By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resistance 2 will get higher metacritic score than Gears of war 2!

@Selnor, I Respect that, Fair play

Around the Network
selnor said:
blazinhead89 said:
@Selnor. Killzone 2 is on new Hardware, Gurrila Games are now under Sony's Wing, Sony has Given internal help across the board to GG, From Insomniac, Naughty Dog etc, Killzone 2 is being Perfected as Much as is possible, And GG Are Using as much Horsepower as is possible from PS3 at this point in the console cycle (Not to say they are Maxing PS3 power limits, as Developers learn PS3 architecture even more, they may even discover something they can be done on PS3 that was thought impossible, or wasn't even thought of).
I Have heard from Numerous People playing the Multiplayer Beta , That the Graphics outstrip any Console game on the market now or before the end of the year. Also they Gameplay is absolutely amazing aswell, To use their words "It shits on any PS3/360 games graphics , And the Gameplay is even tighter than COD4's". Their words NOT Mine.
Keep in mind Single Player ALWAYS looks better than Multiplayer, so in Essence they are playing a stripped down Version of what the Single Player will be. All this with 3 Months to go. Killzone 2 is gonna be crazy. Roll on Febuary 09.

I'm hoping this game is win allround. I wanted the first to be awesome, it just wasnt. If KZ2 gets even close to the amazing hameplay of the Halo series I will be all over it. In terms of multiplayer I rate Cod 4 a 7. Halo 3 a 10. After playing Halo 3 online (especially the awesome new maps) COD4 is just well ok. You wont change my opinion on the graphics though. But I hope KZ2 finds enough gameplay advancements to gain for me an extra 3.5 points out of 10. Because 6.5 is what I'd give the first KZ after playing Halo 1 and 2 last gen.

I honestly don't know why you expect to like Killzone 2 at all. Halo 3 and COD4 have extremely different gameplay styles, and it looks like Killzone 2 is taking pages from what COD4 has done (and Team Fortress), not Halo 3.  If you didn't like COD4 much, I doubt Killzone 2 will be too different.

bobobologna said:
selnor said:
bobobologna said:
selnor said:
bobobologna said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
EaglesEye379 said:
Whats surprising (ok not really) is that most of the reviews cited graphics/presentation as a reason to put Resistance 2 down a bit. Like for example the Gamepro one:

Bigger, badder and better than the first, Resistance 2 improves upon the formula set by its predecessor in almost every way. Unfortunately, a handful of minor issues, such as less than stellar graphics, keep this game from reaching the high bar set by competing titles like "Call of Duty 4" and "Gears of War 2."

Gamepro has really been directly to the point lately. At least they didn't choose to go PC in their review and say "both games are equal," and just give Gears higher ratings in a couple of categories, like IGN.

They gave a real opinion. IGN was just afraid to give the nod to one game or the other.

It's funny that Gamepro says that it focuses on bigger brighter, less realistic environments when people usually blast games for having no color because real life (tm) has color.

They also say the stand out mode in Gears of War 2 is the horde mode. A mode where you bascially just take cover and defend from a horde of locusts. Then they blast Resistance 2's co-op campaign by saying that it offers limited variety of the pushing buttons and miniboss type. They even say that Resistance 2's co-op is repetitive, as if horde mode is infallible to the same issues.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Resistance 2 is a better game. I am not saying that Gears of War 2 isn't a better game. I'm just calling out that review site for having double standards. Every paragraph in the Resistance 2 review basically said "well there's this thing which is cool but...." while the Gears of War 2 sounds like a fanboy review.

It's all hype. GTA4 had a HUGE amount of hype leading up to it, multiple 10's from sites that had given out 1 or 2 10's in their entire history, and look at how the game really turned out. I think everyone can agree that Gears of War 2 had at least twice the hype surrounding it that Resistance 2 had. And that certainly makes a difference in review scores, especially these early reviews. But again, I'm not saying Resistance 2 deserves a better score than Gears of War 2. I have no way of knowing because I haven't played Gears of War 2. But I feel that Resistance 2 is getting an unfair amount of nitpicking.

Well the first Resistance wasnt a AAA game, and yes ive finished it. So R2 I had hopes would be better and it seems it is. But well, I didnt expect Halo, MGS4 or Gears type scores. This is one reason why I am holding out on commenting about KZ2's gameplay until reviews. Because the first was worse than R1.

What does what you wrote have anything to do with what I wrote?

You said R2 is getting an unfair amount of nitpicking. I'm saying thats exactly all I expected after playing the first. The reviews say the game is better, but not really uber. That I expected.

So I talk about how Gamepro has double standards.  I talk about how their Gears of War review sounds like a fanboy rant.  I talk hype is probably a factor in these reviews.

And then you talk about how Resistance 2 deserves to be nitpicked?  And how you expected it to be nitpicked?  As if Gears of War 2 deserves a free pass?

BTW, I'm not a fanboy, I did think that Gears of War 1 was considerably better than Resistance 1.  But it's annoying to see how much hype, fanboyism, and unprofessional journalism all plays a part in game reviews.  Especially for 2 heavy weight titles like Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2.  And I'm basing my opinion on what I've read in reviews so far.  I haven't played Gears of War 2, but I really doubt it doesn't have it's share of flaws for reviewers to nitpick on.

All I'm saying is I dont think it is nitpicking after playing the first. The same issues for me with the first seem to remain. Also niether of us have played either game. So Gears 2 may be as close as Epic could get to perfection this time. Alot of reviews are saying that evrything is pretty much perfect apart from some reviewers dont like the cliche story.

From the reviews from loads of Gears 2 ones, they say the following are the best in a game yet. AI, HD graphics, Level design, Production values and polish. Maybe it's not that good. But maybe they are right. Only when me and you get our hands on it will we know for sure.

blazinhead89 said:
@Selnor, I Respect that, Fair play

:). I'm actually a very reasonable gamer. I know I get dragged into graphics and stuff, and lots dont like my opinion (to be honest my top 5 is so close anyway it doesnt actually matter) but last gen PS2 was my top console. 42 games I owned. If KZ2 gets awesome reviews then it would take probably 1 price drop and just 2 more top exclusives after KZ2 and I'll own a PS3 to. After all I owned an Xbox last gen to. (Although Halo and NG were like the only real good games.)

well i think geow 2 is going to be good, but i think i am going to prefer resistance 2, and about killzone 2 why are we even mentioning it, that game is going to be epic no matter what

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

Resistance 2 just dropped down to 89% on metacritic, Gears hanging tough at 95% after 22 reviews.

89% for resistance 2? Oh boy , the so called gears killer may not even be a AAA title.

Gears Of War 1 & 2 rule supreme, time to champion your next gears killer sony loyalists (Killzone 2 allegedly)

So Resistance 2 now has the same ranking as Fable II. I guess it's still a good game after all. Or do the fanboys want to say they aren't both good, even with the same score

CaptDS9E said:
So Resistance 2 now has the same ranking as Fable II. I guess it's still a good game after all. Or do the fanboys want to say they aren't both good, even with the same score

Fable 2........... Magic

Sure, resistance is better than Gears of war, and more over, he is exclusive to PlayStation3 :D

Final Fantasy huge... watch my collection

Oh... Final Fantasy huge only on SONY system !

mamboula said:
Sure, resistance is better than Gears of war, and more over, he is exclusive to PlayStation3 :D

Gears of war 1 OWNS both resistance 1 & 2................ Gears of war 2 obliterates them both.