By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fanboy Hazards: Overinvesting in single games

CGI-Quality said:
Well ok Starcraft, why not make a thread like this AFTER LBP's first official WEEK of sales. Not broken street dates and filling preorder customers first. Then we shalk talk about the REAL sales of LBP.

he found the numbers to be low this week due to broken date,,,so he thought this might be a good opportunity to troll

Around the Network

we have torillian as a contributor on one hand ,a reasonable and well informed guy without any obvious bias,,,,,on the other hand , we have starcraft as a contributor who reeks of fanboyism.

day and night difference between quality of contributors on this website.

Kantor said:

But the difference between HD console fanboys and Wii fanboys is that HD fanboys shrug and move on, slightly annoyed, but WII fanboys make 700 threads about how the review system is broken and how *insert casual game* is far better than GTA or MGS.

Really??? I haven't seen any thread with those topics in a long time. Most of the topics on the Wii boards are "Nintendo ignore core gamers; Buaaaaa"

While I would agree that over hyping is indeed a bad thing, and can put an otherwise decent game in a bad light, I think that considering that we haven't even passed the release date of LBP yet, having sold over a 160k copies is impressive (even if it is for all the wrong reasons).
So yes, all the outragelsy fanboyish people are tearing themselves apart because LBP sold this little, but they don't realize that the game's "launch" can best be defined as staggered. To me, this means that one of your main arguments is quite hollow, making your entire post less credible.
Even so, your point is valid and I believe you are correct.

SpartanFX said:

we have torillian as a contributor on one hand ,a reasonable and well informed guy without any obvious bias,,,,,on the other hand , we have starcraft as a contributor who reeks of fanboyism.

day and night difference between quality of contributors on this website.

Hold on... torillian may be reasonable and might be able to appreciate another consoles strengths unlike others but it is pretty obvious which console he prefers.

Fanboy - no

Bias - yes.

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
CGI-Quality said:
Well ok Starcraft, why not make a thread like this AFTER LBP's first official WEEK of sales. Not broken street dates and filling preorder customers first. Then we shalk talk about the REAL sales of LBP.

he found the numbers to be low this week due to broken date,,,so he thought this might be a good opportunity to troll

Oh, he's definitely trying to rile people up. But despite his trolling he does have a point: people are getting too emotional about the numbers, and they're basically enabling him to troll all over them. They have for months by flooding the board with stupid memes like "LBP will be huge." Obsessive hype always comes with a backlash, just look at GTAIV. It didn't matter what LBP sold first week, circumstances or not. There would have been a backlash regardless.

My personal opinion on the situation is that LBP is not huge. Or rather it's not as huge as the hype around here suggested. Yeah, I know about the breaking street date, but this just takesme back to this same time in 2007. I believe Ratchet & Clank also broke street date, had low first week numbers despite the hype, and had a flood of messages saying "wait until next week!" From what I remember, the next week's numbers were lower. That's not necessarily going to happen to LBP but I've learned from this board that PS3 games have a nature of repetition when it comes to sales performance and hype.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
SpartanFX said:
CGI-Quality said:

Oh, he's definitely trying to rile people up. But despite his trolling he does have a point: people are getting too emotional about the numbers, and they're basically enabling him to troll all over them. They have for months by flooding the board with stupid memes like "LBP will be huge." Obsessive hype always comes with a backlash, just look at GTAIV. It didn't matter what LBP sold first week, circumstances or not. There would have been a backlash regardless.

My personal opinion on the situation is that LBP is not huge. Or rather it's not as huge as the hype around here suggested. Yeah, I know about the breaking street date, but this just takesme back to this same time in 2007. I believe Ratchet & Clank also broke street date, had low first week numbers despite the hype, and had a flood of messages saying "wait until next week!" From what I remember, the next week's numbers were lower. That's not necessarily going to happen to LBP but I've learned from this board that PS3 games have a nature of repetition when it comes to sales performance and hype.

You do realize that "LBP will be huge" started because almost everyone without a ps3 talked shit about it.... right?? I mean how many "LBP will flop" and "I don't see whats so great about LBP" or "LBP will recieve a metacritic score of 70-75%" or "LBP will sell 300k WW lifetime" or "I don't want to create levels I am not interested in this game" did we see before people started saying "LBP will be huge" also wouldn't all those posts by counter productive to the hype level? Shit LBP hype must be 0 with all the negativity its been recieving too.,

Ok Starcraft. You're treading on thin eggshells ( I like to mix my metaphors). I'm locking this thread down and if you try it again, banskies.

pronounced ban skis

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

LOL MATURE said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
SpartanFX said:
CGI-Quality said:

You do realize that "LBP will be huge" started because almost everyone without a ps3 talked shit about it.... right?? I mean how many "LBP will flop" and "I don't see whats so great about LBP" or "LBP will recieve a metacritic score of 70-75%" or "LBP will sell 300k WW lifetime" or "I don't want to create levels I am not interested in this game" did we see before people started saying "LBP will be huge" also wouldn't all those posts by counter productive to the hype level? Shit LBP hype must be 0 with all the negativity its been recieving too.,

LBP was hyped before that stupid little meme started and there's no way it couldn't have been hyped with the way Sony is pushing it.

Not to mention that this is a forum on the internet full of people with different tastes. LBP will get criticized and there will be people who legitmately don't like it or simply don't get what all the fuss is about. If you thought any of those things people were saying was bad, just look at all the Wii Music threads. That game has been under a constant hailstorm of flames and bashing by fanboys of all consoles since E3, and quite frankly if I can get warned for saying that LBP wasn't huge based on actual sales data but people who have never played Wii Music and never will can run into threads about the game and onto sales charts saying that it's a "crappy game" that "should bomb" or other dumb shit like "Japan has taste lol because it flopped" then there is clearly a double standard here. With Europe no longer being Sonyland, I guess VGC had to pick up the mantle.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Torillian said:
How about the "Editorial: PS3 Could Be Sony’s Last Console"? Seems like a pointless console war thread to me. The forums were already filled with gloom and doom for PS3 that day, but you found just one more article to add into the mix.

What about it?

I posted an article and passed no opinion on it whatsoever? I didn't see any of the "gloom and doom."  Even if I had, how is it my responsiblity?

It's ironic that Spartan criticises me over that, given his prolific anti-MS posting regime.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS