By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Two Years In - How The Wii Has Failed

kirby007 said:

The principle failure of the Wii and its Wii remote is in its promise of immersion through movement. When many people imagine what playing the Wii would be like after seeing the commercials and experiences of other players, they imagine an incredibly immersive experience.

The movement based controls of the Wii hearken to a completely visceral play session, becoming one with the virtual world in front of them. We all drooled at the opportunity to dive behind couches in our living room to escape gunfire, being able to replicate a real tennis match without leaving the house, or having a sword fight that was even more real and tactile than the ones we had as children with wooden sticks.

POSTED: 03.48AM PST, 10/28/08 - Brice Morrison - LINK

LOL, really? I hate the idea to hide in the couch or roll in the floor to play. However, I like the idea of twisting the remote to open doors or other stuff. I think it adds something new to the gameplay, it may get old after a while, but at least is something different than pressing a button, which we've been doing for 20 years.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

Wii and Fail doesn't match. Use the word "failure" to Microsoft with the RROD or with Sony with Their 3rd place. PS2 had many casual users that bought a PS2 just to get it gaining dust, that doesn't make the console a failure!

What promises? I'm still waiting for the PS2 to do Toy Story graphics in real time. Is that a failed promise? Does that make the PS2 a failure? All kinds of crazy shit was said about the PS2 that never lived up to the hype. But the PS2 is a success even if it didn't live up to some of the hype.

kirby007 said:

Waggle: The Empty Promise

The principle failure of the Wii and its Wii remote is in its promise of immersion through movement. When many people imagine what playing the Wii would be like after seeing the commercials and experiences of other players, they imagine an incredibly immersive experience.

The movement based controls of the Wii hearken to a completely visceral play session, becoming one with the virtual world in front of them. We all drooled at the opportunity to dive behind couches in our living room to escape gunfire, being able to replicate a real tennis match without leaving the house, or having a sword fight that was even more real and tactile than the ones we had as children with wooden sticks.

did people really expect this kind of stuff from the wii? because this just sounds retarded

I agree to an extent. I thought WiiMotion+ would be there from the start, and far too many games make use of the Twilight Princess method of motion controls. So far, two of my four favorite Wii games are last gen ports (TP and Okami, the latter of which makes great use of the motion controls despite being a port), one doesn't use motion controls at all (SSBB, though motion controls would only make the gameplay worse), and one uses motion controls very effectively (Mario Kart Wii - yet the hardcore players use GC controllers -_-).

The problem with the Wii is that 1. the controls aren't near as precise as I originally thought they'd be, and 2. many games just don't benefit from motion controls, like SSBB.

That being said, I love my Wii.  Games like MK and SMG are amazing, and use the Wiimote in excellent ways.

Besides, I will always buy Nintendo's consoles for Nintendo's games.

Around the Network

I wish I could fail like Nintendo does.

Baddman said:
kirby007 said:

Waggle: The Empty Promise

did people really expect this kind of stuff from the wii? because this just sounds retarded

That is a ridiculous expectation. None of that was ever promised. This is my beef with this article, he just makes assumptions without any actual proof or data to back it up.

Zucas said:
Strategyking92 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
I agree with this completely.

The Wii is no PS2 games wise....I only have 3 games for it...and I don't intend to buy any in teh future. Games wise it is really Gamecube 2....imo.

everyone says 3rd parties will come....but they have been saying that for 2 years now. If the wii doesn't give me a very good reason to own it soon....it may be replaced by a 360 at a profit (as the wii will sell for loads of $$$ at xmas)

ditto, although I already have a x360.

As I say to most if I can find 35 games and yall can only find 5 then there's an issue.  Either I like bad games or others have limited tastes/don't try anything. 

Now I don't know what it is but I'd say the majority of the Wii games I own have been good so it' most be the latter.  I think what you 2 need to admit though is Wii is a second console... not your first console meaning it's always going to get the shaft.  It's similar to my 360.  It's my second console and it gets the shaft when I buy games.  Currently I've bought very few games for it including: Burnout Paradise(never finished because it wasn't good), Orange Box(working on it slowly), Condemened(never finished and probably never will), Dead Rising(never finished because it isn't good), and Mass Effect(beat in 15 hrs and loved it). 

Now just giving those stats does this mean that 360 is a bad platform with no games because I've only bought 5 and finished one and liked only 2 of the 5.  No it doesn't... it just means it's a console that I don't buy many games for because my attention is focused elsewhere. 

It's important when you come in and discuss this that you don't let this get in the way of what the real meaning behind you not playing a certain console is.  Of course yall hav the liberty of having it slide becuase it's the Wii however in my scenario I'd get flamed forever for using that same argument about 360. 

If your going to say you don't like a console you have to have had supported it like a console you were going to like.  That should be the quote of the topic for those replying to this.

You do. We talked about this over lunch on Monday. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I can see the point the writer has. What most people fail to realize is that their expectations are too high. Nobody should have expected everyone to perfect the controls.

However, there are things that do work well with the wii-mote other than fps controls. I've talked before about the juke and stiff arm manuevers work great in madden. You twitch the nunchuck to juke and the wii-mote to stiff arm. It reduces the complexity of the controller allowing you more mindpower to focus on the game. The controls on SMG are nice too. While using the wiimote to spin isn't revolutionary, it is better than just pressing a button. Of course, that is a matter of opinion. Okami obviously benifited with the wii-mote. In fact, I don't think a mouse could have done much better with the brush. No More Heroes also...there are a lot of good examples of good wii-mote use.

Of course people who expected a first gen VR machine is going to be dissapointed. It just isn't realistic.

outlawauron said:
Zucas said:
Strategyking92 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
I agree with this completely.

The Wii is no PS2 games wise....I only have 3 games for it...and I don't intend to buy any in teh future. Games wise it is really Gamecube 2....imo.

everyone says 3rd parties will come....but they have been saying that for 2 years now. If the wii doesn't give me a very good reason to own it soon....it may be replaced by a 360 at a profit (as the wii will sell for loads of $$$ at xmas)

ditto, although I already have a x360.

As I say to most if I can find 35 games and yall can only find 5 then there's an issue. Either I like bad games or others have limited tastes/don't try anything.

Now I don't know what it is but I'd say the majority of the Wii games I own have been good so it' most be the latter. I think what you 2 need to admit though is Wii is a second console... not your first console meaning it's always going to get the shaft. It's similar to my 360. It's my second console and it gets the shaft when I buy games. Currently I've bought very few games for it including: Burnout Paradise(never finished because it wasn't good), Orange Box(working on it slowly), Condemened(never finished and probably never will), Dead Rising(never finished because it isn't good), and Mass Effect(beat in 15 hrs and loved it).

Now just giving those stats does this mean that 360 is a bad platform with no games because I've only bought 5 and finished one and liked only 2 of the 5. No it doesn't... it just means it's a console that I don't buy many games for because my attention is focused elsewhere.

It's important when you come in and discuss this that you don't let this get in the way of what the real meaning behind you not playing a certain console is. Of course yall hav the liberty of having it slide becuase it's the Wii however in my scenario I'd get flamed forever for using that same argument about 360.

If your going to say you don't like a console you have to have had supported it like a console you were going to like. That should be the quote of the topic for those replying to this.

You do. We talked about this over lunch on Monday.

Haha I refuse to admit haha.  And yea I do like a few bad games but whatever.  But not all of the games I like are bad.