By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just bought a PC-Engine, game suggestions welcome.

Whilst looking for LBP today to no avail (releases here Oct 30) I noticed a PC-Engine in one store. I sold my last PC-Engine about 15 years ago, so made an impulse buy along with six games: Necromancer, Neutopia, PC Genjin 3, R-Type I & II, and Vigilante. I also wanted Gunhed and any Wonderboy games, but they didn't have them in stock. The first two I just bought because they were cheap (no box or instructions), the others are games I used to own. Anyway, any suggestions for games to check out that I haven't already mentioned are more than welcome.

Around the Network

whats a pc engine? To me, as a dev, that means something entirely different from what you're talking about

Known in US as TurboGrafx-16.

I think he means gaming computer.  I would recommend against the term "PC-engine" because most people will mis-understand what you mean.

As to what games you should buy, it's tough to say without knowing what genre you are interested in, but here is a list.

fps: Bioshock; Call of Duty 4
strategy ->empire building: Civilization 4 w/BTS; Sins of a Solar Empire
strategy ->real time: World in Conflict; Medieval 2: Total War
western RPG: Fallout 3; The Witcher; Mass Effect

Those are some of the newer ones.  I could make a short list of some older games if you need less processing intensive ones.

aw see...now I wasted my time.
I thought your impulse buys were a little odd. I've never heard of some of them.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:

Ah gotcha! What was that one game... Keith in Alphazone or something? And Bonk's Adventure... those are the only games I remember for the TBGFX16

I love the pc engine and so glad u got one too!

what games you like ?

bardicverse said:
BKK2 said:

Ah gotcha! What was that one game... Keith in Alphazone or something? And Bonk's Adventure... those are the only games I remember for the TBGFX16

Yeah, Bonk's Adventure was known as PC-Genjin in Japan. I already bought the third installment which I owned first time around. Will definitely get the other two at some point as I haven't played those before. As for Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, only Japanese games are available here. Wikipedia says the Japanese version is called "Mashin Eiyūden Wataru (魔神英雄伝ワタル)", but I can't read Japanese, so how text intensive is it?

piggychan said:

I love the pc engine and so glad u got one too!

what games you like ?

Cool, I got the original white one, boxed with instructions too. I should probably have got the Core Grafx though, as now I'm going to have to pick up the AV adaptor (which at ~$40 boxed isn't cheap) when I go back to pick up LBP. I prefer the original white colour anyway.

I mainly got it for Shoot 'em ups and platformers, but I'm interested in good games from other genres too, except maybe RPGs as I don't speak Japanese.

Parasol stars, great co-op, bubble bobble sequel I think,
Chew Man Fu...I think the Japanese name is Be-Ball it is a fun co-op puzzle action game
Soldier Blade is a great shump, about on par with gunhed
Galaga 88 is also a winner
Cadash is good as well, co-op action rpgish game
Splatter house is a fun action game, plus you'll be able to play as Rick in his full Jason Vorhees knock off appearance, no crappy red mask for you

gunhed is blazing lazer in the US, isn't it? pretty sure it is, hope you find it that game is great
Man the turbo/pc-engine is great console I imported a duo because it was cheaper than a convertor and a cd and easier than a mod, Though I do have to ask what is the deal with all those resource management sims? seriously about half the Japanese games I own are resource management sims

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!