By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's financial report is up

quaiky said:

i also think in q2 they probably allready start ramping up productions to have enough consoles on stock for holiday season if thats the case then that will also lead to increased costs (since the consoles won't be sold instantly).

You can't just add one side of the equation into a financial report. If you produce some stock of a gadget, you obviously add manufacturing costs to your report. However, you now have new inventory and possibly removed some old inventory (components in stock to build the gadgets) which you have to give a value  =asset in your financial report. You can't put a zero in there. Exactly _what_ value you add there is one of the points I mentioned above which could tweak your bill to either side.

Around the Network
Spankey said:
johnsobas said:
Spankey said:
johnsobas said:
doesn't sound like good news to me. PS3 has been out for 2 years and they are still digging a whole for themselves. What's the total at now? -3.5 billion or so? It was like half a year ago everyone was claiming they were breaking even because sony wade a profit in the games division, now it's pretty clear that PS2 sales had made huge profits last holiday season that balanced things out. With that said they will probably get a profit again in the holiday quarter and go back to a small tiny loss after that.

That price drop everyone isn't looking like it will come soon. Luckily they are getting healthy sales without it.

@bolded: Please read the financial report at page 4 of the PDF.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q2_sony.pdf

Elsewhere in the report you will find the explanations you require.

Also, read this extract from FishyJoe:

An operating loss of ¥39.5 billion ($379 million) was reported, an improvement of ¥57.2 billion year-on-year.  
The decrease in operating loss in the current quarter was primarily due to PS3 hardware cost reductions and increased sales of PS3 software, as well as strong sales of PSP hardware.

Sony are not out of the hole yet, but they're certainly improving in the Games division.

Sony play the long game

I quoted the total loss with the PS3 since launch and you come at me that they reduced the amount lost for the quarter year over year.  Even if they start making a profit they still have to dig out of a 3.5 billion dollar hole they dug themselves into with the PS3.  Even if the PS3 started making money like the PS2 in its prime for the next 4 years (which it won't) it wouldn't even make back half that money.

They are still losing 379 million even at a $400 pricepoint 2 years into the generation, that is not good.  I don't know what kind of world we have slipped into where that is a good thing even considering all the trouble Sony has gotten themself into this generation. 

If there was a way i could spin it i would, it's just bad.  Like it i said the main thing Sony has going for them is that the PS3 is actually selling pretty well at $400 because they can't afford the pressure to lower it right now.

so you're saying a $500 million improvement over last year is a bad thing?

OK. From now on, when anyone improves by half a Billion dollars, I'll take your advice and say it's bad.

Shame on Sony for doing better.

It's an improvement from terrible to bad.  You can look at it as a good thing but fact remains they made a significant loss despite having the profitable PSP and PS2.  It is quite different from going from profit of let's say half a billion to profits of a billion.  The PS3 right now looks like it was a very very bad idea for Sony. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

To everyone in this thread that's trying to downplay the losses: SCE is supposed to make money. If things continue like this it will mean a third financial year of losses in a row.

This will have a negative effect on the games that Sony will release (Eight Days, The Getaway anyone?) and on Sony's next console.

The cumulative losses on the PS3 are enormous and will certainly lead to a change in strategy at SCE.

It seems like the usual suspects are trying to mainly focus on the bad news to downplay any success SONY has with the PS3. The big picture is that SONY is taking a hit to provide consumers a quality product with a growing demand while taking steps to help improve what they are doing to provide that product. I'm encompassing all while some of you are are not, painting a false picture of near total negativity when this is not the case. The PS3 would be a "very very bad idea for Sony" if operation losses stay the same if not worse while the demand for the PS3 has not increased. It's opposite has happened so it's reasonable to say that an encouraging positive outlook for the PS3 is deserved.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Look where the "losing money on hardware" strategy got them.

Sony as a whole did bad too. $200 million in profit, which is a 70% reduction from last year's figure and gives them a profit margin of 1%.

With the strengthening yen and the economy getting worse, they're going to get slammed this year and may have to restructure some parts of their business.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
It seems like the usual suspects are trying to mainly focus on the bad news to downplay any success SONY has with the PS3. The big picture is that SONY is taking a hit to provide consumers a quality product with a growing demand while taking steps to help improve what they are doing to provide that product. I'm encompassing all while some of you are are not, painting a false picture of near total negativity when this is not the case. The PS3 would be a "very very bad idea for Sony" if operation losses stay the same if not worse while the demand for the PS3 has not increased. It's opposite has happened so it's reasonable to say that an encouraging positive outlook for the PS3 is deserved.

The big picture is that you're in a financial thread and that making a loss is a bad thing for Sony. This is not a fanboy thing where you can argue whether sales are fine or not, losing money, your shareholders money, is a bad thing. Always.

Sure the Ps3 is doing fine saleswise, but if SCE is unable to translate in to positive figures that's not important. And yes, at this moment the PS3 looks like a very bad business decision, since they lost loads of money over it, despite the quality of the product. I don't ever see them breaking even on the PS3 project tbh.

BengaBenga said:

I don't ever see them breaking even on the PS3 project tbh.

That was pretty much a given from the moment they lost more money on it than they made on the PS2.

NJ5 said:

Sony as a whole did bad too. $200 million in profit, which is a 70% reduction from last year's figure and gives them a profit margin of 1%.

With the strengthening yen and the economy getting worse, they're going to get slammed this year and may have to restructure some parts of their business.

See, that's the key. Taking a loss in the gaming division is never a good thing while no one ever said it was.  But some users here who have done virtaully nothing but downplayed anything positive about the PS3 are claiming that the PS3 was a bad move by SONY when in fact we can account a lot of the losses was the cause of a failing economy.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:

See, that's the key. Taking a loss in the gaming division is never a good thing while no one ever said it was. But some users here who have done virtaully nothing but downplayed anything positive about the PS3 are claiming that the PS3 was a bad move by SONY when in fact we can account a lot of the losses was the cause of a failing economy.

That doesn't make sense. The PS3 was losing more money when the economy was "fine". Obviously the economy is not helping Sony as a whole, but it doesn't seem to be reducing PS3 demand. The strengthening yen hurts the gaming division, but I doubt this division would be in a much better position even if that didn't happen (in this quarter I mean).

Sony as a whole is a different story of course.

I'm telling you guys now, if theres a PS4 in a couple of years don't be surprise if they have taken a bite out Nintendo's business model in regards to hardware.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?