sony right now.  The game division has already lost a lot of money, and I don't think compounding that problem right now would be a good decision.  PS3s are selling about on par with the 360 right now, even though it is more expensive.  That is a decent position to be in, so they can wait until manufacturing costs come down even more before making a price cut.

No matter what anyone does, it looks like 2nd and 3rd place are going to be very close this generation.  That means it is just not worth it to go overboard to try and change that.  It is probably better to make some money, and reload for next generation.  Then you can make better decisions from the start, instead of trying to hit the hail mary pass right now.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

That is very important since Nintendo is all about gaming, but Sony has other divisions to fall back on in case they do make a mistake.

Exactly. Not subsidizing their consoles is no virtue or something that somehow makes their consoles more successful, but a necessity. Nintendo also could do this because they have some incredibly successful software titles so they always have a core of customers and games. If other manufacturer like Sega loose a generation they totally loose developer support and die.

I didn't read it, mainly because all these articles say the same thing in them.

This is getting old and out of hand, please don't post anymore of these.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Sony is cool calm and collected. Good thing cnet and a lot of ignorant people aren't running Sony cuz they would have pissed their pants out of the gate by now. Go on Sony. Do your thing. All in good time :)

This article would of been fine if they just replaced Sony with Nintendo, then I probably wouldn't have cared to read any of it. But I actually wanted to see what they could come up with.

By the by isn't CNET owned by Microsoft?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D