By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - On the Death of Next-Gen in Japan

I understand this is a long read, but I agree with what is said in the article.  It pretty much sums up why the 360 is starting to get a little traction in Japan as well.  It's all about the Benjamins (cold hard cash).

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/analysis-on-the.html

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Around the Network

interesting read

PS3 will be lucky if it outsells GameCube in Japan.

haxxiy said:
PS3 will be lucky if it outsells GameCube in Japan.

I beg to differ...I still see some serius steam being picked up from some big games.

- would you like to bet some kindof ban?

But still, the Wii:PS3 weekly ratio in Japan seems to be comparable to the PS2:GCN ratio back then.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

@haxxiy

you don't understand what having Final Fantasy exclusive will eventually do to PS3

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

perpride said:

I beg to differ...I still see some serius steam being picked up from some big games.

I wasn't aware that selling 4100 PS3s last week amounted to "serious steam" (source Famitsu). That's the lowest weekly sales ever for the PS3.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=------&weeks=101
It isn't that far-fetched at all, at least by now. I really hope like 6m lifetime sales for PS3 in japan. Thanks due to PS3 magical savior: FF13.

darthdevidem01 said:
@haxxiy

you don't understand what having Final Fantasy exclusive will eventually do to PS3

FFX sold 3 mil in Japan, FFXII sold 2,4 mil. I guess FFXIII will sell about 2 mil. Maybe a 250k PS3 boost first week.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

For the longest time people in the western world have commented on the "Quirky" nature of many/most Japaneese games and never really understood why people bought these games. The truth is that the Japaneese gaming industry has been heavily focused on unique gaming experiences for a very long time which was one of the reasons why the Arcades survived much longer in Japan, and one of the reasons why "Quirky" games have done so well. The PS3 and XBox 360 are not producing games which are dramatically different than what was produced on previous systems, and without the unique gaming experiences it is very difficult to attract the attention of the Japaneese gamer.

Big Budget Blockbusters will help, but they will (probably) only boost the PS3 to a level similar to how the Gamecube sold when you factor in the difference in industry size. In other words, the PS3 will (probably) outsell the Gamecube but the industry is so much larger that when you account for the difference the sales are going to be similar.