By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cnet: How Sony is Killing the PS3

DMeisterJ said:

Another failed CNet article?

Didn't they post the PS3 is Sony's last console thing too?

Edit-NVM that was another website.

Still, the PS3 hate is getting kind of sad as of late.

I wouldn't say it's hate, there are a lot of business flaws going on with sony that need to be fixed before the bad happens. People are just expressing there opinions of things are not looking good, and anyone that is denying there's nothing wrong is purely blind  IMO.

Around the Network

PS3 ain't PS2, that's for sure, but despite the crisis it is faring better than before last Xmas season, when it started a long period of jolly good sales, so I really don't know what kind of weed they smoke at Cnet.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
PS3 ain't PS2, that's for sure, but despite the crisis it is faring better than before last Xmas season, when it started a long period of jolly good sales, so I really don't know what kind of weed they smoke at Cnet.

the type that inspires you to write moronic editorials

Dryden said:
Clearly written by someone with a position that does not include holding any SNE shares. When a global recession, reduced consumer spending, and a strong yen all push your stock price to 15-year lows, you have to look for carrots to appease the shareholders.

As for the PS3 price issue, it's doing perfectly fine without a price-drop. Unless the figures in the vgchartz non-cumulative weekly sales data are wrong, the PS3 has outsold the 360 approx 40 of the past 52 weeks. Using this weeks figures as an example (where the 360 has just recently overtaken the PS3 again), the 360 sold 178.6K units, while the PS3 sold 158.8K units. So of the total units sold between the two, MS had a 52% share and the PS3 had a 48% share.

No. SONY isn't slashing prices and going back to selling the hardware at a loss to make-up 20K unit sales per week right when the thing is finally going to hit profitability for Black Friday 2008. Unit and game sales will have the division back in the black again in the next Q, then SONY will look at escalating price cuts through 2009 to sell units and drive manufacturing costs down.

I think the concern is that if they don't drop the price this Christmas season the 360 price advantage combined with the credit crunch would mean that 360 is a much better gift option (for one's self or for others) with the result that PS3 would lose out on a great number of sales and not just 20k a week difference as is the current position.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

darthdevidem01 said:
Yeah we can see clearly PS3 is "dying" by being outsold by a console half its price by 20K

Yes, but the console outselling it by 20k isn't exactly having robust sales. (And still has a 5.5m WW cushion) See, if the PS3 was in a close fight, 20k down from the #1 console, they'd be just fine. Both Sony and MS are having disappointing sales right now... the issue is that sony's sales are disappointing for a company only shooting to capture 2nd place.

Around the Network

The PS3 and the Wii hate is sad and stale.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

If Sony really wants to do the right thing and address its issues, it needs to drop the price of the Playstation 3. It's as simple as that. I know Sony will try to make a cockamamie claim that by dropping the price, it will operate at a loss and lose even more revenue, but let's be honest with ourselves: every single console maker sells consoles at a loss for a while and once it hits critical mass in its production cycle, it can operate at a profit.

Nintendo has been selling the Wii at a profit since launch.  Nintendo has always made money on their consoles.  This guy doesn't really know wha he is talking about.

Sony taking more loses on the PS3 would be a very bad idea right now.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The author is Don Reisinger who is an ego driven blowhard. If you ever listen to his podcast, the digital home, it usually nothing but full of hot air and angry rants about all kinds of things in digital world. He reminds me of the Bill O'Reilly of the tech world. He slams everything because it gets him downloads or page clicks. He is far from a credible journalist in my opinion.

I'm just saying...

Nintendo has always made money on their consoles.

Yeah and the last two generations they have been beaten down with a big stick by the Playstation competition that didn't do that. If they wouldn't have their hugely successful inhouse games and the profitable handheld business the Gamecube would have made a Dreamcast last gen. So that's no great advice either.

The problem is that if they loose out to the 360 this christmas we may start to see the crappy ports again that defined the beginning of this gen. Don't want.

What a ridiculous article. The PS3 is not sinking anywhere.....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot