By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blue Dragon Demo-What Say You?

EGM was not really impressed with this game, the trailer shows a game that is too Jap. centric.
BTW, Lost Oddessey looks more like a Dynasty Warrior clone/

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

Fonz. One more trolling post in the X360 forums and you get banned.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I liked it and disliked it, the choice of demo was not very good, but I liked the hard mode. I'm so going to play the game in hard mode after trying both. RPG's and games in general tend to be too easy now.

I liked the music... except for the boss music.. it drove me nuts.. I swear to you, I practically had a tear in my eye when I first hear it a while back. I'm going to have to use the custom soundtrack stuff for it when I fight bosses.. Another thing, I hope they add an option to only see it once or skip it when it starts but some of the moves took a little long and I dunno about you but after seeing it ten times.. I don't want to see them wave their arms around much more. On moves like the ones where the shadow comes to life for a special move that's one thing, but the element infused attacks.. it's just too much as you can end up using 5 in a row if you really wanted..

Overall, good shaping to be a nice RPG with a lighthearted feel and decent fight mechanics but not as good as it could have been.

So you're telling me I should put the game on hard to get a challenge out of it?

That doesn't bode well for the game. I can't judge the actual game till I play the final version on my own and see what there is in it, but the demo was crappy.

Too uneventful, comat is too straightforward and simplistic and even I got pissed about the slowdown when I thought I wouldn't.

I'm still getting the game, just have lower expectations for it now. I expect Bioshock will be the best game in the month of August, that or Metroid...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Fonzerelli? Do not make a stupid comment like Lost Odyssey is a Dynasty Warriors clone when you know nothing about the game clearly.

There is a slight difference between an RPG and a hack and slash Action game. Just a slight one...

Around the Network

I'm excited about the game being an old school FF fan and all but still have to wonder how people ever got so hyped about this game in the first place. We had next to nothing to go on about what it was going to be like yet everyone assumed it was going to Chrono Trigger + FF6 X Awesome. It looks like this new company of Square defectors are gonna have a rocky start with their first challenge to the FF franchises. I will definitly enjoy the game, but I don't see it becomming a super major hit, or warming the Japanese crowd up to the 360. A new franchise is easy enough to ignore for anyone, no matter how good it could be, if you really want to force a market onto your console you need to entice them with proven franchises that already exist (FF, DQ, etc).

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

I never thought this would be a challenger to the stuff Square makes, but I knew there would be quality and it would be 360 exclusive.

Anyway, I finally got to play the other dungeon in the demo: Nene's Fortress.

And I have to say, wow. So much better than the other area of the game: better enemies, better enemy design, better music (both combat and normal) and better level design.

The two bosses are great, specifically the 2nd boss who I actually died against and will have to get back to later :)

Also, I especially like the really cheesy boss music, unlike someone earlier who absolutely hated it. I am assuming the makers of the game though the music was cool, but to me it's so cheesy and bad that it's good. It's like cheap rock or something.

On the other hand, the combat system is starting to grow on me, I still think the game is too easy and simple, but I not as much as I thought before. The touch I like the most is the radius thing where you can select how to fight enemies and you can go against one (group or unit) at a time or just take 'em all in waves both of which are good (especially the latter).

Another thing that I do like and forgot to mention is the craziness after you launch a corporeal attack. Very FF-like with all the long ass cut scene of crazy attacks from your shadow, not as beautiful but still very enjoyable in its own right.

The enemy art and looks are also starting to grow on me, especially in the Nene Fortress level. The enemies are weird, cool and interesting looking almost all the time.

I have to say my view on the game has been improved a lot based on how much I enjoyed this fortress compared to the other level which I thought was pretty lame frankly.

I was disappointed in the demo but I think that's largely due to me growing extremely tired of most games coming out of Japan lately with the exception of Capcom and N's first-party stuff.

It seemed to me I had already played the game umpteen times, though the art style was cool. I actually liked that part of the game.

Overall, this is going to probably be a $20 used purchase in a year or two when I'm more in the mood to play (suffer) through another JRPG.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

souixan said:
I liked it and disliked it, the choice of demo was not very good, but I liked the hard mode. I'm so going to play the game in hard mode after trying both. RPG's and games in general tend to be too easy now.

I liked the music... except for the boss music.. it drove me nuts.. I swear to you, I practically had a tear in my eye when I first hear it a while back. I'm going to have to use the custom soundtrack stuff for it when I fight bosses.. Another thing, I hope they add an option to only see it once or skip it when it starts but some of the moves took a little long and I dunno about you but after seeing it ten times.. I don't want to see them wave their arms around much more. On moves like the ones where the shadow comes to life for a special move that's one thing, but the element infused attacks.. it's just too much as you can end up using 5 in a row if you really wanted..

Overall, good shaping to be a nice RPG with a lighthearted feel and decent fight mechanics but not as good as it could have been.

Seriously, i felt the exact same way, i wasn't expecting anything big from this game, so im not really dissapointed, and to all that you said i would add the voice acting, the voices are really bad imo, and the battles are kind of tedious. The design and the music were ok.

I will probably buy it in a year or when there are no new games for me to buy because i actually liked some things of the demo, but in this end of year there are many more titles that for me are much better, Eternal Sonata is one fo them.

I'm with ckmlb, Blue Dragon demo was good but I was expecting a lot more. And after playing Eternal Sonata(Trusty Bell) demo Blue dragon looks even more average. Eternal Sonata is a sure pre-order for me, the art style is awersome, Blue Dragon is more like when I have 60 extra bucks I will buy it. I will watch the Blue Dragon anime to get some hype XD.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d